    look out for (eg., PCI Express Radeon X600 vs 9600 mobile etc etc).

    Cheers,
    Mark
    mark, May 12, 2005

  2. mark

    Daniel Guest

    mark wrote:
    > I'm looking at purchasing a new laptop, and want something that will suit
    > 3d games. Has anyone got a recommended model, or suggestions on what to
    > look out for (eg., PCI Express Radeon X600 vs 9600 mobile etc etc).
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Mark

    Off the top of my head, Dell Inspiron 9300 (in NZ & Aus).
    Daniel, May 12, 2005

  3. mark

    Daniel Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > mark wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking at purchasing a new laptop, and want something that will
    >> suit 3d games. Has anyone got a recommended model, or suggestions on
    >> what to look out for (eg., PCI Express Radeon X600 vs 9600 mobile etc
    >> etc).
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Mark

    > Off the top of my head, Dell Inspiron 9300 (in NZ & Aus).

    Current "special" for $4,698 NZD (incl.GST + delivery):
    E-Value Code: M510528
    Main specs:
    * 2GHz Pentium 760
    * 1GB 533MHz DDR2 RAM
    * 256MB GeForce Go 6800 Graphics
    * 100GB HDD
    * 17" Wide-screen UXGA LCD (1920x1200)
    * 8x DVD+/-RW
    * 802.11g Wireless

    (note: there's no case with this baby, so that will add another $30-50)

    However, I'm not sure if the Go6800 uses DDR3 memory (from what I
    understand the DDR3 Go6800 is the quickest mobile gfx on the market),
    specs only say DDR - but, it would still be pretty quick though.
    Daniel, May 12, 2005
  4. mark

    CSE Guest

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 09:30:46 +1200, Daniel <> wrote:

    >mark wrote:
    >> I'm looking at purchasing a new laptop, and want something that will suit
    >> 3d games. Has anyone got a recommended model, or suggestions on what to
    >> look out for (eg., PCI Express Radeon X600 vs 9600 mobile etc etc).
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Mark

    >Off the top of my head, Dell Inspiron 9300 (in NZ & Aus).

    Tomshardware and a few other sites have done decent review on Game version
    Laptops.

    Some sites have Tab's, some you have to do a search.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/index.html

    http://www.digit-life.com/

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/

    http://www.anandtech.com/

    Here is one this is very interesting

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mobile/display/acer-ferrari.html
    CSE, May 13, 2005
  5. mark

    mark Guest

    Daniel <> wrote in news:d60jhg$rok$1
    @lust.ihug.co.nz:

    > Daniel wrote:
    >> mark wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm looking at purchasing a new laptop, and want something that will
    >>> suit 3d games. Has anyone got a recommended model, or suggestions on
    >>> what to look out for (eg., PCI Express Radeon X600 vs 9600 mobile
    >>> etc

    > Off the top of my head, Dell Inspiron 9300 (in NZ & Aus).
    > Current "special" for $4,698 NZD (incl.GST + delivery):

    Currently it is $3,698 :)

    > E-Value Code: M510528
    > Main specs:
    > * 2GHz Pentium 760

    Do you know how this would (roughly) compare to a desktop Pentium 2.66
    processor from a few years ago? (ie., I don't have it here and can't
    confirm the model :)

    > * 1GB 533MHz DDR2 RAM
    > * 256MB GeForce Go 6800 Graphics
    > * 100GB HDD
    > * 17" Wide-screen UXGA LCD (1920x1200)
    > * 8x DVD+/-RW
    > * 802.11g Wireless
    >
    > (note: there's no case with this baby, so that will add another $30-

    50)

    > However, I'm not sure if the Go6800 uses DDR3 memory (from what I
    > understand the DDR3 Go6800 is the quickest mobile gfx on the market),

    Do you know how the Go6800 compares to the X600's?

    > specs only say DDR - but, it would still be pretty quick though.

    Thanks. I may check this out further once they have finished their web
    site maintenance. I'd like to choose customise, see if I can choose
    something with a slightly smaller form factor but similar features, and
    check the hard disk speed - in some cases a smaller drive is better
    since the rpm's are a lot higher (eg., 5400 vs 7200).

    Cheers,
    Mark
    mark, May 13, 2005
  6. mark

    Daniel Guest

    mark wrote:

    >>Off the top of my head, Dell Inspiron 9300 (in NZ & Aus).
    >>Current "special" for $4,698 NZD (incl.GST + delivery):

    > Currently it is $3,698 :)

    Excellent, even better :)

    >>E-Value Code: M510528
    >>Main specs:
    >>* 2GHz Pentium 760

    > Do you know how this would (roughly) compare to a desktop Pentium 2.66
    > processor from a few years ago? (ie., I don't have it here and can't
    > confirm the model :)

    In a nutshell it's faster. Particularly for games since the CPU core is
    the more efficient Dothan - more like an Athlon core, than a P4.

    >>However, I'm not sure if the Go6800 uses DDR3 memory (from what I
    >>understand the DDR3 Go6800 is the quickest mobile gfx on the market),

    > Do you know how the Go6800 compares to the X600's?

    Well, this is the tricky part. Apparently, there are 3 versions of the
    Go6800 and 3 versions of the X600 - I refer to the mobility versions.
    The top-of-the-line Go6800 will smoke anything on the market at the
    moment, but, the bottom-of-the-line model is about half the speed of that.
    Unfortunately, specific details (core & memory speed, size of memory
    interface, dedicated or shared memory, number of pipelines) for
    individual implementations of the mobility chipsets isn't made very
    visible - unlike the desktop counterparts (however, desktop gfx cards
    are sold as separate components, so it's in the interests of the gfx
    manufacturers - to some degree - to actually publish more specific
    details to differentiate from the competition).

    I found this for the Go 6800 specs:
    http://www.thechannelinsider.com/article2/0,1759,1768945,00.asp

    However, I think if you wanted an ATI gfx solution, then perhaps a
    Mobility 9700 would be a better performer than an X600.

    Sorry, dude, I suppose you'll just need to google for more specific info.

    Daniel, May 14, 2005