    j Guest

    What is a "service pack"? For example, if a file says XP SP2, is it a
    complete XP operating system, or is it some type of add-on for XP?

    j, Jun 17, 2006

  2. j

    bmoag Guest

    A service pack is Microsoft's way of saying "I'm sorry."

    bmoag, Jun 17, 2006

  3. j

    dogbreath Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 06:56:34 GMT, "bmoag" <> wrote:

    >A service pack is Microsoft's way of saying "I'm sorry."

    Microsoft has never felt a need to say "I'm sorry." Microsoft will
    never admit that it ever made a mistake or ever distributed any
    software with bugs in it.

    But to answer the man's question, a service pack is cumulative package
    of bug fixes and security patches that Microsoft issues from time to
    time to cover its ass for mistakes it made in the earlier software.

    I can't answer the other question, because I don't know what j means
    when he says, "if a file says XP SP2." What does a file "say"? Is
    that its name? A requirement? A warning? What?

    dogbreath, Jun 17, 2006
  4. j

    Plato Guest

    bmoag wrote:

    > A service pack is Microsoft's way of saying "I'm sorry."

    No, its just a "free" upgrade.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 17, 2006
  5. j

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Duane Arnold, Jun 18, 2006
  6. j

    Travis Guest

    A service pack is a major upgrade to an operating system. SP-2 is a major
    upgrade. Microsoft used to use Windows 98 SE, Windows 95A (B, C). But it's
    easier to use SP-2, 3, 4 and stuff.

    Travis, Jun 18, 2006
  7. j

    Travis Guest

    Also, it free, unlike Windows 98 SE and those others

    Travis, Jun 18, 2006