What heatsink compound to use?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 20, 2005.

  1. Installing a new motherboard on a system - need to re-mount heatsink on
    CPU. What are opinions, please, on the best heatsink compound to use?

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.


    .... Smile - it's the second best thing you can do with your lips.
     
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 20, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Nicolaas Hawkins

    H.O.G Guest

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:31:11 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    <> spoke these fine words:

    >Installing a new motherboard on a system - need to re-mount heatsink on
    >CPU. What are opinions, please, on the best heatsink compound to use?


    Be very aware of the fact that using a compound will void the warranty
    on your motherboard.

    You must use a thermal pad thingee. And half decent AMD reseller will
    have them. (ie about 1 in 20 these days, but that's a different
    story).
     
    H.O.G, Aug 20, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Nicolaas Hawkins

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:31:11 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    <> wrote:

    >Installing a new motherboard on a system - need to re-mount heatsink on
    >CPU. What are opinions, please, on the best heatsink compound to use?


    I used Arctic Ceramique. That has good reviews on the Net.

    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/articsilvercermaiquereview2.php

    Conclusion
    Well there it is, Céramique scored just a few degrees lower than the
    current two top compounds. A few degrees that's sure to make any
    enthusiast happy. And to top it off, since Céramique isn't a thermal
    grease, it shouldn't void AMDs warrenty like AS3 is reported to do.
     
    GraB, Aug 20, 2005
    #3
  4. On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:57:41 +1200, "H.O.G" <> wrote in
    <news:>:

    > On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:31:11 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    > <> spoke these fine words:
    >
    >>Installing a new motherboard on a system - need to re-mount heatsink on
    >>CPU. What are opinions, please, on the best heatsink compound to use?

    >
    > Be very aware of the fact that using a compound will void the warranty
    > on your motherboard.
    >
    > You must use a thermal pad thingee. And half decent AMD reseller will
    > have them. (ie about 1 in 20 these days, but that's a different
    > story).


    This defies logic - I must query how what I use between the CPU and its
    heatsink (given that, not being an idiot, I will use the best thermal
    transfer compound I can get) is going to affect the warranty on the
    motherboard - of which the CPU assembly is not part.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.


    .... Oh -- and a bottle of bandersnatch repellent, please.
     
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 20, 2005
    #4
  5. On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 07:52:21 +1200, someone purporting to be Nicolaas
    Hawkins didst scrawl:

    > On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:57:41 +1200, "H.O.G" <> wrote in
    > <news:>:
    >

    *SNIP*
    > This defies logic - I must query how what I use between the CPU and its
    > heatsink (given that, not being an idiot, I will use the best thermal
    > transfer compound I can get) is going to affect the warranty on the
    > motherboard - of which the CPU assembly is not part.


    I think it would be incredibly difficult even for AMD to reject a warranty
    claim on the basis that an alternative thermal compound was used, unless
    they could demonstrate that heat damage was the cause of the failure.
    NZ consumer protection law does actually work quite well.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."
     
    Matthew Poole, Aug 21, 2005
    #5
  6. Nicolaas Hawkins

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    > On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:57:41 +1200, "H.O.G" <> wrote in
    > <news:>:
    >
    >> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:31:11 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    >> <> spoke these fine words:
    >>
    >>> Installing a new motherboard on a system - need to re-mount
    >>> heatsink on CPU. What are opinions, please, on the best heatsink
    >>> compound to use?

    >>
    >> Be very aware of the fact that using a compound will void the
    >> warranty on your motherboard.
    >>
    >> You must use a thermal pad thingee. And half decent AMD reseller will
    >> have them. (ie about 1 in 20 these days, but that's a different
    >> story).

    >
    > This defies logic


    And you're surprised? You've been here for ages, you should know who knows
    what.

    > - I must query how what I use between the CPU and
    > its heatsink (given that, not being an idiot, I will use the best
    > thermal transfer compound I can get) is going to affect the warranty
    > on the motherboard - of which the CPU assembly is not part.


    It's a H.O.G post, not meant to be taken seriously.
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Aug 21, 2005
    #6
  7. Nicolaas Hawkins

    H.O.G Guest

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 07:52:21 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    <> spoke these fine words:

    >On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:57:41 +1200, "H.O.G" <> wrote in
    ><news:>:
    >
    >> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:31:11 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    >> <> spoke these fine words:
    >>
    >>>Installing a new motherboard on a system - need to re-mount heatsink on
    >>>CPU. What are opinions, please, on the best heatsink compound to use?

