    In the msdn, OpenProcess and EnumProcess use 32bit DWORD variables for
    PID. Is this a correct?

    Thank you.
    =?Utf-8?B?SG9vbg==?=, May 31, 2005

  2. Good question, I'd like to know that too as the documentation could be
    incorrect.

    Rafael Rivera
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com], May 31, 2005

  3. I believe its 64bit, good question, I will find you an answer.
    Joseph Conway [MSFT], May 31, 2005
  4. Andre Da Costa, May 31, 2005
  5. I stand corrected, they are 32bit.
    Joseph Conway [MSFT], May 31, 2005
  6. Andre Da Costa, May 31, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?SG9vbg==?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    M. Murcek, May 31, 2005
  8. M. Murcek wrote:

    > I think it's safe to say a 32 bit PID is long enough.

    Computing history would disagree with you.

    * IBM's "global demand for just 4 computers"
    * Bill Gates' "640Kb should be enough" DOS limit
    * 2-digit years
    * unix clock running out in ~2040 (unless it's been fixed)
    <insert favourite apocryphal sizing errors>

    > How many processes can one machine run?

    2^32 + 1, of course <g>

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], May 31, 2005
  9. Steve Foster [SBS MVP] <> wrote:
    > M. Murcek wrote:
    >
    >> I think it's safe to say a 32 bit PID is long enough.

    > Computing history would disagree with you.
    >
    > * IBM's "global demand for just 4 computers"
    > * Bill Gates' "640Kb should be enough" DOS limit
    > * 2-digit years
    > * unix clock running out in ~2040 (unless it's been fixed)
    > <insert favourite apocryphal sizing errors>
    >

    >> How many processes can one machine run?

    > 2^32 + 1, of course <g>

    Hi Steve, nice to see you here ;)

    --
    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa
    Christian Hougardy, May 31, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?SG9vbg==?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    Well, what I really meant was, how many are PRACTICAL before the CPU just
    slags itself?

    M. Murcek, May 31, 2005
  11. I thought Bill Gate set the record straight at WinHEC 2005 about him not
    saying 640k? ;-)
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 31, 2005
  12. Verified with Kang Su Gatlin on the 32-bit process ID. He also mentioned
    the pointer returned (handle) is 64-bit.

    Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/Rafael

    Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com], Jun 1, 2005
  13. Generally, you can trust MSDN not to contain simple sizing errors by now, If
    it says DWORD, it's 32 bits across platforms. All values that are extended
    on 64 bit OS are declared as DWORD_PTR.

    --
    Alex Feinman
    ---

    Alex Feinman [MVP], Jun 1, 2005
  14. Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:

    > I thought Bill Gate set the record straight at WinHEC 2005 about him not
    > saying 640k? ;-)

    I was not at WinHEC2005, so I don't know.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Jun 1, 2005