    between 51 and 58 degrees C.

    Am I right?

    What should be considered a critical temperature?
    Richard Wright, Apr 19, 2004

  2. Richard Wright

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:13:23 +1000, Richard Wright wrote:

    >What temperature should I enter into software monitoring modern hard
    >drives, so that it gives me an alert when a normal operating
    >temperature has been exceeded?

    If you can find a S.M.A.R.T (if your disks support it) monitor then the
    thresholds should be built in (on the disks).

    >Poking around on the web suggests that hard drives can run safely at
    >between 51 and 58 degrees C.

    Depends no so much if you are right but if the figures you have are from
    the manufacturer or not.

    So do you know what the current temps are? That's likely to be more
    important how close / over you may already be.

    For my setup, a full drive bay with 4 disks and 2 or 3 mm gaps between
    them temps were in the low-mid 60's degC, which was most of the internal
    heat in the case - mounting an 80mm fan (blowing on to the drives) just
    behind the drives makes that a more respectable 25degC

    >Am I right?
    >
    >What should be considered a critical temperature?

    Not usually on the datasheet, so a good rule of thumb may be within 10%
    of the rated max temp for normal use.

    Me
    why?, Apr 19, 2004

    ishaq.imhisen, Apr 19, 2004
  4. Richard Wright

    NN Guest

    Be careful though if you have a CD or DVD burner near the drive(s). Those
    darn things run HOT! :( Especailly when burning. I hear the DVD drives are
    even hotter. Try one of those PCI card slot turbine blower fans or a couple
    good case fans to cool things down if your HD is running hot and/or near a
    CD burner.

    NN
    NN, Apr 19, 2004
  5. Richard Wright