    >>
    >> Be very aware of the fact that using a compound will void the warranty
    >> on your motherboard.


    Apologies, I meant the warranty on your CPU (as demonstrated in the
    next paragraph re: CPU reseller).

    >> You must use a thermal pad thingee. And half decent AMD reseller will
    >> have them. (ie about 1 in 20 these days, but that's a different
    >> story).

    >
    >This defies logic - I must query how what I use between the CPU and its
    >heatsink (given that, not being an idiot, I will use the best thermal
    >transfer compound I can get) is going to affect the warranty on the
    >motherboard - of which the CPU assembly is not part.
     
    H.O.G, Aug 21, 2005
    #7
  8. On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 11:45:23 +1200, Matthew Poole <> wrote
    in <news:p>:

    > On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 07:52:21 +1200, someone purporting to be Nicolaas
    > Hawkins didst scrawl:
    >
    >> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:57:41 +1200, "H.O.G" <> wrote in
    >> <news:>:
    >>

    > *SNIP*
    >> This defies logic - I must query how what I use between the CPU and its
    >> heatsink (given that, not being an idiot, I will use the best thermal
    >> transfer compound I can get) is going to affect the warranty on the
    >> motherboard - of which the CPU assembly is not part.

    >
    > I think it would be incredibly difficult even for AMD to reject a warranty
    > claim on the basis that an alternative thermal compound was used, unless
    > they could demonstrate that heat damage was the cause of the failure.
    > NZ consumer protection law does actually work quite well.


    I couldn't agree more.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.


    .... Vole Light - All the flavour of voles, only half the calories, and
    none of the fur, teeth, or claws.
     
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 21, 2005
    #8
  9. Nicolaas Hawkins

    H.O.G Guest

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 12:32:39 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> spoke these fine words:

    >Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:57:41 +1200, "H.O.G" <> wrote in
    >> <news:>:
    >>
    >>> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:31:11 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    >>> <> spoke these fine words:
    >>>
    >>>> Installing a new motherboard on a system - need to re-mount
    >>>> heatsink on CPU. What are opinions, please, on the best heatsink
    >>>> compound to use?
    >>>
    >>> Be very aware of the fact that using a compound will void the
    >>> warranty on your motherboard.
    >>>
    >>> You must use a thermal pad thingee. And half decent AMD reseller will
    >>> have them. (ie about 1 in 20 these days, but that's a different
    >>> story).

    >>
    >> This defies logic

    >
    >And you're surprised? You've been here for ages, you should know who knows
    >what.


    Dickwad. I'll bet you a bottle of gold label Jim Beam that using a
    non-approved thermal compound voids the warranty on your processor.

    >> - I must query how what I use between the CPU and
    >> its heatsink (given that, not being an idiot, I will use the best
    >> thermal transfer compound I can get) is going to affect the warranty
    >> on the motherboard - of which the CPU assembly is not part.

    >
    >It's a H.O.G post, not meant to be taken seriously.


    You can talk, trying to say that AVG is better than Symantec, even
    though the facts say the opposite. Don't let the facts get in the way,
    though, ay?
     
    H.O.G, Aug 21, 2005
    #9
  10. On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 12:32:39 +1200, ~misfit~ <>
    wrote in <news:4307ccaa$>:

    > Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:57:41 +1200, "H.O.G" <> wrote in
    >> <news:>:
    >>
    >>> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:31:11 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    >>> <> spoke these fine words:
    >>>
    >>>> Installing a new motherboard on a system - need to re-mount
    >>>> heatsink on CPU. What are opinions, please, on the best heatsink
    >>>> compound to use?
    >>>
    >>> Be very aware of the fact that using a compound will void the
    >>> warranty on your motherboard.
    >>>
    >>> You must use a thermal pad thingee. And half decent AMD reseller will
    >>> have them. (ie about 1 in 20 these days, but that's a different
    >>> story).

