What I want to see in Longhorn

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by PC, Sep 23, 2005.

  1. PC

    PC Guest

    Greetings all

    Just been posting a help reply to someone that couldn't find a folder
    because it was 'hidden' (Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View.....)
    While typing the reply the thought occured to me perhaps it's time a thread
    was started about what users would like to see 'fixed' in the next version
    of Windows (Longhorn)

    So knowing at least two Microsoft employee's read this newsgroup,I thought
    I'd start the ball rolling,

    Cheers
    Paul.

    (not necessarily in any order)

    1 Have file extensions visible by default.
    2 Don't hide email folders in hidden folders (eg local settings)
    3 Only one version of Windows but with 3 installation options.
    a) Full, all facilities business & media, all the minutae of settings &
    options
    b) Business with little or no game/entertainment & improved security
    c) Media with the emphasis on entertainment and single click setup.
    4 Fix the 'Won't open maximised' problem many users seem to suffer from when
    opening IE.
    5 Drop 'Activation' & make the product cheap enough to make piracy a non
    issue.
    6 Make IE truly uninstallable not just inactive.
    7 Make Windows Messenger 'off' by default.
    PC, Sep 23, 2005

  2. PC

    Rob J Guest

    In article <xmOYe.13803$>,
    says...
    > Greetings all
    >
    > Just been posting a help reply to someone that couldn't find a folder
    > because it was 'hidden' (Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View.....)
    > While typing the reply the thought occured to me perhaps it's time a thread
    > was started about what users would like to see 'fixed' in the next version
    > of Windows (Longhorn)
    >
    > So knowing at least two Microsoft employee's read this newsgroup,I thought
    > I'd start the ball rolling,
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul.
    >
    > (not necessarily in any order)
    >

    > 1 Have file extensions visible by default.
    > 2 Don't hide email folders in hidden folders (eg local settings)
    > 3 Only one version of Windows but with 3 installation options.
    > a) Full, all facilities business & media, all the minutae of settings &
    > options
    > b) Business with little or no game/entertainment & improved security
    > c) Media with the emphasis on entertainment and single click setup.
    > 4 Fix the 'Won't open maximised' problem many users seem to suffer from when
    > opening IE.
    > 5 Drop 'Activation' & make the product cheap enough to make piracy a non
    > issue.
    > 6 Make IE truly uninstallable not just inactive.
    > 7 Make Windows Messenger 'off' by default.

    Allow archive attributes to be edited in Explorer.
    Rob J, Sep 23, 2005

  3. PC

    Mercury Guest

    > Allow archive attributes to be edited in Explorer.

    To View:

    View -> Deatils.
    right clickon the column headers and tick Attributes.

    To Edit:

    select one or more files, right click and change away.
    (click advanced if needed)

    so, what's missing?
    Mercury, Sep 23, 2005
  4. In article <xmOYe.13803$>,
    "PC" <> wrote:

    >1 Have file extensions visible by default.

    That change alone would set Dimdows back 10 years.

    >3 Only one version of Windows but with 3 installation options.
    >a) Full, all facilities business & media, all the minutae of settings &
    >options
    >b) Business with little or no game/entertainment & improved security
    >c) Media with the emphasis on entertainment and single click setup.

    I notice you didn't include "improved security" in a) or c). Why not?

    >5 Drop 'Activation' & make the product cheap enough to make piracy a non
    >issue.

    *snigger*

    >6 Make IE truly uninstallable not just inactive.

    Didn't Microsoft representatives swear under oath that this wasn't
    technically possible?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 24, 2005
  5. PC

    Bling-Bling Guest

    >>1 Have file extensions visible by default.
    >
    > That change alone would set Dimdows back 10 years.

    Nope. I think that would be a good change to the default settings of
    DimDows.

    >>3 Only one version of Windows but with 3 installation options. a) Full,
    >>all facilities business & media, all the minutae of settings & options
    >>b) Business with little or no game/entertainment & improved security c)
    >>Media with the emphasis on entertainment and single click setup.

    > I notice you didn't include "improved security" in a) or c). Why not?

    Let's face it - Micro$oft is not capable of making a secure software
    product.

    >>5 Drop 'Activation' & make the product cheap enough to make piracy a non
    >>issue.

    > *snigger*

    Don't laugh. Micro$oft will need to do that in order to compete with Linux.

    >>6 Make IE truly uninstallable not just inactive.

    > Didn't Microsoft representatives swear under oath that this wasn't
    > technically possible?

    Yes.

