    Interesting eye shape...

    Anyone?

    -Mark
    Mark², Aug 16, 2005

  2. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    news:j9aMe.1306$ct5.511@fed1read04...
    > Does anyone know?
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/47753652
    > (The splotches on the right are spots on the window of my vehicle--where I
    > found this guy...in Northern California).
    >
    > I think he looks like a Japanese Monster Movie character.
    > Interesting eye shape...
    >
    > Anyone?

    PS--
    The body is about 1.5 inches long, or about 3 inches (about 7cm) over-all.
    Mark², Aug 16, 2005

  3. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote in message
    > Per "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net>:
    >>Interesting eye shape...

    > Is that "100mm" a regular lens or a macro lens?
    >
    > i.e. Should I aspire to such detail using my D70s and it's 18-70mm zoom
    > lens?

    This was a 100mm Canon Macro.
    It suddenly appeared on my driver's side window at a gas station on my way
    up North.
    My engine was running (likely vibrating the window somewhat) and it was
    getting dark.
    This was flash, without any support...so I thought it was pretty decent,
    considering...

    Stick a couple spacers between your lens and body, and you'll be able to get
    pretty close to this.
    Mark², Aug 16, 2005
  4. Mark²

    Charles Guest

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 17:09:53 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    >Does anyone know?
    >http://www.pbase.com/image/47753652
    >(The splotches on the right are spots on the window of my vehicle--where I
    >found this guy...in Northern California).
    >
    >I think he looks like a Japanese Monster Movie character.
    >Interesting eye shape...
    >
    >Anyone?
    >
    >-Mark

    don't know what it is, my guess would be an immature cricket.

    These folks might be able to tell you:

    http://www.whatsthatbug.com/index.html
    Charles, Aug 16, 2005
  5. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    > Does anyone know?
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/47753652
    > (The splotches on the right are spots on the window of my vehicle--where I
    > found this guy...in Northern California).
    >
    > I think he looks like a Japanese Monster Movie character.
    > Interesting eye shape...
    >
    > Anyone?
    >
    > -Mark

    Here's another view..
    This one was shot THROUGH the dirty window glass on my vehicle...so a little
    gunky--
    http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/47757530
    Mark², Aug 16, 2005
  6. Mark²

    Jer Guest

    Mark² wrote:

    >>Does anyone know?
    >>http://www.pbase.com/image/47753652
    >>(The splotches on the right are spots on the window of my vehicle--where I
    >>found this guy...in Northern California).
    >>
    >>I think he looks like a Japanese Monster Movie character.
    >>Interesting eye shape...
    >>
    >>Anyone?
    >>
    >>-Mark

    > Here's another view..
    > This one was shot THROUGH the dirty window glass on my vehicle...so a little
    > gunky--
    > http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/47757530

    Look like some flavor of a mature wood borer.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    Jer, Aug 16, 2005
  7. Mark²

    Don Wiss Guest

    "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> asked:

    >Does anyone know?
    >http://www.pbase.com/image/47753652
    >(The splotches on the right are spots on the window of my vehicle--where I
    >found this guy...in Northern California).

    Looks like a female white-spotted sawyer.

    Don Wiss, Aug 16, 2005
  8. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    "Jer" <> wrote in message
    Mark² wrote:

    >>Does anyone know?
    >>http://www.pbase.com/image/47753652
    >>(The splotches on the right are spots on the window of my vehicle--where I
    >>found this guy...in Northern California).
    >>
    >>I think he looks like a Japanese Monster Movie character.
    >>Interesting eye shape...
    >>
    >>Anyone?
    >>
    >>-Mark

    > Here's another view..
    > This one was shot THROUGH the dirty window glass on my vehicle...so a
    > little gunky--
    > http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/47757530

    Look like some flavor of a mature wood borer.

    By Jove, I think you've got it!
    :)
    Have a look at the first picture on this page (scroll down a bit).
    -Looks very similar, though different, less interesting color.

    Mark
    Mark², Aug 16, 2005
  9. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    > "Jer" <> wrote in message
    > Mark² wrote:
    >> "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Does anyone know?
    >>>http://www.pbase.com/image/47753652
    >>>(The splotches on the right are spots on the window of my vehicle--where
    >>>I found this guy...in Northern California).
    >>>
    >>>I think he looks like a Japanese Monster Movie character.
    >>>Interesting eye shape...
    >>>
    >>>Anyone?
    >>>
    >>>-Mark

    >> Here's another view..
    >> This one was shot THROUGH the dirty window glass on my vehicle...so a
    >> little gunky--
    >> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/47757530
    >>

    > Look like some flavor of a mature wood borer.
    >
    > By Jove, I think you've got it!
    > :)
    > Have a look at the first picture on this page (scroll down a bit).
    > -Looks very similar, though different, less interesting color.
    >
    > Mark

    Oops!
    Here's the link:
    http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05530.html
    Mark², Aug 16, 2005
  10. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    "Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message
    > "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> asked:
    >
    >>Does anyone know?
    >>http://www.pbase.com/image/47753652
    >>(The splotches on the right are spots on the window of my vehicle--where I
    >>found this guy...in Northern California).

    > Looks like a female white-spotted sawyer.

