    Chris
    cjtwantstoknow

    , Aug 30, 2005

  2. Chris:

    If you want to know that kind of information, you have signed with the
    wrong provider and have the wrong box. Vonage has an advertising
    campaign in which they stress "No Nerds Needed", in which they also
    should say: "If you are a nerd, go get your SIP service elsewhere".
    Vonage was designed for the general, more ignorant (and abundant)
    public.

    Having said that, you may use any network sniffer, such as Ethereal to
    capture the packets that come from or go to the IP address of you box.

    -Ramon

    Ramon F Herrera, Aug 30, 2005

  3. Guest

    Thanks Ramon.

    The reason I need to know is that I need to determine the cause of me
    dropping phone calls. Sometimes, the downstream is ok but the upstream
    cuts out completely - the person on the other side hears a click.

    I am running a ping monitor to see if there's any correlation but my
    sense is that there will not be any correlation. Other things that I
    will check is that the cables are well seated.

    The Vonage router has been rebooted .

    I need to find the cause for the interruptions between Vonage,
    Internet, and Comcast.

    Chris

    cjtwantstoknow

    , Aug 30, 2005
  4. Chris -the one who wants to know- wrote:

    > I need to find the cause for the interruptions between Vonage,
    > Internet, and Comcast.

    For what is worth, I have a Sipura box and my ISP is Comcast, too.
    I am paying a few extra bucks a month to Comcast in order to get a
    dedicated IP for the SIP phone. That way I don't have to deal with
    NAT hell. My setting works perfectly.

    Are your problem mostly with outbound calls, inbound or both?

    Since Vonage forces their customers to purchase a castrated box, upon
    which you have no control, they should be the ones to diagnose and fix
    your problem.

    In order to isolate the problem, you could run some tests with a free
    SIP provider:

    http://www.freeworlddialup.com

    but to do that you need a SIP box that can be configured.

    In short, Vonage "doesn't want you to know".

    -Ramon

    Ramon F Herrera, Aug 30, 2005
  5. If your using the Linksys RT31P2-VD the ip address of the router is
    192.168.15.1.

    Robert C. Martin, Sep 18, 2005
  6. Let's see, Chris, you're talkin about to what IP adress your gateway
    sends signalling messages and RTP data when you're making a call thru
    Vonage?

    I'm not a Vonage user though I know they use SIP, so all you have to do
    is to sniff the packets that go out from your gateway through the port
    5060 each time you place a call.

    They may use another port though its not likely, if you dont see
    anything, simply sniff all the UDP traffic coming and going through your
    gateway.

    One last thing, the gateway will probably not send nor receive anything
    unless you place a call (well it may send REGISTER messages but those
    are every several mins) so while running the sniffer, place a call to
    make it send something.

    I hope this is useful!

    Regards
    Martin

    Martin E. Zulliger, Sep 19, 2005
  7. Guest

    Thanks! That's exactly what I did with Ethereal. Then I ran
    pingplotter to determine where packets were being dropped. It turned
    out that there were (and still are) problems at Vonage itself, along
    with a network hop hosted by Global Crossing in NY.

    It seems that Vonage needs more points-of-presence for proxy servers on
    the Internet. VOIP is great, as long as there's enough capacity -
    apparently not the case with Vonage.

    Chris

    Martin E. Zulliger wrote:
    > Let's see, Chris, you're talkin about to what IP adress your gateway
    > sends signalling messages and RTP data when you're making a call thru
    > Vonage?
    >
    > I'm not a Vonage user though I know they use SIP, so all you have to do
    > is to sniff the packets that go out from your gateway through the port
    > 5060 each time you place a call.
    >
    > They may use another port though its not likely, if you dont see
    > anything, simply sniff all the UDP traffic coming and going through your
    > gateway.
    >
    > One last thing, the gateway will probably not send nor receive anything
    > unless you place a call (well it may send REGISTER messages but those
    > are every several mins) so while running the sniffer, place a call to
    > make it send something.
    >
    > I hope this is useful!
    >
    > Regards
    > Martin
    >

    > Robert C. Martin wrote:
    > > If your using the Linksys RT31P2-VD the ip address of the router is
    > > 192.168.15.1.
    > >
    > > <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I'd like to monitor Internet traffic to and from the address that
    > >>Vonage uses to communicate with my Vonage device.
    > >>What address do they talk to? Can I look into my RT31p2 and figure
    > >>this out?
    > >>
    > >>Chris
    > >>cjtwantstoknow

    , Sep 20, 2005
  8. Yeah, that is sadly something that happens with VoIP. Sometimes someone
    is playing with the routing tables and all your net goes down.

