    my hardware with virus software I draw the line. I must stick out like a
    sore thumb because of honesty. My computer is a vehicle I try not to get it
    dented up. I am tired call me tired.

    Pat Pending, Oct 19, 2003

  2. Pat Pending

    pcbutts1 Guest

    You get a spine and tell them to go F*ck themselves, this is a free country.

    "Pat Pending" <> wrote in message
    > Dear help desk, What if you contribute to a newsgroup and someone does
    > not like what you have to say? Suppose they were to send you an email with

    > virus on it. A) stop writing. B)Go to the wading pool. C)Try not to offend
    > anyone and always water down whatever you have to say. E) Always change

    your
    > name and title every few weeks. I am afraid to say my mind. I don't care

    if
    > someone disagrees with me, I have an open mind, but when they try to

    damage

    pcbutts1, Oct 19, 2003

  3. Pat Pending

    Ionizer Guest

    > Dear help desk, What if you contribute to a newsgroup and someone does
    > not like what you have to say? Suppose they were to send you an email with

    > virus on it. A) stop writing. B)Go to the wading pool. C)Try not to offend
    > anyone and always water down whatever you have to say. E) Always change

    your
    > name and title every few weeks. I am afraid to say my mind. I don't care

    if
    > someone disagrees with me, I have an open mind, but when they try to

    damage
    > my hardware with virus software I draw the line. I must stick out like a
    > sore thumb because of honesty. My computer is a vehicle I try not to get

    it
    > dented up. I am tired call me tired.

    I think your concerns may be misplaced. Viruses often send themselves out
    to all the Contacts in the email program of an infected machine without the
    knowledge of that person. Many of us have been receiving numerous fake
    Microsoft patch emails lately with viruses attached for instance, but it's
    not as if someone is deliberately targeting us for something we might have
    said in a newsgroup.

    One thing you might want to consider though, is "munging" the email address
    in your headers when posting to newsgroups, in order to cut down on the
    amount of spam you'll receive otherwise:
    http://members.aol.com/emailfaq/mungfaq.html Another alternative is to use
    a "disposable" email address in your headers as I do (Hotmail.)

    In any case, keep your antivirus software up to date, your firewall up and
    your system patched with regular visits to Windows Update, don't open
    attachments without scrutinizing them, etc., and you'll probably be fine.
    No need to change your name.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Oct 19, 2003
  4. Pat Pending wrote:
    > Dear help desk, What if you contribute to a newsgroup and someone does
    > not like what you have to say? Suppose they were to send you an email with a
    > virus on it. A) stop writing. B)Go to the wading pool. C)Try not to offend
    > anyone and always water down whatever you have to say. E) Always change your
    > name and title every few weeks. I am afraid to say my mind. I don't care if
    > someone disagrees with me, I have an open mind, but when they try to damage
    > my hardware with virus software I draw the line. I must stick out like a
    > sore thumb because of honesty. My computer is a vehicle I try not to get it
    > dented up. I am tired call me tired.

    On Usenet, as long as you refrain from the illegal (harassing/stalking,
    death threats, etc.) and are within the terms of service of your ISP &
    providers, you can say pretty much whatever you want.

    The virus that you think someone is sending you is called SWEN; it is
    one of the worst virus infections the world has ever seen. One thing
    about Swen is that it picks up the addresses people have used on
    NEWSGROUPS instead of just from the address books of email programs;
    this is a new twist and, combined with the slick HTML message, makes it
    far more effective at spreading than the SoBig variants that preceded it.

    Get a good anti-virus program, don't open email attachments (no matter
    how "cool" looking or who sends them to you), and remember that MS NEVER
    sends out patches via email. If you need someone to send you an
    attachment, have them change the extension so it doesn't automatically
    open (i.e. use FILENAME.EX1 instead of FILENAME.EXE) and then change the
    extension when you save the file.

    But don't be paranoid about speaking your mind on Usenet; just keep in
    mind that everyone else also has that same right.