    I think that just about it, though none of the images I've found on the web
    show such bright colors as the one I found. Perhaps there's another related
    group... Interesting insect.
    Thank you.
    Mark², Aug 16, 2005
  11. Mark²

    Jer Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > "Jer" <> wrote in message
    > Mark² wrote:
    >
    >>"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>Does anyone know?
    >>>http://www.pbase.com/image/47753652
    >>>(The splotches on the right are spots on the window of my vehicle--where I
    >>>found this guy...in Northern California).
    >>>
    >>>I think he looks like a Japanese Monster Movie character.
    >>>Interesting eye shape...
    >>>
    >>>Anyone?
    >>>
    >>>-Mark

    >>Here's another view..
    >>This one was shot THROUGH the dirty window glass on my vehicle...so a
    >>little gunky--
    >>http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/47757530
    >>

    > Look like some flavor of a mature wood borer.
    >
    > By Jove, I think you've got it!
    > :)
    > Have a look at the first picture on this page (scroll down a bit).
    > -Looks very similar, though different, less interesting color.
    >
    > Mark

    The yellow & black model I've seen around here is otherwise real similar
    in other respects. And often spell doom for the tree they hatched from.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    Jer, Aug 16, 2005
  12. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    "Jer" <> wrote in message
    Mark² wrote:
    > "Jer" <> wrote in message
    > Mark² wrote:
    >
    >>"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>Does anyone know?
    >>>http://www.pbase.com/image/47753652
    >>>(The splotches on the right are spots on the window of my vehicle--where
    >>>I found this guy...in Northern California).
    >>>
    >>>I think he looks like a Japanese Monster Movie character.
    >>>Interesting eye shape...
    >>>
    >>>Anyone?
    >>>
    >>>-Mark

    >>Here's another view..
    >>This one was shot THROUGH the dirty window glass on my vehicle...so a
    >>little gunky--
    >>http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/47757530
    >>

    > Look like some flavor of a mature wood borer.
    >
    > By Jove, I think you've got it!
    > :)
    > Have a look at the first picture on this page (scroll down a bit).
    > -Looks very similar, though different, less interesting color.
    >
    > Mark

    The yellow & black model I've seen around here is otherwise real similar
    in other respects. And often spell doom for the tree they hatched from.
    ----------------------

    -Guess I should have squished him.
    Actually, I went to get a container to capture him, but he flew right into
    my face...and boy did I jump!
    :)

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    Mark², Aug 16, 2005

    (PeteCresswell), Aug 16, 2005
  14. Mark²

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:05:41 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    > The yellow & black model I've seen around here is otherwise real similar
    > in other respects. And often spell doom for the tree they hatched from.
    > ----------------------
    >
    > -Guess I should have squished him.
    > Actually, I went to get a container to capture him, but he flew right into
    > my face...and boy did I jump!
    > :)
    >
    > --
    > jer
    > email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Your past messages quoted properly and also recognized signature
    delimiters. Did OE break or have you modified its operation, or are
    you now manually copying and pasting followup text?
    ASAAR, Aug 16, 2005
  15. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:05:41 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    > number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >
    >> The yellow & black model I've seen around here is otherwise real similar
    >> in other respects. And often spell doom for the tree they hatched from.
    >> ----------------------
    >>
    >> -Guess I should have squished him.
    >> Actually, I went to get a container to capture him, but he flew right
    >> into
    >> my face...and boy did I jump!
    >> :)
    >>
    >> --
    >> jer
    >> email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    > Your past messages quoted properly and also recognized signature
    > delimiters. Did OE break or have you modified its operation, or are
    > you now manually copying and pasting followup text?

    OE quotes properly (with the ">") 99.9% of the time.
    Every once in a while, I run into a post from someone where responding to
    them doesn't generate the ">". -Hate when that happens, but don't know what
    the trigger is that causes it.

    I may have stuck them in on that one to avoid confusion.
    Mark², Aug 16, 2005
  16. Mark²

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:53:32 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    >>> --
    >>> jer
    >>> email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    >> Your past messages quoted properly and also recognized signature
    >> delimiters. Did OE break or have you modified its operation, or are
    >> you now manually copying and pasting followup text?

    > OE quotes properly (with the ">") 99.9% of the time.
    > Every once in a while, I run into a post from someone where responding to
    > them doesn't generate the ">". -Hate when that happens, but don't know what
    > the trigger is that causes it.

    I never would have mentioned munged quotes since they're so
    common. It was jer's signature at the bottom of your post that
    caught my eye. The only way my newsreader could do that is if I
    accidentally selected all of the text before instructing it to
    reply. When nothing is selected, all text other than headers and
    signatures are quoted. 99.9% of the time I manually highlight the
    appropriate text, and then only that part is quoted. But I assume
    this has nothing to do with what happened in your case since proper
    quoting didn't occur. I've never used OE, but wonder if it has
    options similar to what I've seen in Eudora, which has text editing
    commands to "paste" as well as "paste quoted".
    ASAAR, Aug 16, 2005
  17. Mark²

    Bubbabob Guest

    Jer <> wrote:

    > Look like some flavor of a mature wood borer.

    My thoughts, too.
    Bubbabob, Aug 17, 2005