    two 256 sticks?

    Thanks!

    Julie

    Julie P., Apr 28, 2005

  2. Julie P.

    philo Guest

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:26:34 -0400, Julie P. wrote:

    > I have 512 RAM right now on my Dell Dimension 4600, which is about a year
    > old (I believe I have two 256 sticks, with room for two more). CompUSA has a
    > 512 stick on sale for only $39.99 after the rebate. Is that a good price, or
    > should I hold out for a better price? I know they always have blow out sales
    > for Memorial Day and July 4.
    >
    > There is no urgent need to upgrade my RAM.
    >
    > Also, can I slide a 512 stick in one of my extra slots, or do I have to use
    > two 256 sticks?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Julie

    the price looks ok...but is it "generic" ram
    or a known good, name brand...
    if the ram does not work , you are not saving any money.
    the "generic" ram, though it may be ok...can certainly be
    problomatic

    philo, Apr 28, 2005

  3. Julie P.

    doS Guest

    One 512 will work.

    doS, Apr 28, 2005
  4. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:26:34 -0400, Julie P. wrote:
    >
    >> I have 512 RAM right now on my Dell Dimension 4600, which is about a year
    >> old (I believe I have two 256 sticks, with room for two more). CompUSA
    >> has a
    >> 512 stick on sale for only $39.99 after the rebate. Is that a good price,
    >> or
    >> should I hold out for a better price? I know they always have blow out
    >> sales
    >> for Memorial Day and July 4.
    >>
    >> There is no urgent need to upgrade my RAM.
    >>
    >> Also, can I slide a 512 stick in one of my extra slots, or do I have to
    >> use
    >> two 256 sticks?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Julie

    > the price looks ok...but is it "generic" ram
    > or a known good, name brand...
    > if the ram does not work , you are not saving any money.
    > the "generic" ram, though it may be ok...can certainly be
    > problomatic

    thanks Philo! It is CompUSA brand 512MB PC2700 184pin DDR DIMM Memory
    Module:

    http://www.compusa.com/adproducts/product_info.asp?product_code=314792&pfp=ADPRODUCTS

    Julie P., Apr 28, 2005
  5. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "doS" <> wrote in message
    > One 512 will work.

    Thanks doS!

    Julie P., Apr 28, 2005
  6. Julie P.

    philo Guest

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:50:07 -0400, Julie P. wrote:

    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:26:34 -0400, Julie P. wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have 512 RAM right now on my Dell Dimension 4600, which is about a year
    >>> old (I believe I have two 256 sticks, with room for two more). CompUSA
    >>> has a
    >>> 512 stick on sale for only $39.99 after the rebate. Is that a good price,
    >>> or
    >>> should I hold out for a better price? I know they always have blow out
    >>> sales
    >>> for Memorial Day and July 4.
    >>>
    >>> There is no urgent need to upgrade my RAM.
    >>>
    >>> Also, can I slide a 512 stick in one of my extra slots, or do I have to
    >>> use
    >>> two 256 sticks?

    > thanks Philo! It is CompUSA brand 512MB PC2700 184pin DDR DIMM Memory
    > Module:
    >
    > http://www.compusa.com/adproducts/product_info.asp?product_code=314792&pfp=ADPRODUCTS

    I don't know how that RAM is...
    I guess you should ask them if you can return it if it does not work right...
    If there is a problem with it, it will turn up pretty fast

    philo, Apr 28, 2005
  7. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:50:07 -0400, Julie P. wrote:
    >

    >> "philo" <> wrote in message

    >> thanks Philo! It is CompUSA brand 512MB PC2700 184pin DDR DIMM Memory
    >> Module:
    >>
    >> http://www.compusa.com/adproducts/product_info.asp?product_code=314792&pfp=ADPRODUCTS

    > I don't know how that RAM is...
    > I guess you should ask them if you can return it if it does not work
    > right...
    > If there is a problem with it, it will turn up pretty fast

    Ok, that is what I will do!