    At my co we're looking for ways to make VoIP service as redundant as
    possible, playing with several proxies and DNSs, but the nature of VoIP
    make it difficult to achive real redundancy. For example if your net
    goes down, your clients may be able to place new calls using a secondary
    proxy but many of the calls which were in progress on the first proxy
    will be interrupted. An alternative is IPV6 but we're still testing that
    one.

    Capacity in VoIP is kinda a synomym of bandwidth, if you have bandwidth,
    you have (almost) all you need, since the hardware requeriments are
    usually minimum (well unless you're doing DSP for audio compressing or
    something like that).

    Anyway to work in VoIP is really fun, and it is obviously the future of
    the voice communications over the world.

    We're going to release to the OSS community something we think will be
    useful to a lot of VoIP enthusiasts (like us); a way to bring VoIP to
    high level programming languages like Java and Python using XML (we're
    already using it for routing our traffic).

    Well its enough of my philosophy, Im sure Im becoming boring :)

    Martin

    Martin E. Zulliger, Sep 20, 2005
  9. Guest

    pls see my question below

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:30:54 GMT, "Martin E. Zulliger"
    <> wrote:

    >Yeah, that is sadly something that happens with VoIP. Sometimes someone
    >is playing with the routing tables and all your net goes down.
    >
    >At my co we're looking for ways to make VoIP service as redundant as
    >possible, playing with several proxies and DNSs, but the nature of VoIP
    >make it difficult to achive real redundancy. For example if your net
    >goes down, your clients may be able to place new calls using a secondary
    >proxy but many of the calls which were in progress on the first proxy
    >will be interrupted. An alternative is IPV6 but we're still testing that
    >one.
    >
    >Capacity in VoIP is kinda a synomym of bandwidth, if you have bandwidth,
    >you have (almost) all you need, since the hardware requeriments are
    >usually minimum (well unless you're doing DSP for audio compressing or
    >something like that).
    >
    >Anyway to work in VoIP is really fun, and it is obviously the future of
    >the voice communications over the world.
    >
    >We're going to release to the OSS community something we think will be
    >useful to a lot of VoIP enthusiasts (like us); a way to bring VoIP to
    >high level programming languages like Java and Python using XML (we're
    >already using it for routing our traffic).
    >
    >Well its enough of my philosophy, Im sure Im becoming boring :)
    >
    >Martin
    >
    > wrote:
    >> Thanks! That's exactly what I did with Ethereal. Then I ran
    >> pingplotter to determine where packets were being dropped. It turned
    >> out that there were (and still are) problems at Vonage itself, along
    >> with a network hop hosted by Global Crossing in NY.

    Hey Chris, or anyone else who wants to answer...Does the Linksys 4
    port router (I use one) permit some kind of port-monitor? Some
    router/ switch manufacturers might use a different name for it...but,
    what I'm asking is: how do u setup Etherreal to "bridge" the port you
    want to monitor? I remember one of the Nortel switches allowed you to
    specify what port you want to monitor, and all traffic on that port in
    both directions [I think] got fwd'd to your port (that PC is connected
    to).

    Zeng

    >> It seems that Vonage needs more points-of-presence for proxy servers on
    >> the Internet. VOIP is great, as long as there's enough capacity -
    >> apparently not the case with Vonage.
    >>
    >> Chris
    >>
    >> Martin E. Zulliger wrote:
    >>
    >>>Let's see, Chris, you're talkin about to what IP adress your gateway
    >>>sends signalling messages and RTP data when you're making a call thru
    >>>Vonage?
    >>>
    >>>I'm not a Vonage user though I know they use SIP, so all you have to do
    >>>is to sniff the packets that go out from your gateway through the port
    >>>5060 each time you place a call.
    >>>
    >>>They may use another port though its not likely, if you dont see
    >>>anything, simply sniff all the UDP traffic coming and going through your
    >>>gateway.
    >>>
    >>>One last thing, the gateway will probably not send nor receive anything
    >>>unless you place a call (well it may send REGISTER messages but those
    >>>are every several mins) so while running the sniffer, place a call to
    >>>make it send something.
    >>>
    >>>I hope this is useful!
    >>>
    >>>Regards
    >>>Martin

    , Sep 21, 2005
  10. Guest

    Zeng,

    I simply connected a hub between the router and the modem. This
    configuration showed all the traffic - I don't believe that there's a
    way to monitor a specific port. Within Ethereal, you can figure out
    which packets belong to VOIP and then define a filter designed to keep
    only those packets that are of interest to you.

    Chris

    , Sep 23, 2005