    If there is a scanner or a digital camera that has software included
    that reassembles documents and photos, I'd be interested in hearing
    about the cameras or scanners as well.
    Ebike Charlie, Dec 18, 2006

  2. Ebike Charlie

    Aaron Guest

    And lo, Ebike Charlie <> emerged from the ether
    and spake thus:
    > What PC software to stitch back torn [scanned] photo images
    > automatically?
    >
    > Hi, is there any really good software that will assemble a jig saw
    > puzzle of torn photographs into a whole image? And, do the torn pieces
    > have to be scanned or photographed one at a time, or not? Thanks for
    > all suggestions. Some of the photographs' pieces may be small, like
    > ones that have gone through a document shredder, but other pieces are
    > large and somewhat regular shaped, like a square.
    >
    > If there is a scanner or a digital camera that has software included
    > that reassembles documents and photos, I'd be interested in hearing
    > about the cameras or scanners as well.

    I don't think there's such a thing as a program that does this
    *automatically*. If there were, I'd be out of business!

    But hey, for $60/hour I'd be happy to help you out with that problem.
    http://www.fisheyemultimedia.com/

    By the way, what you describe is tedious and difficult work in many
    cases, it requires not only fitting the pieces back together, but
    restoring the bits within the cracks that were lost in order to
    produce a smooth image. I do use Photoshop for this.

    --
    Aaron
    http://www.fisheyegallery.com
    Aaron, Dec 18, 2006

  3. Ebike Charlie

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "Ebike Charlie" <> wrote in message
    > What PC software to stitch back torn [scanned] photo images
    > automatically?
    >
    > Hi, is there any really good software that will assemble a jig saw
    > puzzle of torn photographs into a whole image? And, do the torn pieces
    > have to be scanned or photographed one at a time, or not? Thanks for
    > all suggestions. Some of the photographs' pieces may be small, like
    > ones that have gone through a document shredder, but other pieces are
    > large and somewhat regular shaped, like a square.
    >
    > If there is a scanner or a digital camera that has software included
    > that reassembles documents and photos, I'd be interested in hearing
    > about the cameras or scanners as well.

    Automagically? I doubt it.

    If you use a scanner and then stitch it back using a panorama program like
    PTGui, use a lens focal length of some ridiculously high figure, like 1000mm
    or higher if the program will accept it. Use rectilinear projection. Use
    something like 1200 dpi or even higher for the scan setting.

    Autopano does nicely too.

    I am sure others will offer other advice.
    Rudy Benner, Dec 18, 2006
  4. Ebike Charlie

    Rudy Benner Guest

    OOPS - apology - Re: What imaging software to stitch back torn [scanned] photo images automatically?

    "Rudy Benner" <> wrote in message

    > "Ebike Charlie" <> wrote in message
    >> What PC software to stitch back torn [scanned] photo images
    >> automatically?
    >>
    >> Hi, is there any really good software that will assemble a jig saw
    >> puzzle of torn photographs into a whole image? And, do the torn pieces
    >> have to be scanned or photographed one at a time, or not? Thanks for
    >> all suggestions. Some of the photographs' pieces may be small, like
    >> ones that have gone through a document shredder, but other pieces are
    >> large and somewhat regular shaped, like a square.
    >>
    >> If there is a scanner or a digital camera that has software included
    >> that reassembles documents and photos, I'd be interested in hearing
    >> about the cameras or scanners as well.
    >>

    > Automagically? I doubt it.
    >
    > If you use a scanner and then stitch it back using a panorama program like
    > PTGui, use a lens focal length of some ridiculously high figure, like
    > 1000mm or higher if the program will accept it. Use rectilinear
    > projection. Use something like 1200 dpi or even higher for the scan
    > setting.
    >
    > Autopano does nicely too.
    >
    > I am sure others will offer other advice.

    OOPS

    Cancel everything I said, it will not work on torn fragments, no overlap.
    Rudy Benner, Dec 18, 2006
  5. In article <>,
    "Ebike Charlie" <> wrote:

    > What PC software to stitch back torn [scanned] photo images
    > automatically?
    >
    > Hi, is there any really good software that will assemble a jig saw
    > puzzle of torn photographs into a whole image? And, do the torn pieces
    > have to be scanned or photographed one at a time, or not? Thanks for
    > all suggestions. Some of the photographs' pieces may be small, like
    > ones that have gone through a document shredder, but other pieces are
    > large and somewhat regular shaped, like a square.
    >
    > If there is a scanner or a digital camera that has software included
    > that reassembles documents and photos, I'd be interested in hearing
    > about the cameras or scanners as well.

    You cannot do this with software.

    put the photo back together as closely as possible and secure with tape
    on the back, scan the result at the highest resolution possible and
    re-touch the joints between the pieces with PhotoShop.

    I am sure there are people who will do this for you, but it will be a
    long process and might cost well over a hundred dollars.

    --
    There are two ways to spell Ockham/Occam. Britannica prefers the former.
    Ockham's Razor, Dec 18, 2006
  6. Ebike Charlie

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Re: OOPS - apology - Re: What imaging software to stitch back torn[scanned] photo images automatically?