    >>
    >> This defies logic

    >
    > And you're surprised? You've been here for ages, you should know who knows
    > what.
    >
    >> - I must query how what I use between the CPU and
    >> its heatsink (given that, not being an idiot, I will use the best
    >> thermal transfer compound I can get) is going to affect the warranty
    >> on the motherboard - of which the CPU assembly is not part.

    >
    > It's a H.O.G post, not meant to be taken seriously.


    Hmmmmmmmm ...........

    I'm sure the other "authority" will poke his oar in shortly.

    Maybe I should have added "Fools and idiots need not reply".

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.


    .... We are all one ... which makes it difficult to get replacements.
     
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 21, 2005
    #10
  11. Nicolaas Hawkins

    shannon Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 11:45:23 +1200, Matthew Poole <> wrote
    > in <news:p>:
    >
    >
    >>On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 07:52:21 +1200, someone purporting to be Nicolaas
    >>Hawkins didst scrawl:
    >>
    >>
    >>>On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:57:41 +1200, "H.O.G" <> wrote in
    >>><news:>:
    >>>

    >>
    >>*SNIP*
    >>
    >>>This defies logic - I must query how what I use between the CPU and its
    >>>heatsink (given that, not being an idiot, I will use the best thermal
    >>>transfer compound I can get) is going to affect the warranty on the
    >>>motherboard - of which the CPU assembly is not part.

    >>
    >>I think it would be incredibly difficult even for AMD to reject a warranty
    >>claim on the basis that an alternative thermal compound was used, unless
    >>they could demonstrate that heat damage was the cause of the failure.
    >>NZ consumer protection law does actually work quite well.

    >
    >
    > I couldn't agree more.
    >


    I have a copy the AMD processor warranty in front of me, and it doesn't
    even mention heatsinks, let alone thermal compound or sticker pads.
    All it says is that "This limited warranty does not cover damage due to
    external causes including improper use, problems with electrical power,
    accident, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or
    improper testing."
    H.O.G. is bullshitting.
     
    shannon, Aug 21, 2005
    #11
  12. Nicolaas Hawkins

    shannon Guest

    H.O.G wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 12:32:39 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> spoke these fine words:
    >
    >
    >>Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:57:41 +1200, "H.O.G" <> wrote in
    >>><news:>:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:31:11 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    >>>><> spoke these fine words:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>Installing a new motherboard on a system - need to re-mount
    >>>>>heatsink on CPU. What are opinions, please, on the best heatsink
    >>>>>compound to use?
    >>>>
    >>>>Be very aware of the fact that using a compound will void the
    >>>>warranty on your motherboard.
    >>>>
    >>>>You must use a thermal pad thingee. And half decent AMD reseller will
    >>>>have them. (ie about 1 in 20 these days, but that's a different
    >>>>story).
    >>>
    >>>This defies logic

    >>
    >>And you're surprised? You've been here for ages, you should know who knows
    >>what.

    >
    >
    > Dickwad. I'll bet you a bottle of gold label Jim Beam that using a
    > non-approved thermal compound voids the warranty on your processor.
    >


    The pad is part of the cooler package, not the CPU.
    Its not mentioned at all in the warranty.
    I expect you will weasel out of delivering the JB on a technicality
     
    shannon, Aug 21, 2005
    #12
  13. Nicolaas Hawkins

    H.O.G Guest

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 11:45:23 +1200, Matthew Poole <>
    spoke these fine words:

    >On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 07:52:21 +1200, someone purporting to be Nicolaas
    >Hawkins didst scrawl:
    >
    >> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:57:41 +1200, "H.O.G" <> wrote in
    >> <news:>:
    >>

    >*SNIP*
    >> This defies logic - I must query how what I use between the CPU and its
    >> heatsink (given that, not being an idiot, I will use the best thermal
    >> transfer compound I can get) is going to affect the warranty on the
    >> motherboard - of which the CPU assembly is not part.

    >
    >I think it would be incredibly difficult even for AMD to reject a warranty
    >claim on the basis that an alternative thermal compound was used, unless
    >they could demonstrate that heat damage was the cause of the failure.
    >NZ consumer protection law does actually work quite well.


    Of course they could, in the same way an appliance manufacturer could
    void the warranty if you did not use approved parts in it, or an
    engine manufacturer could void the warranty on a new head if an
    appropriate head gasket wasn't used.

