    I need an explanation: What is a distribution list and how does it work?

    Thank you
    Reinhard

    Reinhard, May 21, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    (Reinhard) wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I need an explanation: What is a distribution list and how does it work?

    There's no such thing on a Cisco, do you mean distribute-list? This is
    used in routing protocols to filter out routes from advertisements or
    from redistribution into other protocols. E.g.

    router rip
    distribute-list 1 out

    access-list 1 deny 10.0.0.0
    access-list 1 permit any

    will prevent the router from advertising the 10.0.0.0 route in RIP.
    Change "out" to "in", and it will ignore the 10.0.0.0 route in any RIP
    advertisements that it receives.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA

    Barry Margolin, May 21, 2004

  3. Reinhard

    Reinhard Guest

    Barry Margolin <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <>,
    > (Reinhard) wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I need an explanation: What is a distribution list and how does it work?

    > There's no such thing on a Cisco, do you mean distribute-list? This is
    > used in routing protocols to filter out routes from advertisements or
    > from redistribution into other protocols. E.g.
    >
    > router rip
    > distribute-list 1 out
    >
    > access-list 1 deny 10.0.0.0
    > access-list 1 permit any
    >
    > will prevent the router from advertising the 10.0.0.0 route in RIP.
    > Change "out" to "in", and it will ignore the 10.0.0.0 route in any RIP
    > advertisements that it receives.

    Hello Barry,

    thank you for your answer.
    I guess you're right - it sould be distribute-list.
    Do I understand you right if I say that a distribute-list has always a
    relationship with an access-list?

    Reinhard

    Reinhard, May 22, 2004
  4. In article <>,
    (Reinhard) wrote:

    > I guess you're right - it sould be distribute-list.
    > Do I understand you right if I say that a distribute-list has always a
    > relationship with an access-list?

    Yes. Distribute-list says to perform route filtering using an
    access-list.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA

    Barry Margolin, May 22, 2004
  5. Reinhard

    Reinhard Guest

    Barry Margolin <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <>,
    > (Reinhard) wrote:
    >
    > > I guess you're right - it sould be distribute-list.
    > > Do I understand you right if I say that a distribute-list has always a
    > > relationship with an access-list?

    > Yes. Distribute-list says to perform route filtering using an
    > access-list.

    Thanky you
    Reinhard

    Reinhard, May 24, 2004