    And start paying attention to the news stories; Swen is no secret,
    having shut down the mail servers of a number of large corporations,
    some US government agencies, and many universities ... all due to people
    too stupid to not have learned, even NOW, to NOT OPEN EMAIL ATTACHMENTS
    NO MATTER HOW "AUTHENTIC" THEY LOOK.

    FWIW, since I have a lot of newsgroup posts "out there", I've still been
    getting these, another 1200 of them in the last week alone!
    (Fortunately, I don't use my primary work email address in my newsgroup
    posts.)

    -- DE

    Tergiversative, Oct 19, 2003
  5. Pat Pending

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Pat Pending tried to scribble ...

    > Dear help desk, What if you contribute to a newsgroup and someone
    > does not like what you have to say? Suppose they were to send you an
    > email with a virus on it. A) stop writing. B)Go to the wading pool.
    > C)Try not to offend anyone and always water down whatever you have to
    > say. E) Always change your name and title every few weeks. I am
    > afraid to say my mind. I don't care if someone disagrees with me, I
    > have an open mind, but when they try to damage my hardware with virus
    > software I draw the line. I must stick out like a sore thumb because
    > of honesty. My computer is a vehicle I try not to get it dented up. I
    > am tired call me tired.

    On the whole 'people' aren't sending you viruses. The current crop of virii
    are such that they send emails, replicating themselves, to all the people in
    an infected users address book. The user has no clue what's happening in
    many cases, and certainly isn't doing it deliberately. There are so many
    people with a virus infection out there that you may appear to get a flood
    of emails every time you go on a newsgroup .. ;)

    OTOH, you may just be an obnoxious dork who everyone simply sends a virus
    too 'cos they immediately dislike you .. ;)

    Search for a decent Anti-Virus program, etrust is good, a decent firewall,
    Zone Alarm is good, and a decent mail checker, Mailwasher is good. Also
    look up munging the email address you post to newsgroups with.

    Also, get over the paranoia, and if anyone annoys you on Usenet (Newsgroups)
    tell them so, and why, but be constructive.

    ;)

    --
    Digweed
    '79 Beamish RL 250, '85 Swift Corvette,

    Paul - xxx, Oct 19, 2003
  6. Pat Pending

    Jim PKP Guest

    Pat Pending had this to say on 19/10/2003 03:16:

    > Dear help desk, What if you contribute to a newsgroup and someone does
    > not like what you have to say? Suppose they were to send you an email with a
    > virus on it. A) stop writing. B)Go to the wading pool. C)Try not to offend
    > anyone and always water down whatever you have to say. E) Always change your
    > name and title every few weeks. I am afraid to say my mind.

    Just ignore them.
    What's D)??

    --
    Jim PKP

    Jim PKP, Oct 19, 2003
  7. Pat Pending

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Pat Pending continued:

    > Dear help desk, What if you contribute to a newsgroup and someone
    > does not like what you have to say? Suppose they were to send you an
    > email with a virus on it. A) stop writing. B)Go to the wading pool.
    > C)Try not to offend anyone and always water down whatever you have to
    > say. E) Always change your name and title every few weeks. I am
    > afraid to say my mind. I don't care if someone disagrees with me, I
    > have an open mind, but when they try to damage my hardware with virus
    > software I draw the line. I must stick out like a sore thumb because
    > of honesty. My computer is a vehicle I try not to get it dented up. I
    > am tired call me tired.

    You missed out :

    D) Tell them if they don't like your opinions then **** off and die.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Oct 19, 2003
  8. Pat Pending

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Jim PKP continued:

    > Pat Pending had this to say on 19/10/2003 03:16:
    >
    >> Dear help desk, What if you contribute to a newsgroup and someone
    >> does not like what you have to say? Suppose they were to send you an
    >> email with a virus on it. A) stop writing. B)Go to the wading pool.
    >> C)Try not to offend anyone and always water down whatever you have
    >> to say. E) Always change your name and title every few weeks. I am
    >> afraid to say my mind.