    The fact is, many thermal compounds conduct electricity, shorting
    connectors and things on the top of the processor. Additionally, many
    people empty a whole tube of thermal grease on the top of the
    processor, with obvious overflow problems.

    Also, many thermal compounds dry to be hard and crusty over time which
    causes heat spots (ie results in unequal dissipation of heat), which
    obviously causes major problems, and significantly reduces the life of
    a processor.

    Note that AMD boxed products come with a 3 year warranty, which is
    voided if you use a cooling solution (compound or heatsink/fan) other
    than that supplied with the product. Tray (OEM) products, which are
    only available grey market in NZ, come with a 12 month warranty, but
    you can use any AMD-approved cooling solution. Note that most thermal
    compounds are NOT AMD approved, and you are much better off using an
    AMD thermal pad (htey are very affected, wont reduce the life of the
    product, wont affect the warranty, and are cheap).

    In reality, AMD are pretty reasonable about this. It is usually pretty
    easy to tell whether an inappropriate compound has been used which
    could have contributed to the failure.

    Unlike idiots like misfit, I don't make this sort of thing up. I hold
    a Gold Certification from AMD, and knowledge of this is one of the
    things tested during the Certification Exam, as others here can no
    doubt attest.
     
    H.O.G, Aug 21, 2005
    #13
  14. Nicolaas Hawkins

    H.O.G Guest

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 14:06:30 +1200, shannon <> spoke
    these fine words:

    >>>>>>Installing a new motherboard on a system - need to re-mount
    >>>>>>heatsink on CPU. What are opinions, please, on the best heatsink
    >>>>>>compound to use?
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Be very aware of the fact that using a compound will void the
    >>>>>warranty on your motherboard.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>You must use a thermal pad thingee. And half decent AMD reseller will
    >>>>>have them. (ie about 1 in 20 these days, but that's a different
    >>>>>story).
    >>>>
    >>>>This defies logic
    >>>
    >>>And you're surprised? You've been here for ages, you should know who knows
    >>>what.

    >>
    >>
    >> Dickwad. I'll bet you a bottle of gold label Jim Beam that using a
    >> non-approved thermal compound voids the warranty on your processor.
    >>

    >
    >The pad is part of the cooler package, not the CPU.
    >Its not mentioned at all in the warranty.
    >I expect you will weasel out of delivering the JB on a technicality


    Maybe you should have checked it out before replying:
    http://tinyurl.com/8mn8d
     
    H.O.G, Aug 21, 2005
    #14
  15. Nicolaas Hawkins

    shannon Guest

    H.O.G wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 11:45:23 +1200, Matthew Poole <>
    > spoke these fine words:
    >
    >
    >>On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 07:52:21 +1200, someone purporting to be Nicolaas
    >>Hawkins didst scrawl:
    >>
    >>
    >>>On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:57:41 +1200, "H.O.G" <> wrote in
    >>><news:>:
    >>>

    >>
    >>*SNIP*
    >>
    >>>This defies logic - I must query how what I use between the CPU and its
    >>>heatsink (given that, not being an idiot, I will use the best thermal
    >>>transfer compound I can get) is going to affect the warranty on the
    >>>motherboard - of which the CPU assembly is not part.

    >>
    >>I think it would be incredibly difficult even for AMD to reject a warranty
    >>claim on the basis that an alternative thermal compound was used, unless
    >>they could demonstrate that heat damage was the cause of the failure.
    >>NZ consumer protection law does actually work quite well.

    >
    >
    > Of course they could, in the same way an appliance manufacturer could
    > void the warranty if you did not use approved parts in it, or an
    > engine manufacturer could void the warranty on a new head if an
    > appropriate head gasket wasn't used.
    >
    > The fact is, many thermal compounds conduct electricity, shorting
    > connectors and things on the top of the processor. Additionally, many
    > people empty a whole tube of thermal grease on the top of the
    > processor, with obvious overflow problems.
    >
    > Also, many thermal compounds dry to be hard and crusty over time which
    > causes heat spots (ie results in unequal dissipation of heat), which
    > obviously causes major problems, and significantly reduces the life of
    > a processor.
    >
    > Note that AMD boxed products come with a 3 year warranty, which is
    > voided if you use a cooling solution (compound or heatsink/fan) other
    > than that supplied with the product. Tray (OEM) products, which are
    > only available grey market in NZ, come with a 12 month warranty, but
    > you can use any AMD-approved cooling solution. Note that most thermal
    > compounds are NOT AMD approved, and you are much better off using an
    > AMD thermal pad (htey are very affected, wont reduce the life of the
    > product, wont affect the warranty, and are cheap).
    >
    > In reality, AMD are pretty reasonable about this. It is usually pretty
    > easy to tell whether an inappropriate compound has been used which
    > could have contributed to the failure.
    >
    > Unlike idiots like misfit, I don't make this sort of thing up. I hold
    > a Gold Certification from AMD, and knowledge of this is one of the
    > things tested during the Certification Exam, as others here can no
    > doubt attest.


