    specificly about price for a used D100.

    Thanks,
    Bryan
    Bryan O. Fenstermacher, May 20, 2005

  2. Bryan O. Fenstermacher

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Bryan O. Fenstermacher" <bryan<~removethisstuff~>@fenstermacher.net> writes:
    > Just curious, what is an good / fair price for a used Nikon D100?

    A fair price is how much the seller could reasonably expect to get for
    it from an informed buyer who is seeking a D100, minus the opportunity
    cost of finding such a D100-seeker. I think you're interested in a
    different question, which is how much should YOU be willing to pay for it.

    The first thing you should be asking is "do you want a D100?". Some
    possible answers are: 1) yes, 2) no, 3) you'd rather have a D70 but
    you'll take the D100 if it's a big enough bargain.

    I think your best answer is 3, which means the amount you should be
    willing to pay is less than less than a D100-seeker should pay.

    Cutting to the chase, I think a fair price for a used D100 is in the
    $700-800 range, but YOU should not be willing to pay more than $500 or
    so, because from how you've described your desires, you're better off
    with a D70. The fairest deal between you and your friend is for him
    to sell his D100 to someone else who'll pay more for it than you
    should, and for you to buy a D70 or a Rebel XT. The D100's
    specific advantages (vertical grip etc.) over the D70 outweigh its
    disadvantages for some specific users which is why there are still
    people looking for them, but I think not for you.

    You might look at the D100 and D70 articles at www.bythom.com for a
    more detailed comparison.
    Paul Rubin, May 20, 2005

  3. "Bryan O. Fenstermacher"
    <bryan<~removethisstuff~>@fenstermacher.net> wrote in

    > All,
    >
    > Just curious, what is an good / fair price for a used Nikon D100?
    > I have a friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for
    > three new Nikon D2X bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).
    >
    > He's offering me one of his D100's for $700, and around $780 with
    > the veritical grip.

    It isn't worth it. Don't waste your money. The D100 is a noise machine
    with terrible focus and exposure issues. You can get a used Sigma SD10
    for the same price or less, and then you will have a professional DSLR
    with a Foveon sensor.
    George Preddy, May 21, 2005
  4. Bryan O. Fenstermacher

    Basic Wedge Guest

    "Bryan wrote ...

    > I have a friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for three new
    > Nikon D2X bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).

    Three Nikon D2Xs? That is an impressive investment! I wish I were in his
    position.

    Rob
    Basic Wedge, May 21, 2005
  5. Bryan O. Fenstermacher

    george Guest

    "Bryan O. Fenstermacher @fenstermacher.net>" <bryan<~removethisstuff~> wrote
    in message news:...
    > All,
    >
    > Just curious, what is an good / fair price for a used Nikon D100? I have
    > a friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for three new Nikon
    > D2X bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).
    >
    > He's offering me one of his D100's for $700, and around $780 with the
    > veritical grip... I posted earlier today about this, but now I'm asking
    > specificly about price for a used D100.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bryan

    Recently Overstock.com had D100's (refurbished)...I THINK they were about
    $900.
    You could always go to eBay and see what FINISHED auctions sold them at.

    George

    PS-Personally, I'd rather have a new D70 or D70S than a D100 whether it was
    new or
    used.

    george, May 21, 2005
  6. Bryan O. Fenstermacher

    george Guest

    "Basic Wedge" <> wrote in message
    > "Bryan wrote ...
    >
    >> I have a friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for three new
    >> Nikon D2X bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).

    > Three Nikon D2Xs? That is an impressive investment! I wish I were in his
    > position.
    >
    > Rob

    Imagine the memory card investment...I'd want about 3 8GB CF cards per body!
    It all
    adds up too fast!
    george, May 21, 2005
  7. Bryan O. Fenstermacher

    Tom Scales Guest

    "George Preddy" <> wrote in message
    > "Bryan O. Fenstermacher"
    > <bryan<~removethisstuff~>@fenstermacher.net> wrote in
    >
    >> All,
    >>
    >> Just curious, what is an good / fair price for a used Nikon D100?
    >> I have a friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for
    >> three new Nikon D2X bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).
    >>
    >> He's offering me one of his D100's for $700, and around $780 with
    >> the veritical grip.