    Bling Bling

    --
    Windows is a bonfire, Linux is the sun. Linux only looks smaller if you lack
    perspective.
    Bling-Bling, Sep 24, 2005
  6. PC

    pixel Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings all
    >
    > Just been posting a help reply to someone that couldn't find a folder
    > because it was 'hidden' (Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options,
    > View.....)
    > While typing the reply the thought occured to me perhaps it's time a
    > thread was started about what users would like to see 'fixed' in the next
    > version of Windows (Longhorn)
    >
    > So knowing at least two Microsoft employee's read this newsgroup,I thought
    > I'd start the ball rolling,
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul.
    >
    > (not necessarily in any order)
    >

    > 1 Have file extensions visible by default.
    > 2 Don't hide email folders in hidden folders (eg local settings)
    > 3 Only one version of Windows but with 3 installation options.
    > a) Full, all facilities business & media, all the minutae of settings &
    > options
    > b) Business with little or no game/entertainment & improved security
    > c) Media with the emphasis on entertainment and single click setup.
    > 4 Fix the 'Won't open maximised' problem many users seem to suffer from
    > when opening IE.

    I'd like the same for OE message windows, please.

    > 5 Drop 'Activation' & make the product cheap enough to make piracy a non
    > issue.
    > 6 Make IE truly uninstallable not just inactive.
    > 7 Make Windows Messenger 'off' by default.

    8. Direct method of reducing photos to email/web size
    9. Simpler method to print greyscale in IE and other applications
    10. "Rip" and "Burn" words used consistently for copying CDs - not "Copy"
    11. Some better screensavers and backgrounds !
    12. "Leave messages on server" in OE prompted for when setting up a new
    account

    pixel, Sep 25, 2005
  7. PC

    Steve H Guest

    On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 20:34:57 +1200, Bling-Bling wrote:

    >>>6 Make IE truly uninstallable not just inactive.

    >> Didn't Microsoft representatives swear under oath that this wasn't
    >> technically possible?

    > Yes.

    what makes you think that a statement on an ancient operating system is
    still applicable in longhorn, iirc most of longhorn is new code.

    --------
    Steven H
    Steve H, Sep 25, 2005
  8. PC

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 11:17:04 +1200, pixel wrote:

    > 8. Direct method of reducing photos to email/web size

    There is - it's called using photo editing software!

    >9. Simpler
    > method to print greyscale in IE and other applications

    There is already a very simply method to print greyscale. It's called
    correctly selecting "greyscale" in the "printer properties" dialogue.

    >10. "Rip" and
    > "Burn" words used consistently for copying CDs - not "Copy"

    What has that to do with an OS? You're talking about a CD/DVD burning
    client.

    >11. Some
    > better screensavers and backgrounds !

    All downloadable from the WWW.

    The best screen saver is the "blank" screen saver.

    And if you want good "desktop wallpaper" you're probably wanting to use a
    different OS altogether.

    >12. "Leave messages on server" in OE
    > prompted for when setting up a new account

    Again - that has nothing to do with M$ Windoze - it's an email client
    issue.

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, Sep 25, 2005
  9. PC

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 11:57:46 +1200, Steve H wrote:

    >>> Didn't Microsoft representatives swear under oath that this wasn't
    >>> technically possible?

    >> Yes.

    > what makes you think that a statement on an ancient operating system is
    > still applicable in longhorn, iirc most of longhorn is new code.

    Longhorn got dumped. M$ cut a new twig from its Windoze Server branch and
    called that twig "Vista". Only one feature of all those that were supposed
    to be core features of Windoze Longhorn will actually be a part of Windoze
    Vista.

    With respect to the use of IE as a part of the OS, all M$ has to do is to
    produce two separate instances of IE, with one that can function as a
    file-system browser (or even simply go back to using "Windows Explorer"
    but not as an HTML renderer, and, the other as an HTML renderer but not as
    a fils-system browser.

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, Sep 25, 2005
  10. PC

    XP Guest

    Why we dont want to see, is Longhorn

    Yes give this Crap postings a Miss.

    No one here needs Longhorn..
    XP, Sep 25, 2005
  11. PC

    Bling-Bling Guest

    Re: Why we dont want to see, is Longhorn

    On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 14:17:25 +1200, XP wrote:

    > Yes give this Crap postings a Miss.
    >
    > No one here needs Longhorn..

    Woger, "this" is singular. You should have used "posting" rather than
    "postings". Also, "Crap" is a noun, not an adjective. You should have used
    "crappy" rather than "crap" if you were attempting to describe the posting.

    And besides all that, why on earth would anyone want to give a posting an
    unmarried woman?

    Again you should consider replacing your keyboard - the full stop key is
    adding extra characters when pressed. Or are you instead holding it down
    for too long?