    I think you embellished the actual situation with a dire warning of the
    consequences, and now you are back pedalling.
    There is no mention of voiding the warranty in the documentation
    supplied with the processor, and suitable thermal compounds and
    aftermarket coolers not made by AMD are sold by computer part vendors
    with the recommendation that they are suitable for AMD processors. The
    warranty could only be void if overheating due to an incorrect cooling
    system was the cause of the failure, not an automatic consequence of
    using a different but correct type of heat transfer compound as clearly
    stated by the OP.
     
    shannon, Aug 21, 2005
    #15
  16. Nicolaas Hawkins

    shannon Guest

    H.O.G wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 14:06:30 +1200, shannon <> spoke
    > these fine words:
    >
    >
    >>>>>>>Installing a new motherboard on a system - need to re-mount
    >>>>>>>heatsink on CPU. What are opinions, please, on the best heatsink
    >>>>>>>compound to use?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>Be very aware of the fact that using a compound will void the
    >>>>>>warranty on your motherboard.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>You must use a thermal pad thingee. And half decent AMD reseller will
    >>>>>>have them. (ie about 1 in 20 these days, but that's a different
    >>>>>>story).
    >>>>>
    >>>>>This defies logic
    >>>>
    >>>>And you're surprised? You've been here for ages, you should know who knows
    >>>>what.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Dickwad. I'll bet you a bottle of gold label Jim Beam that using a
    >>>non-approved thermal compound voids the warranty on your processor.
    >>>

    >>
    >>The pad is part of the cooler package, not the CPU.
    >>Its not mentioned at all in the warranty.
    >>I expect you will weasel out of delivering the JB on a technicality

    >
    >
    > Maybe you should have checked it out before replying:
    > http://tinyurl.com/8mn8d


    Maybe you should just go **** yourself.
    I have the warranty, not some he said she said web forum gossip.
    It only becomes an issue if the processor fails due to heat.
    It will not be any issue for any other warranty claim, it does not void
    the warranty.
     
    shannon, Aug 21, 2005
    #16
  17. Nicolaas Hawkins

    H.O.G Guest

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 14:33:02 +1200, shannon <> spoke
    these fine words:

    >> In reality, AMD are pretty reasonable about this. It is usually pretty
    >> easy to tell whether an inappropriate compound has been used which
    >> could have contributed to the failure.
    >>
    >> Unlike idiots like misfit, I don't make this sort of thing up. I hold
    >> a Gold Certification from AMD, and knowledge of this is one of the
    >> things tested during the Certification Exam, as others here can no
    >> doubt attest.

    >
    >I think you embellished the actual situation with a dire warning of the
    >consequences, and now you are back pedalling.
    >There is no mention of voiding the warranty in the documentation
    >supplied with the processor, and suitable thermal compounds and
    >aftermarket coolers not made by AMD are sold by computer part vendors
    >with the recommendation that they are suitable for AMD processors. The
    >warranty could only be void if overheating due to an incorrect cooling
    >system was the cause of the failure, not an automatic consequence of
    >using a different but correct type of heat transfer compound as clearly
    > stated by the OP.


    No, I am not back pedalling, and no I am not "bullshitting" as you so
    aloquently put it in another post.

    Fact is, using a non-AMD Approved cooling solution voids the warranty
    on an AMD processor. It doesn't matter what "computer part vendors"
    say. It doesn't matter what is and isn't available. What matters is
    that AMD say using an alternative cooling solution other than the one
    that is supplied with the processor is regarded as inappropriate use,
    and voids the warranty. Period. You must use the cooling solution
    provided by AMD in the box the processor comes in. It really isn't
    very hard to understand, and if you do a little research you will find
    that I am completely correct.

