    the box used different terminology.

    I'm confused. what's an enclosure?
    , Nov 21, 2005

  2. Evan Platt Guest

    On 21 Nov 2005 12:19:06 -0800, ""
    <> wrote:

    >I bid on a product on EBAY advertised as an external USB Hard Disk,
    >which was pictured as being about the size of a palm pilot. What I
    >received
    >was an "Enclosure" as marked on the box. It was the Same product, but
    >the box used different terminology.
    >
    >I'm confused. what's an enclosure?

    enclosure

    n 1: artifact consisting of a space that has been enclosed for some
    purpose 2: the act of enclosing something inside something else [syn:
    enclosing, envelopment, inclosure] 3: a naturally enclosed space [syn:
    natural enclosure] 4: something (usually a supporting document) that
    is enclosed in an envelope with a covering letter [syn: inclosure]

    It's a 'box' you put a hard drive into to make it external.
    Evan Platt, Nov 21, 2005

  3. Todd H. Guest

    "" <> writes:
    > I bid on a product on EBAY advertised as an external USB Hard Disk,
    > which was pictured as being about the size of a palm pilot. What I
    > received
    > was an "Enclosure" as marked on the box. It was the Same product, but
    > the box used different terminology.
    >
    > I'm confused. what's an enclosure?

    In the context of external hard disks, enclsoures are just the box,
    power supply and electronics that provide the "USB-ness" and a
    physical box to put a standard hard drive into.

    An external USB hard disk is typically
    regular hard disk + USB external enclosure

    If you got a too good to be true deal on it, I wonder if maybe you
    thought you were buying an external hard drive, but really were
    bidding on just the enclosure for one. Or, perhaps the seller is
    making external hard drives by assembling low cost enclosures with low
    cost bare drives. Hard to say.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/
    Todd H., Nov 21, 2005
  4. , wrote in message
    :
    > I bid on a product on EBAY advertised as an external USB Hard Disk,
    > which was pictured as being about the size of a palm pilot. What I
    > received
    > was an "Enclosure" as marked on the box. It was the Same product, but
    > the box used different terminology.
    >
    > I'm confused. what's an enclosure?

    It's really no laughing matter that you are confused - you are, after all,
    as dumb as a couple of house bricks.

    Be honest, shit for brains, you thought you were ripping someone off with a
    view to buying a hard drive which must have been dirt cheap and potentially
    incorrectly priced, right? But instead, it appears you have no shame but to
    put yourself up for pillory and ridicule by declaring you got well and truly
    rogered, having purchased something that proves quite possibly to be worth
    less that you, for which you evidently paid over the top.

    Prick.

    --
    Marsey dotes
    And dosey dotes

    Mares eat oats
    And does eat oats,
    And little lambs eat ivy.
    A Kid will eat ivy too,
    Wouldn't you?
    Gloria Vixentart, Nov 21, 2005
  5. Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Gloria Vixentart spewed forth:
    > , wrote in message
    > :
    >> I bid on a product on EBAY advertised as an external USB Hard Disk,
    >> which was pictured as being about the size of a palm pilot. What I
    >> received
    >> was an "Enclosure" as marked on the box. It was the Same product,
    >> but the box used different terminology.
    >>
    >> I'm confused. what's an enclosure?

    > It's really no laughing matter that you are confused - you are, after
    > all, as dumb as a couple of house bricks.
    >
    > Be honest, shit for brains, you thought you were ripping someone off
    > with a view to buying a hard drive which must have been dirt cheap
    > and potentially incorrectly priced, right? But instead, it appears
    > you have no shame but to put yourself up for pillory and ridicule by
    > declaring you got well and truly rogered, having purchased something
    > that proves quite possibly to be worth less that you, for which you
    > evidently paid over the top.
    >
    > Prick.

    (hee hee!)

    I buy enclosures on eBay for about $11 or so. Nice little aluminum ones. And
    then I shop for really cheap drives. Way cool USB storage cheaply! But
    you're right - he didn't exactly read the fine print.

    --
    Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
    still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 22, 2005
  6. Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    <""> wrote:

    > I bid on a product on EBAY advertised as an external USB Hard Disk,
    > which was pictured as being about the size of a palm pilot. What I
    > received
    > was an "Enclosure" as marked on the box. It was the Same product, but
    > the box used different terminology.
    >
    > I'm confused. what's an enclosure?

    An enclosure is the case; it has no hard drive inside.

    But don't go by the box -- go by the item.
    Does it connect? Load as a drive?
    Then it's got a drive in it.
    Mitch, Nov 22, 2005
  7. Mikey Guest

    "" wrote:

    > I bid on a product on EBAY advertised as an external USB Hard Disk,
    > which was pictured as being about the size of a palm pilot. What I
    > received
    > was an "Enclosure" as marked on the box. It was the Same product, but
    > the box used different terminology.
    >
    > I'm confused. what's an enclosure?

    If it's used, probably the seller didn't use the original box.
    Mikey, Nov 22, 2005