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, Sep 25, 2005
  12. PC

    PC Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings all
    >
    > Just been posting a help reply to someone that couldn't find a folder
    > because it was 'hidden' (Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options,
    > View.....)
    > While typing the reply the thought occured to me perhaps it's time a
    > thread was started about what users would like to see 'fixed' in the next
    > version of Windows (Longhorn)
    >
    > So knowing at least two Microsoft employee's read this newsgroup,I thought
    > I'd start the ball rolling,
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul.
    >
    > (not necessarily in any order)
    >

    > 1 Have file extensions visible by default.
    > 2 Don't hide email folders in hidden folders (eg local settings)
    > 3 Only one version of Windows but with 3 installation options.
    > a) Full, all facilities business & media, all the minutae of settings &
    > options
    > b) Business with little or no game/entertainment & improved security
    > c) Media with the emphasis on entertainment and single click setup.
    > 4 Fix the 'Won't open maximised' problem many users seem to suffer from
    > when opening IE.
    > 5 Drop 'Activation' & make the product cheap enough to make piracy a non
    > issue.
    > 6 Make IE truly uninstallable not just inactive.
    > 7 Make Windows Messenger 'off' by default.

    Another one I just thought of

    8 Printing on the COA big/clear enough to be read without a magnifying
    glass!

    Paul.
    PC, Sep 25, 2005
  13. PC

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 16:48:36 -0700, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    >>With respect to the use of IE as a part of the OS, all M$ has to do is to
    >>produce two separate instances of IE, with one that can function as a
    >>file-system browser (or even simply go back to using "Windows Explorer"
    >>but not as an HTML renderer, and, the other as an HTML renderer but not
    >>as a fils-system browser.

    > Now wouldn't this be a step backwards for innovation?

    It would be a great leap forward for security!

    And security is something that really *is* a novel idea at Micro$oft.

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, Sep 25, 2005
  14. PC

    GraB Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Yes give this Crap postings a Miss.
    >
    >No one here needs Longhorn..

    For once, I am inclined to agree with you. I'll be staying well clear
    or it.
    GraB, Sep 25, 2005
  15. Re: Why we dont want to see, is Longhorn

    T'was the Sun, 25 Sep 2005 17:36:26 +1200 when I remembered GraB
    <> saying something like this:

    >For once, I am inclined to agree with you. I'll be staying well clear
    >or it.

    I'm looking forward to it, the Aero theme looks real good from what
    I've seen, and the glass effect is very stylish.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Sep 25, 2005
  16. PC

    On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 21:17:03 +1200, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    >>For once, I am inclined to agree with you. I'll be staying well clear or
    >>it.

    > I'm looking forward to it, the Aero theme looks real good from what I've
    > seen, and the glass effect is very stylish. --
    > Cheers,

    Wow! Two of the best reasons to use new versions of the Micro$oft virus
    transmission vectors.

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, Sep 25, 2005
  17. pixel wrote:
    > 11. Some better screensavers and backgrounds !

    heh, ok then, odd request.

    > 12. "Leave messages on server" in OE prompted for when setting up a new
    > account

    This IMHO, would be a bad thing... users tend to click on dumb settings,
    and with having limited space(5MB I think) for users on servers like
    say... Xtra, it'd cause too much hassle.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 25, 2005
  18. Re: Why we dont want to see, is Longhorn

    XP wrote:
    > Yes give this Crap postings a Miss.
    > No one here needs Longhorn..

    didn't you say the same about XP... which you now use.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 25, 2005
  19. PC

    pixel Guest

    "Bling-Bling" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 11:17:04 +1200, pixel wrote:
    >
    >> 8. Direct method of reducing photos to email/web size

    > There is - it's called using photo editing software!

    Many people don't have it, or can't use it.
    If XP can reduce a photo for emailing, why not build in the ability to save
    a copy.
    This would be a very useful feature, IMHO.

    >>9. Simpler
    >> method to print greyscale in IE and other applications

    > There is already a very simply method to print greyscale. It's called
    > correctly selecting "greyscale" in the "printer properties" dialogue.

    Most people don't know how, IMHO.
    Or don't think to do it, so waste a lot of coloured ink.

    >>10. "Rip" and
    >> "Burn" words used consistently for copying CDs - not "Copy"

    > What has that to do with an OS? You're talking about a CD/DVD burning
    > client.

    XP has built in CD burning, using WMP.
    But it is still not straight forward.

    >>11. Some
    >> better screensavers and backgrounds !

    > All downloadable from the WWW.

    And who's going to do that ?
    They are notorious for adware etc

    > The best screen saver is the "blank" screen saver.
    >
    > And if you want good "desktop wallpaper" you're probably wanting to use a
    > different OS altogether.
    >

    >>12. "Leave messages on server" in OE
    >> prompted for when setting up a new account

    > Again - that has nothing to do with M$ Windoze - it's an email client
    > issue.

    I presume Longhorn/Vista will include OE, and hopefully an improved version.

    You obviously don't deal with non-geek computer users.
    pixel, Sep 26, 2005
  20. T'was the Sun, 25 Sep 2005 14:00:39 +1200 when I remembered
    Bling-Bling <> saying something like this:

    Waylon Kenning, Sep 26, 2005