    Julie P., Apr 28, 2005
  8. Julie P. wrote:
    > I have 512 RAM right now on my Dell Dimension 4600, which is about a year
    > old (I believe I have two 256 sticks, with room for two more). CompUSA has a
    > 512 stick on sale for only $39.99 after the rebate. Is that a good price, or
    > should I hold out for a better price? I know they always have blow out sales
    > for Memorial Day and July 4.
    >
    > There is no urgent need to upgrade my RAM.
    >
    > Also, can I slide a 512 stick in one of my extra slots, or do I have to use
    > two 256 sticks?

    You can get memory at those prices or slightly lower from newegg.com
    including shipping and no sales tax to pay, no rebates to mail in.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 28, 2005
  9. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Julie P. wrote:
    >> I have 512 RAM right now on my Dell Dimension 4600, which is about a year
    >> old (I believe I have two 256 sticks, with room for two more). CompUSA
    >> has a 512 stick on sale for only $39.99 after the rebate. Is that a good
    >> price, or should I hold out for a better price? I know they always have
    >> blow out sales for Memorial Day and July 4.
    >>
    >> There is no urgent need to upgrade my RAM.
    >>
    >> Also, can I slide a 512 stick in one of my extra slots, or do I have to
    >> use two 256 sticks?

    > You can get memory at those prices or slightly lower from newegg.com
    > including shipping and no sales tax to pay, no rebates to mail in.

    Thanks! I will check that site out.

    Julie P., Apr 28, 2005
  10. Julie P.

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Getting brave now huh.

    pcbutts1, Apr 28, 2005
  11. Julie P. wrote:

    > I have 512 RAM right now on my Dell Dimension 4600, which is about a year
    > old (I believe I have two 256 sticks, with room for two more). CompUSA has a
    > 512 stick on sale for only $39.99 after the rebate. Is that a good price, or
    > should I hold out for a better price? I know they always have blow out sales
    > for Memorial Day and July 4.

    How long is string? You don't mention a speed.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 28, 2005
  12. Julie P.

    trout Guest

    Julie P. wrote:

    > I have 512 RAM right now on my Dell Dimension 4600, which is about a
    > year old (I believe I have two 256 sticks, with room for two more).
    > CompUSA has a 512 stick on sale for only $39.99 after the rebate. Is
    > that a good price, or should I hold out for a better price? I know
    > they always have blow out sales for Memorial Day and July 4.
    >
    > There is no urgent need to upgrade my RAM.
    >
    > Also, can I slide a 512 stick in one of my extra slots, or do I have
    > to use two 256 sticks?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Julie

    That (and I'm assuming US dollars) doesn't strike me as a *great*
    price; particularly if you've no immediate need, and you'd have to muck
    about with a *rebate*.
    As mentioned by others in the thread; it's worth nothing if not
    compatible, so return policies would be as important as the price.
    --
    Me; I hate gimmicks like rebates. I'd wait for a better,
    across-the-barrel-head, price from a reputable source.

    trout, Apr 28, 2005
  13. "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > Julie P. wrote:
    >
    > > I have 512 RAM right now on my Dell Dimension 4600, which is about a

    year
    > > old (I believe I have two 256 sticks, with room for two more). CompUSA

    has a
    > > 512 stick on sale for only $39.99 after the rebate. Is that a good

    price, or
    > > should I hold out for a better price? I know they always have blow out

    sales
    > > for Memorial Day and July 4.

    > How long is string? You don't mention a speed.

    2700 was mentioned :)

    http://freespace.virgin.net/bigun.littleun/, Apr 28, 2005
  14. "Julie P." <> wrote in message

    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > > Julie P. wrote:
    > >> I have 512 RAM right now on my Dell Dimension 4600, which is about a

    year
    > >> old (I believe I have two 256 sticks, with room for two more). CompUSA
    > >> has a 512 stick on sale for only $39.99 after the rebate. Is that a

    good
    > >> price, or should I hold out for a better price? I know they always have
    > >> blow out sales for Memorial Day and July 4.
    > >>
    > >> There is no urgent need to upgrade my RAM.
    > >>
    > >> Also, can I slide a 512 stick in one of my extra slots, or do I have to
    > >> use two 256 sticks?

