    else?
    Thanks people
    Wiz

    Wizard, Nov 8, 2003

  2. Wizard

    °Mike° Guest

    Here is my canned response about messenger pop-ups:

    You should install a firewall, since the messenger service
    uses ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
    firewall.

    To prevent the Messenger service from starting automatically,
    open the Services panel by typing...

    services.msc /s

    ....into the Start / Run box.
    In the right-hand pane highlight 'Messenger'.
    Right click and choose 'Properties'.
    Click the 'Stop' button.
    From the 'Startup Type' drop down, choose 'Disabled' or 'Manual'.
    'Apply / Ok'.

    More information:

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet
    Advertisement Appears

    Windows Messages
    http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

    How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger
    Service
    http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/messengerService.html

    How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
    XP-Based Computer

    Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

    Firewalls:
    ------------
    Outpost

    Sygate
    http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

    Zone Alarm
    http://www.zonelabs.com/

    On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 12:07:06 -0000, in
    <boim96$hfv$>
    Wizard scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 8, 2003

  3. Wizard

    Patrick Guest

    Wizard wrote:
    > windows xp, norton, webroot spysweeper, adsl, kazaa-lite.
    >
    > I keep getting a popup telling me that my system is vunerable to
    > popups and links to a site selling software to prevent popups. when I
    > pull up task manager it points to crss.exe. If I try to stop the
    > process it tells me it cannot and I dont want to go and delete it
    > manually if its something important. Have any of you guys had this
    > happen and how did you deal with it. Norton misses it, spyware
    > detection progs miss it so is it something else?
    > Thanks people
    > Wiz

    I do not have 'crss.exe' on my XP-HE, as far as I can see it should only be
    on a WinNT machine.
    On this 'Symantec' page (link below), said file is mentioned as being
    associated with a trojan.
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllw.nautic.html

    Perhaps try an online VirusScan.
    Free-Online-Virus-Scan
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    Free-Security-Scan

    Free-Trojan-Scan
    http://www.trojanscan.com/

    Patrick, Nov 8, 2003
  4. Wizard

    Wizard Guest

    I sorted it. I am on xp pro and it was a windows messenger thing, there is a
    newer thread with the cure posted in this ng.
    Thanks anyway
    Wiz

    Wizard, Nov 11, 2003