    I would very much appreciate it

    Thanks in advance

    Martin
    martin, Feb 15, 2004

  2. martin

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:31:17 -0000, martin wrote:

    >Hi all
    >
    >I have been playing with proxy servers for the last week and just about
    >worked out how to use a proxy server with internet explorer. Tried using a

    Ummm... beyond entering the hostname / port and possibly exclusions
    there's not a lot to play with.

    >proxy server on winMX and found I need to use a socks4 or a sock5 proxy

    So you want to share files out? Thus you need to run your own socks
    proxy?

    >server. What is a socks 4 or a socks 5 proxy server?
    >
    >I've looked on Google and on the Web and not been able to find out what they

    Groan .....

    www.google.com
    Searched the web for
    socks proxy server

    Searched the web for
    public socks proxy server

    http://webopedia.com/
    search - socks proxy
    http://webopedia.com/TERM/S/SOCKS.html

    >are probably using the wrong search words.

    Could be.....

    Did you try here?
    http://www.winmx.com/support/
    Go to the alt.music.mp3.winmx newsgroup.

    >If anybody has any good websites about proxy servers if you could post them
    >I would very much appreciate it

    Links for what? Info http://www.socks.permeo.com/ or downloads or
    writing, communicating with?

    >Thanks in advance
    >
    >Martin

    Me
    why?, Feb 15, 2004

  3. martin

    °Mike° Guest

    SOCKS protocol
    http://www.socks.permeo.com/

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:31:17 -0000, in
    <DyRXb.6367$>
    martin scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Feb 15, 2004
  4. martin

    martin Guest

    > On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:31:17 -0000, martin wrote:
    >
    > >Hi all
    > >
    > >I have been playing with proxy servers for the last week and just about
    > >worked out how to use a proxy server with internet explorer. Tried using

    > Ummm... beyond entering the hostname / port and possibly exclusions
    > there's not a lot to play with.
    >
    > >proxy server on winMX and found I need to use a socks4 or a sock5 proxy

    > So you want to share files out? Thus you need to run your own socks
    > proxy?
    >
    > >server. What is a socks 4 or a socks 5 proxy server?
    > >
    > >I've looked on Google and on the Web and not been able to find out what

    they

    > Groan .....
    >
    > www.google.com
    > Searched the web for
    > socks proxy server
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 119,000. Search took 0.24 seconds.
    >
    > Searched the web for
    > public socks proxy server
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 54,500. Search took 0.39 seconds.
    >

    > http://webopedia.com/
    > search - socks proxy
    > http://webopedia.com/TERM/S/SOCKS.html
    >
    > >are probably using the wrong search words.

    > Could be.....
    >
    > Did you try here?
    > http://www.winmx.com/support/
    > Go to the alt.music.mp3.winmx newsgroup.
    >

    > >If anybody has any good websites about proxy servers if you could post

    them
    > >I would very much appreciate it

    > Links for what? Info http://www.socks.permeo.com/ or downloads or
    > writing, communicating with?
    >
    > >Thanks in advance
    > >
    > >Martin
    > >

    > Me

    Cheers for the link I did try the winMX help and support and the only thing
    I got was a message saying they were writing the help page.

    Thanks again

    Martin
    martin, Feb 15, 2004
  5. martin

    martin Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > SOCKS protocol
    > http://www.socks.permeo.com/
    >

    > On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:31:17 -0000, in
    > <DyRXb.6367$>
    > martin scrawled:
    >
    > >Hi all
    > >
    > >I have been playing with proxy servers for the last week and just about
    > >worked out how to use a proxy server with internet explorer. Tried using

    > >proxy server on winMX and found I need to use a socks4 or a sock5 proxy
    > >server. What is a socks 4 or a socks 5 proxy server?
    > >
    > >I've looked on Google and on the Web and not been able to find out what

    they
    > >are probably using the wrong search words.
    > >
    > >If anybody has any good websites about proxy servers if you could post

    them
    > >I would very much appreciate it
    > >
    > >Thanks in advance
    > >
    > >Martin

    Thanks for the link Mike very much appreciated
    martin, Feb 15, 2004
  6. martin

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Feb 15, 2004
  7. martin

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:31:17 -0000, "martin" <> wrote:

    >Hi all
    >
    >I have been playing with proxy servers for the last week and just about
    >worked out how to use a proxy server with internet explorer. Tried using a
    >proxy server on winMX and found I need to use a socks4 or a sock5 proxy
    >server. What is a socks 4 or a socks 5 proxy server?

    SOCKS is a protocol for proxying TCP traffic. V5 is basically V4 with
    authentication, plus it permits UDP traffic. It's a two-parter: you
    need a SOCKS proxy server that processes all the proxy requests, and
    the SOCKS client installed on the user's PC. When the user's computer
    makes a request, the client "socksifies" the request and passes it to
    the proxy server. The server processes the request, sends it to the
    required host, receives the response, and passes it back to the client
    where the client de-socksifies it so it can be treated as normal TCP
    traffic.

    >I've looked on Google and on the Web and not been able to find out what they
    >are probably using the wrong search words.

    Umm, try "SOCKS proxy"...

    >If anybody has any good websites about proxy servers if you could post them
    >I would very much appreciate it

    Hummingbird used to do a good SOCKS proxy client and server. Probaby
    still available from their site.

    Cheers,
    dan
    Dan Shea, Feb 15, 2004