    dandelion Guest

    What IRQ does a PCI SCSI adaptor with SCSI hard drives
    attached use? Is an IRQ required for SCSI devices?
    dandelion, Mar 27, 2006

  2. dandelion

    Nil Guest

    On 26 Mar 2006, dandelion <> wrote in
    news::

    > What IRQ does a PCI SCSI adaptor with SCSI hard drives
    > attached use?

    Any free one will do. If PnP is turned on in the BIOS, that will take
    care of it for you. I see that mine is assigned IRQ 12.

    > Is an IRQ required for SCSI devices?

    No, only the adapter needs one.
    Nil, Mar 27, 2006

  3. dandelion

    J. Clarke Guest

    dandelion wrote:

    > What IRQ does a PCI SCSI adaptor with SCSI hard drives
    > attached use?

    There is no default. IBM originally reserved IRQ 14 for the disk
    controller, but most machines have an IDE or SATA host adapter on that one.
    If the SCSI host adapter is the only disk interface in the system then 14
    would be a reasonable place to put it if you have that kind of control,
    which you usually don't.

    > Is an IRQ required for SCSI devices?

    No, but performance will suffer.

    --