    Rudy Benner wrote:
    > "Rudy Benner" <> wrote in message
    >> "Ebike Charlie" <> wrote in message
    >>> What PC software to stitch back torn [scanned] photo images
    >>> automatically?
    >>>
    >>> Hi, is there any really good software that will assemble a jig saw
    >>> puzzle of torn photographs into a whole image? And, do the torn pieces
    >>> have to be scanned or photographed one at a time, or not? Thanks for
    >>> all suggestions. Some of the photographs' pieces may be small, like
    >>> ones that have gone through a document shredder, but other pieces are
    >>> large and somewhat regular shaped, like a square.
    >>>
    >>> If there is a scanner or a digital camera that has software included
    >>> that reassembles documents and photos, I'd be interested in hearing
    >>> about the cameras or scanners as well.
    >>>

    >> Automagically? I doubt it.
    >>
    >> If you use a scanner and then stitch it back using a panorama program like
    >> PTGui, use a lens focal length of some ridiculously high figure, like
    >> 1000mm or higher if the program will accept it. Use rectilinear
    >> projection. Use something like 1200 dpi or even higher for the scan
    >> setting.
    >>
    >> Autopano does nicely too.
    >>
    >> I am sure others will offer other advice.
    >>

    > OOPS
    >
    > Cancel everything I said, it will not work on torn fragments, no overlap.

    Some Pano software will let you align the segments manually, but
    automatic aligning requires overlap in every case I have seen. The
    moral of this story is 'don't destroy the photos in a fit of anger in
    the firs place'.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 19, 2006
  7. Ebike Charlie

    timeOday Guest

    Ockham's Razor wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "Ebike Charlie" <> wrote:
    >

    >>What PC software to stitch back torn [scanned] photo images
    >>automatically?
    >>
    >>Hi, is there any really good software that will assemble a jig saw
    >>puzzle of torn photographs into a whole image? And, do the torn pieces
    >>have to be scanned or photographed one at a time, or not? Thanks for
    >>all suggestions. Some of the photographs' pieces may be small, like
    >>ones that have gone through a document shredder, but other pieces are
    >>large and somewhat regular shaped, like a square.
    >>
    >>If there is a scanner or a digital camera that has software included
    >>that reassembles documents and photos, I'd be interested in hearing
    >>about the cameras or scanners as well.

    > You cannot do this with software.

    It's impossible for me to imagine that intelligence services have not
    developed software to reconstruct shredded documents.

    In fact:
    <http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3937/is_200309/ai_n9291123>

    Here is some literature on related subjects:
    <http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V03-4F6CMR3-5&_coverDate=04%2F01%2F2005&_alid=511253380&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_qd=1&_cdi=5635&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=0a1cdf914b3dd99fd78a9621cc3d5cce>
    <http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=513400.513410>

    but as far as I know you are right, there is no consumer-friendly
    application that will do it.
    timeOday, Dec 19, 2006
  8. Ebike Charlie

    Dave Cohen Guest

    timeOday wrote:
    > Ockham's Razor wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> "Ebike Charlie" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> What PC software to stitch back torn [scanned] photo images
    >>> automatically?
    >>>
    >>> Hi, is there any really good software that will assemble a jig saw
    >>> puzzle of torn photographs into a whole image? And, do the torn pieces
    >>> have to be scanned or photographed one at a time, or not? Thanks for
    >>> all suggestions. Some of the photographs' pieces may be small, like
    >>> ones that have gone through a document shredder, but other pieces are
    >>> large and somewhat regular shaped, like a square.
    >>>
    >>> If there is a scanner or a digital camera that has software included
    >>> that reassembles documents and photos, I'd be interested in hearing
    >>> about the cameras or scanners as well.

    >> You cannot do this with software.

    > It's impossible for me to imagine that intelligence services have not
    > developed software to reconstruct shredded documents.
    >
    > In fact:
    > <http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3937/is_200309/ai_n9291123>
    >
    > Here is some literature on related subjects:
    > <http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V03-4F6CMR3-5&_coverDate=04%2F01%2F2005&_alid=511253380&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_qd=1&_cdi=5635&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=0a1cdf914b3dd99fd78a9621cc3d5cce>
    >
    > <http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=513400.513410>
    >
    > but as far as I know you are right, there is no consumer-friendly
    > application that will do it.

    Using PhotoPlus, I used it's extract function to isolate pieces of torn
    text sheet. You then paste as new layer as needed to make a composite
    image, moving/rotating individual layers as needed. I haven't tried a
    photo yet, but that should be similar since fragment would be clearly
    selectable from white background if using saved scanned image.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Dec 19, 2006
  9. Ebike Charlie

    Ron Hunter Guest

    timeOday wrote:
    > Ockham's Razor wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> "Ebike Charlie" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> What PC software to stitch back torn [scanned] photo images
    >>> automatically?
    >>>
    >>> Hi, is there any really good software that will assemble a jig saw
    >>> puzzle of torn photographs into a whole image? And, do the torn pieces
    >>> have to be scanned or photographed one at a time, or not? Thanks for
    >>> all suggestions. Some of the photographs' pieces may be small, like
    >>> ones that have gone through a document shredder, but other pieces are
    >>> large and somewhat regular shaped, like a square.
    >>>
    >>> If there is a scanner or a digital camera that has software included
    >>> that reassembles documents and photos, I'd be interested in hearing
    >>> about the cameras or scanners as well.

    >> You cannot do this with software.

    > It's impossible for me to imagine that intelligence services have not
    > developed software to reconstruct shredded documents.
    >
    > In fact:
    > <http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3937/is_200309/ai_n9291123>
    >
    > Here is some literature on related subjects:
    > <http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V03-4F6CMR3-5&_coverDate=04%2F01%2F2005&_alid=511253380&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_qd=1&_cdi=5635&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=0a1cdf914b3dd99fd78a9621cc3d5cce>
    >
    > <http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=513400.513410>
    >
    > but as far as I know you are right, there is no consumer-friendly
    > application that will do it.

    Maybe NSA or the CIA would share their government funded implementation
    with you. Grin.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 20, 2006