    Thanks

    bye

    Denis

    Askarius, Apr 6, 2006

  2. Askarius

    Merv Guest

    Why would you be designing new data centre infrastrucutre that is
    bandwidth constrained and thus would require traffic shaping ???

    Merv, Apr 6, 2006

  3. In article <>,
    Merv <> wrote:
    >Why would you be designing new data centre infrastrucutre that is
    >bandwidth constrained and thus would require traffic shaping ???

    Well, if you are a hosting company then you usually offer different
    bandwidths for different packages.

    For any kind of company, you might be wanting rate shaping as a
    prioritization mechanism, especially if your equipment does not
    support as many prioritity queues as you would like.

    There are companies that don't mind employees using the internet for
    optional services as long as it doesn't interfere with the efficient
    operation of the company.

    Or you might simply not have enough money to provide unconstrained
    bandwidth when some of your customers might be using bitTorrent or the
    like -- applications that will suck up as much simultaneous bandwidth as
    you give them, but which will live comfortably with bandwidth restrictions.

    Walter Roberson, Apr 6, 2006
  4. Askarius

    J Guest

    Walter Roberson wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Merv <> wrote:
    > >Why would you be designing new data centre infrastrucutre that is
    > >bandwidth constrained and thus would require traffic shaping ???

    > Well, if you are a hosting company then you usually offer different
    > bandwidths for different packages.
    >
    > For any kind of company, you might be wanting rate shaping as a
    > prioritization mechanism, especially if your equipment does not
    > support as many prioritity queues as you would like.
    >
    > There are companies that don't mind employees using the internet for
    > optional services as long as it doesn't interfere with the efficient
    > operation of the company.
    >
    > Or you might simply not have enough money to provide unconstrained
    > bandwidth when some of your customers might be using bitTorrent or the
    > like -- applications that will suck up as much simultaneous bandwidth as
    > you give them, but which will live comfortably with bandwidth restrictions.

    One option is the use of an actual traffic-shaping appliance such as
    the PacketShaper by Packeteer or the Alot NetEnforcer. The Packeteer
    ISP models are capable of enforcing SLAs quite easily.

    J, Apr 11, 2006
  5. Askarius

    J Guest

    J, Apr 11, 2006