    > It isn't worth it. Don't waste your money. The D100 is a noise machine
    > with terrible focus and exposure issues. You can get a used Sigma SD10
    > for the same price or less, and then you will have a professional DSLR
    > with a Foveon sensor.

    Bryan,
    Please ignore Preddy. He's a shill/troll and supports the joke called
    Sigma.
    Tom Scales, May 21, 2005
  8. Bryan O. Fenstermacher

    Tom Scales Guest

    "george" <> wrote in message

    > "Basic Wedge" <> wrote in message
    >> "Bryan wrote ...
    >>
    >>> I have a friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for three
    >>> new Nikon D2X bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).

    >> Three Nikon D2Xs? That is an impressive investment! I wish I were in his
    >> position.
    >>
    >> Rob
    >>

    > Imagine the memory card investment...I'd want about 3 8GB CF cards per
    > body! It all
    > adds up too fast!

    The 4GB cards are a nice size. 150 or so shots in NEF+JPEG Fine
    Tom Scales, May 21, 2005
  9. Bryan O. Fenstermacher

    Unspam Guest

    > "Basic Wedge" <> wrote in message
    >> "Bryan wrote ...
    >>
    >>> I have a friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for three new
    >>> Nikon D2X bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).

    >> Three Nikon D2Xs? That is an impressive investment! I wish I were in his
    >> position.
    >>
    >> Rob
    >>

    > Imagine the memory card investment...I'd want about 3 8GB CF cards per body!
    > It all
    > adds up too fast!

    For professional us I would advise against large CF cards, much better to
    have a lot a smaller cards, if one goes tits up you won't have lost a lot of
    work.
    Unspam, May 21, 2005
  10. Bryan O. Fenstermacher

    > All,
    >
    > Just curious, what is an good / fair price for a used Nikon D100? I have a
    > friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for three new Nikon D2X
    > bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).
    >
    > He's offering me one of his D100's for $700, and around $780 with the
    > veritical grip... I posted earlier today about this, but now I'm asking
    > specificly about price for a used D100.

    $700 is a fair price, but you may want to get a new D70s for around $900
    when they come out, instead.
    Steven M. Scharf, May 21, 2005
  11. "Steven M. Scharf" <> wrote in

    > Bryan O. Fenstermacher
    >
    >> All,
    >>
    >> Just curious, what is an good / fair price for a used Nikon D100?
    >> I have a friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for
    >> three new Nikon D2X bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).
    >>
    >> He's offering me one of his D100's for $700, and around $780 with
    >> the veritical grip... I posted earlier today about this, but now
    >> I'm asking specificly about price for a used D100.

    > $700 is a fair price, but you may want to get a new D70s for
    > around $900 when they come out, instead.

    That would be a very bad move. The D70s is essentially the same camera
    as the D70, which is known to be a notoriously poor performer among
    DSLRs.
    George Preddy, May 21, 2005
  12. Bryan O. Fenstermacher

    ian Guest

    Bryan O. Fenstermacher <bryan wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > Just curious, what is an good / fair price for a used Nikon D100? I have a
    > friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for three new Nikon D2X
    > bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).
    >
    > He's offering me one of his D100's for $700, and around $780 with the
    > veritical grip... I posted earlier today about this, but now I'm asking
    > specificly about price for a used D100.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bryan

    For pricing this, and just about anything else, you can't beat ebay.
    That gives
    the clearest indicator of what the market thinks is the right price that
    you
    will find. The full address is http://www.ebay.com

    Ian
    ian, May 21, 2005
  13. Bryan O. Fenstermacher

    Cynicor Guest

    George Preddy wrote:
    > "Steven M. Scharf" <> wrote:
    >>$700 is a fair price, but you may want to get a new D70s for
    >>around $900 when they come out, instead.

    > That would be a very bad move. The D70s is essentially the same camera
    > as the D70, which is known to be a notoriously poor performer among
    > DSLRs.