    i am suprised no one has asked,
    are the original sticks 2700 the same as the one you want to buy ??
    if not then dont use them together as they will only run at the slowest
    speed.
    but saying this .....i have bought two 256mb in the past,, and they will not
    run together.. each ram works fine but if i put 2 in the same comp then only
    one shows up....

    computers have one big virus.............microsoft

    http://freespace.virgin.net/bigun.littleun/, Apr 28, 2005
  15. http://freespace.virgin.net/bigun.littleun/ wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> Julie P. wrote:

    >> > I have 512 RAM right now on my Dell Dimension 4600, which is about a

    > year
    >> > old (I believe I have two 256 sticks, with room for two more). CompUSA

    > has a
    >> > 512 stick on sale for only $39.99 after the rebate. Is that a good

    > price, or
    >> > should I hold out for a better price? I know they always have blow out

    > sales
    >> > for Memorial Day and July 4.

    >> How long is string? You don't mention a speed.

    > 2700 was mentioned :)

    Later, it was. Crystal ball is out for repairs. :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 28, 2005
  16. "doS" <> wrote in message

    > One 512 will work.

    Are you sure about that?

    According to Crucial ( http://tinyurl.com/ytezx ) 184-pin DIMM modules have
    to be installed in pairs.

    Martin Harran, Apr 28, 2005
  17. "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > http://freespace.virgin.net/bigun.littleun/ wrote:
    >
    > > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    > > year

    CompUSA
    > > has a

    > > price, or

    out
    > > sales

    > >> How long is string? You don't mention a speed.

    > > 2700 was mentioned :)

    > Later, it was. Crystal ball is out for repairs. :)
    >
    > --

    what a sham blinky
    do you want to use my spare one :)

    http://freespace.virgin.net/bigun.littleun/, Apr 28, 2005
  18. "Martin Harran" <> wrote in message

    > "doS" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > One 512 will work.

    > Are you sure about that?

    but what is the point of replacing one 512 when u have two 256`s??
    the reverance to the pairs is if you are placing two moduuls then they have
    to be the same so that they are maching...

    http://freespace.virgin.net/bigun.littleun/, Apr 28, 2005
  19. "http://freespace.virgin.net/bigun.littleun/"
    <> wrote in message
    news:US0ce.11597$.. .

    > "Martin Harran" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "doS" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> > One 512 will work.

    >> Are you sure about that?
    >>

    > but what is the point of replacing one 512 when u have two 256`s??
    > the reverance to the pairs is if you are placing two moduuls then they
    > have
    > to be the same so that they are maching...

    I thouught that single sticks wouldn't work as the Crucial site says "These
    modules must be installed in pairs".

    Just to clarify this for me, my Dell Dimension 8300 came with 2 x 256 Mb
    sticks DDR 3200 installed. I recently added another 2 x 512 Mb sticks to
    take me to 1.5 Gb. Are you saying that I could have added a single 1Gb stick
    instead of 2 x 512Mb ?

    (Ignoring the fact that a 1Gb stick costs a lot more than 2 x 512 Mb <bg> )

    Martin Harran, Apr 28, 2005
  20. "Martin Harran" <> wrote in message

    > "http://freespace.virgin.net/bigun.littleun/"
    > <> wrote in message
    > news:US0ce.11597$.. .
    > >
    > > "Martin Harran" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "doS" <> wrote in message

    > >> Are you sure about that?
    > >>

    > > but what is the point of replacing one 512 when u have two 256`s??
    > > the reverance to the pairs is if you are placing two moduuls then they
    > > have
    > > to be the same so that they are maching...

    > I thouught that single sticks wouldn't work as the Crucial site says

    "These
    > modules must be installed in pairs".
    >
    > Just to clarify this for me, my Dell Dimension 8300 came with 2 x 256 Mb
    > sticks DDR 3200 installed. I recently added another 2 x 512 Mb sticks to
    > take me to 1.5 Gb. Are you saying that I could have added a single 1Gb

    stick
    > instead of 2 x 512Mb ?
    >
    > (Ignoring the fact that a 1Gb stick costs a lot more than 2 x 512 Mb

    <bg> )

    yes :)

    http://freespace.virgin.net/bigun.littleun/, Apr 28, 2005