What is available to monitor CallManager systems?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by David, Apr 30, 2004.

  1. David

    David Guest

    Hello,

    I'm unfamiliar with the Cisco product line and could
    use a little help. I've read enough on the Cisco web
    site to understand we could solve a customer's problem
    but I don't know the tools required or the effort
    involved.

    I've been asked to look at finding a way for a customer
    to watch for 'interesting' phone calls in a CallManager
    system. They have a mix of analog and VOIP phones.
    I've seen references to the SNMP, Telecom API, Northbound
    API, web interfaces, and all kinds of possibilities.

    On other systems these are usually advertised as CTIs
    (Computer Telephony Interfaces).

    I'm not sure what the customer wants to watch for yet.
    I've started exploring the possiblities after a salesman
    made an inquiry.

    What kinds of interfaces are available in the CallManager
    product? We generally use C++, but SNMP and Java can be
    used as well.

    Can you point me in the right direction to continue my
    reading?

    Thank you,

    David
    David, Apr 30, 2004

  2. David

    acydgod

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    Monitor interesting CM Calls

    Hi David,
    Calls within CM are all recorded in the Call Detail Records (CDR) and, depending upon your CM version, are available through different interfaces. CM version 5 and higher can export them via FTP to some FTP server you setup.

    If you want to setup rules to monitor these records, you might consider using a product like ClarusIPC from Clarus Systems. It has a module known as Voice Monitor which allows you to craft a variety of rules and look for interesting conditions to alert against. There are also features for:
    -CM reporting (both configuration and performance)
    -Automated testing (utilizing real, deployed phones in your environment)
    -Performance monitoring and alerting
    -Configuration Change Tracking
    -Remote phone control and troubleshooting

    If you are a reseller, this might be the simplest option to suggest a demo to your client. You can try to write an application yourself just for monitoring calls but might cost you more in time, support, QA than you want to get involved with.

    Good luck.
    acydgod, May 11, 2010