What if you put to fast a processor in a MB?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Joe Peach, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. Joe Peach

    Joe Peach Guest

    I'm taking a computer running slow/erratic/error stuff down to a HD format &
    installing XP.

    It an Asus A7a266, (rev 1.10) I went to Asus site & they mentioned it was
    capable of up to a 1.2 processor, the Bios shows a 1.4 installed.
    It has a 40 Gig HD
    one 512 DDR Ram
    An old creative 8x burner
    A creative DVD rom that has 12x wrote on the outside
    A zip 100
    floppy 1.4
    ATI PN 109-47200-00 (I can't find a model #, but the year is 1998) & it
    has a small slot with a small card fitted in on the middle top of the card.
    Few other cards....

    Anyways, Windows XP will not load anything but an NTSF format, then says it
    could not do the format, tell me to pick another type of format....but does
    not offer any other.

    So I pick a quick format NTSF, it completes it????? starts to install
    windows the pops up some files cant be copies like:
    W32tm.exe
    wiavosd.ddl
    wifeman.ddl WIFEMAN??????
    & a few others,

    Looks like it completes the installation, but then says the install
    failed......

    I believe the HD is good.....WD 450AA

    Any comments??.....are my problems because some idiot put to fast a
    processor on the MB???

    Thanks,

    Joe

    Joe Peach, Mar 1, 2004

  2. Joe Peach

    SaltPeter Guest

    &
    > installing XP.
    >
    > It an Asus A7a266, (rev 1.10) I went to Asus site & they mentioned it was
    > capable of up to a 1.2 processor, the Bios shows a 1.4 installed.
    > It has a 40 Gig HD
    > one 512 DDR Ram
    > An old creative 8x burner
    > A creative DVD rom that has 12x wrote on the outside
    > A zip 100
    > floppy 1.4
    > ATI PN 109-47200-00 (I can't find a model #, but the year is 1998) & it
    > has a small slot with a small card fitted in on the middle top of the

    card.
    > Few other cards....
    >
    > Anyways, Windows XP will not load anything but an NTSF format, then says

    it
    > could not do the format, tell me to pick another type of format....but

    does
    > not offer any other.
    >
    > So I pick a quick format NTSF, it completes it????? starts to install
    > windows the pops up some files cant be copies like:
    > W32tm.exe
    > wiavosd.ddl
    > wifeman.ddl WIFEMAN??????
    > & a few others,
    >
    > Looks like it completes the installation, but then says the install
    > failed......
    >
    > I believe the HD is good.....WD 450AA
    >
    > Any comments??.....are my problems because some idiot put to fast a
    > processor on the MB???
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Joe

    The correct acronym is NTFS. You can't use W2K setup to create a FAT32
    partition larger than 32 Gigs. Thats why only NTFS is offered. Nothing stops
    you from creating 2 distinct partitions in the case you prefer using FAT32.

    As far as setup failing, disable any mbr antivirus in bios setup and
    disconnect at least one of the CD-Roms and the zip drive. Basicly, if you
    aren't going to take the time to verify hardware compatibility, remove all
    non-essential devices. Did you compare your hardware with the OS's
    compatibility list in the case you might need drivers? Did you check whether
    a bios upgrade is an option?

    SaltPeter, Mar 1, 2004

  3. Joe Peach

    Joe Peach Guest

    Thanks,

    Never figured it out........changed almost everything.......XP will NOT
    install, however ME has found a home.....I'm sure with enough time & help,
    it could be done......but since this is a love of labor.......ME is fine on
    this computer from Hades.

    Thanks Saltpeter + Charcoal + Sulfur = LOL (Bang!!!)

    Sincerely...SP, Thanks for the reply.

    Joe

    Joe Peach, Mar 1, 2004
  4. Joe Peach

    Phil Guest

    Ya, but you will runs into problems with Me version since
    it is the most unstable system. I'll swich to second edition.

    SalterPeter did mention that you cannot use W2k to partition
    your harddrive more then 32 gigs?

    I wouldn't believe such thing since I was able partition
    my 40 gigs harddrive for dos and Windows second edition.

    Phil

    Phil, Mar 3, 2004
  5. Joe Peach

    Joe Peach Guest

    I ran ME on my computer for 2 years with only a few problems......

    Thanks, Phil

    Joe Peach, Mar 4, 2004