    > Just ignore them.
    > What's D)??

    Fourth letter in the alphabet.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Oct 19, 2003
  9. Pat Pending

    Jim PKP Guest

    slumpy had this to say on 19/10/2003 18:59:

    >>Just ignore them.
    >>What's D)??

    > Fourth letter in the alphabet.

    boom booom

    --
    Jim PKP

    Jim PKP, Oct 19, 2003
  10. slumpy Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed
    in <bmujc5$rh0m2$-berlin.de>:

    > You missed out :
    >
    > D) Tell them if they don't like your opinions then **** off and die.

    I prefer option "D". <G>

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Oct 19, 2003
  11. Pat Pending

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Thund3rstruck continued:

    > slumpy Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed
    > in <bmujc5$rh0m2$-berlin.de>:
    >
    >> You missed out :
    >>
    >> D) Tell them if they don't like your opinions then **** off and die.

    > I prefer option "D". <G>

    I don't give a shit what you think, just **** Off, OK ?
    ;-)
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Oct 19, 2003
  12. slumpy Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed
    in <bmusnd$r4neh$-berlin.de>:

    > "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you
    > ?" I threw back my head and roared with laughter as Thund3rstruck
    > continued:
    >
    >> slumpy Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed
    >> in <bmujc5$rh0m2$-berlin.de>:
    >>
    >>> You missed out :
    >>>
    >>> D) Tell them if they don't like your opinions then **** off and
    >>> die.

    >> I prefer option "D". <G>

    > I don't give a shit what you think, just **** Off, OK ?
    > ;-)

    **** off, fuckknuckle. <G>

    NOI
    (We better be careful. People will begin to think we're either
    married or something like that. <G>)

    Thund3rstruck, Oct 20, 2003
  13. Pat Pending

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 21:41:57 -0400, Thund3rstruck wrote:

    >slumpy Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed
    >in <bmusnd$r4neh$-berlin.de>:

    >> ?" I threw back my head and roared with laughter as Thund3rstruck
    >> continued:
    >>
    >>> slumpy Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed

    >>> I prefer option "D". <G>

    >> I don't give a shit what you think, just **** Off, OK ?
    >> ;-)

    > **** off, fuckknuckle. <G>
    >
    > NOI
    >(We better be careful. People will begin to think we're either
    >married or something like that. <G>)

    s/married/fucked

    ;)

    --
    "What goes up must come down. Ask any system administrator." -- Anonymous

    Mara, Oct 20, 2003
  14. slumpy wrote:

    > You missed out :
    >
    > D) Tell them if they don't like your opinions then **** off and die.

    But always say "HAND" instead, of course.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Oct 20, 2003
  15. Thund3rstruck wrote:

    > (We better be careful. People will begin to think we're either
    > married or something like that. <G>)

    Wha-a-a-a-a, you're NOT?! And I was all ready to send you that cute matching
    set of football team bobbledolls as an anniversary present!
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Oct 20, 2003
  16. Gary G. Taylor Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
    proclaimed in <VrJkb.112$>:

    > Thund3rstruck wrote:
    >
    >> (We better be careful. People will begin to think we're either
    >> married or something like that. <G>)

    > Wha-a-a-a-a, you're NOT?! And I was all ready to send you that cute
    > matching set of football team bobbledolls as an anniversary present!

    Which team? <G>

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Oct 20, 2003
  17. Pat Pending

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Thund3rstruck continued:

    > Gary G. Taylor Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
    > proclaimed in <VrJkb.112$>:
    >
    >> Thund3rstruck wrote:
    >>
    >>> (We better be careful. People will begin to think we're either
    >>> married or something like that. <G>)

    >> Wha-a-a-a-a, you're NOT?! And I was all ready to send you that cute
    >> matching set of football team bobbledolls as an anniversary present!

    > Which team? <G>

    LMAO !!!!
    --
    slumpy