    The D70 is absolutely a breakthrough in performance and features for
    price. It also happens to take gorgeous photos, to the point where it
    almost makes ME look good.

    My dad used to have a Sigma camera. They all share this weird common
    characteristic: when you hold them up to your eye, they apply this white
    grease paint to you, marking you as a CLOWN for purchasing one.
    Cynicor, May 21, 2005
  14. In alt.photography George Preddy <> wrote:

    > That would be a very bad move. The D70s is essentially the same camera
    > as the D70, which is known to be a notoriously poor performer among
    > DSLRs.

    Oh shut up you lying troll.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Spammers please contact me at .
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, May 21, 2005
  15. Yeah, he has a lot of Nikon glass, so the bodies while a major investment
    were cheaper than all new glass.

    He and his wife have been doing wedding photography for about 5 years full
    time. They are talented and are smart business people.

    They just rolled out a new web site... http://www.davisphotographer.com/
    Some of the shots in the gallery are really impressive.

    -Bryan

    Bryan O. Fenstermacher, May 21, 2005
  16. Bryan O. Fenstermacher

    Unspam Guest

    > Yeah, he has a lot of Nikon glass, so the bodies while a major investment
    > were cheaper than all new glass.
    >
    > He and his wife have been doing wedding photography for about 5 years full
    > time. They are talented and are smart business people.
    >
    > They just rolled out a new web site... http://www.davisphotographer.com/
    > Some of the shots in the gallery are really impressive.
    >
    > -Bryan

    I have just calibrated my monitor and these look over saturated and
    overexposed.
    Unspam, May 21, 2005
  17. Bryan O. Fenstermacher

    Bigguy Guest

    Unspam wrote:

    > I have just calibrated my monitor and these look over saturated and
    > overexposed.

    They are... ;-) It's a deliberate 'look'

    IMHO they are meant to look like glossy magazine pics...

    Some nice stuff - sure beats the usual "technically perfect exposure but
    static + boring" look... :)

    Guy
    Bigguy, May 21, 2005
  18. Bryan O. Fenstermacher

    Crownfield Guest

    Unspam wrote:

    > > "Basic Wedge" <> wrote in message
    > >> "Bryan wrote ...

    > >> Three Nikon D2Xs? That is an impressive investment! I wish I were in his
    > >> position.
    > >>
    > >> Rob
    > >>

    > > Imagine the memory card investment...I'd want about 3 8GB CF cards per body!
    > > It all
    > > adds up too fast!
    > >

    > For professional us I would advise against large CF cards, much better to
    > have a lot a smaller cards, if one goes tits up you won't have lost a lot of
    > work.

    so you would advise against 36 exposure film?
    or bulk film?
    something might go wrong, and you would lose all the roll?

    zero card failures to date, out of 7 cards.
    Crownfield, May 21, 2005
  19. Bryan O. Fenstermacher

    Alan Browne Guest

    Unspam wrote:

    > For professional us I would advise against large CF cards, much better to
    > have a lot a smaller cards, if one goes tits up you won't have lost a lot of
    > work.

    not "a lot" but 2 or maybe 3 per body. The chances of one card going
    Tango Uniform are pretty slim. The chances of two going indicate otehr
    neglect.

    Other factors, mainly logistical, are more important. Solid state cards
    are very reliable.

    National Geographic photographers hedge their bets by FedExing their
    undeveloped film back to headquarters in two lots, every other film in
    one lot and vice versa.

    -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
    Alan Browne, May 21, 2005
  20. Bryan O. Fenstermacher

    Crownfield Guest

    Bryan O. Fenstermacher

    > Yeah, he has a lot of Nikon glass, so the bodies while a major investment
    > were cheaper than all new glass.
    >
    > He and his wife have been doing wedding photography for about 5 years full
    > time. They are talented and are smart business people.
    >
    > They just rolled out a new web site... http://www.davisphotographer.com/
    > Some of the shots in the gallery are really impressive.

    the problem is that the content is lost in the slow AV effects.
    good shots, poor presentation to me.

    Crownfield, May 21, 2005