    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    ArtKramr, Apr 29, 2004

  2. ArtKramr

    dylan Guest

    Firmware is the program inside a device, eg camera, that is usually stored
    on a chip. Most times it is an erasable storage chip so it can be
    overwritten with updates. Firmware is between Software (the programs) and
    hardware (the physical device). If Kodak issued it, and the camera firmware
    is capable of being upgraded, then you would probably either connect the
    camera to a PC, by USB or serial, or store on a memory card and insert it in
    the camera.

    "ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    > There has been a lot of traffic on this NG re: the high compression of

    Kodak
    > Cameras. Many say that Kodak should put out firmware to solve this

    problem.
    > What is firmware and how does it differ from software? If Kodak did issue

    such
    > firmware. how would we use it? In the camera? In our computer or printer?

    How?

    dylan, Apr 29, 2004

  3. ArtKramr

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: What if Kodak........
    >From: "dylan"
    >Date: 4/29/04 12:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    >Firmware is the program inside a device, eg camera, that is usually stored
    >on a chip. Most times it is an erasable storage chip so it can be
    >overwritten with updates. Firmware is between Software (the programs) and
    >hardware (the physical device). If Kodak issued it, and the camera firmware
    >is capable of being upgraded, then you would probably either connect the
    >camera to a PC, by USB or serial, or store on a memory card and insert it in
    >the camera.
    >

    >"ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    >> There has been a lot of traffic on this NG re: the high compression of

    >Kodak
    >> Cameras. Many say that Kodak should put out firmware to solve this

    >problem.
    >> What is firmware and how does it differ from software? If Kodak did issue

    >such
    >> firmware. how would we use it? In the camera? In our computer or printer?

    >How?
    >>

    >> Arthur Kramer
    >> 344th BG 494th BS
    >> England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
    >> Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    >> http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    Thank you. Appreciate it.

    Arthur

    ArtKramr, Apr 29, 2004
  4. ArtKramr

    ~ Darrell ~ Guest

    Firmware is similar to your computers bios. The instruction set and
    operating system for your camera (or other device) is normally stored on
    some form of memory of the hardware. Like your computer bios the firmware
    can be reflashed (reprogramed) to update the hardware. Often the reasons
    are; to fix a bug, or to allow the device to accept new items. For example
    new CF Cards with a higher MB or GB rating than was available when the
    camera was released.

    ~ Darrell ~, Apr 29, 2004
  5. ArtKramr

    y_p_w Guest

    ~ Darrell ~ wrote:

    > Firmware is similar to your computers bios. The instruction set and
    > operating system for your camera (or other device) is normally stored on
    > some form of memory of the hardware. Like your computer bios the firmware
    > can be reflashed (reprogramed) to update the hardware. Often the reasons
    > are; to fix a bug, or to allow the device to accept new items. For example
    > new CF Cards with a higher MB or GB rating than was available when the
    > camera was released.

    About the only thing that makes it "firmware" is that it's written
    into ROM/or EEPROM. In my work we deal with firmware where the only
    means of updating is to do another "spin" of silicon with a newly
    encoded ROM.

    In a camera or other digital "appliances" there's usually a (relatively)
    small amount of firmware capacity to work with. It might contain a
    rudimentary OS, simple programs/routines, and/or basic startup
    configuration.

    Camera firmware updates can be visible to the user (different menu
    options) but most are more or less hidden, such as modified image
    processing algorithms.

    y_p_w, Apr 30, 2004