    As I said, this is not just an opinion, but something that is taught
    as part of the Gold Certification Programme from AMD. You must know
    this to achieve Gold Certification.

    I would think an apology from people like you and ~misfit~ for calling
    me names for stating a fact would be appropriate, but history tells me
    not to hold my breath.
     
    H.O.G, Aug 21, 2005
    #17
  18. Nicolaas Hawkins

    H.O.G Guest

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 14:39:51 +1200, shannon <> spoke
    these fine words:

    >>>>Dickwad. I'll bet you a bottle of gold label Jim Beam that using a
    >>>>non-approved thermal compound voids the warranty on your processor.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>The pad is part of the cooler package, not the CPU.
    >>>Its not mentioned at all in the warranty.
    >>>I expect you will weasel out of delivering the JB on a technicality

    >>
    >>
    >> Maybe you should have checked it out before replying:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/8mn8d

    >
    >Maybe you should just go **** yourself.


    Settle, petal. Can't admit when you are wrong?

    >I have the warranty, not some he said she said web forum gossip.
    >It only becomes an issue if the processor fails due to heat.
    >It will not be any issue for any other warranty claim, it does not void
    >the warranty.


    Why do you think processors fail? Other than DOA, 95% of failures are
    caused directly or indirectly by overheating (often in conjunction
    with weaknesses caused by not using correct antistatic protection).
    THAT is why AMD state that the heatsink/fan supplied by the processor
    must be used with said processor, or the warranty is void.

    I don't understand why you can't understand such a simple concept.
    They supply a processor and a heatsink/fan. You must use the supplied
    heatsink/fan with that processor, as they form one product. Simple
    stuff, really.
     
    H.O.G, Aug 21, 2005
    #18
  19. Nicolaas Hawkins

    Bret Guest

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 14:01:57 +1200, shannon <> wrote:

    >Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 11:45:23 +1200, Matthew Poole <> wrote
    >> in <news:p>:
    >>
    >>
    >>>On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 07:52:21 +1200, someone purporting to be Nicolaas
    >>>Hawkins didst scrawl:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:57:41 +1200, "H.O.G" <> wrote in
    >>>><news:>:
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>*SNIP*
    >>>
    >>>>This defies logic - I must query how what I use between the CPU and its
    >>>>heatsink (given that, not being an idiot, I will use the best thermal
    >>>>transfer compound I can get) is going to affect the warranty on the
    >>>>motherboard - of which the CPU assembly is not part.
    >>>
    >>>I think it would be incredibly difficult even for AMD to reject a warranty
    >>>claim on the basis that an alternative thermal compound was used, unless
    >>>they could demonstrate that heat damage was the cause of the failure.
    >>>NZ consumer protection law does actually work quite well.

    >>
    >>
    >> I couldn't agree more.
    >>

    >
    >I have a copy the AMD processor warranty in front of me, and it doesn't
    >even mention heatsinks, let alone thermal compound or sticker pads.
    >All it says is that "This limited warranty does not cover damage due to
    >external causes including improper use, problems with electrical power,
    >accident, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or
    >improper testing."
    >H.O.G. is bullshitting.


    Alteration ie:removing the heatpad, and improper installation ie: not
    using the supplied pad.
     
    Bret, Aug 21, 2005
    #19
  20. On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 14:42:15 +1200, "H.O.G" <> wrote in
    <news:>:

    > On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 14:33:02 +1200, shannon <> spoke
    > these fine words:
    >
    >>> In reality, AMD are pretty reasonable about this. It is usually pretty
    >>> easy to tell whether an inappropriate compound has been used which
    >>> could have contributed to the failure.
    >>>
    >>> Unlike idiots like misfit, I don't make this sort of thing up. I hold
    >>> a Gold Certification from AMD, and knowledge of this is one of the
    >>> things tested during the Certification Exam, as others here can no
    >>> doubt attest.

    >>
    >>I think you embellished the actual situation with a dire warning of the
    >>consequences, and now you are back pedalling.
    >>There is no mention of voiding the warranty in the documentation
    >>supplied with the processor, and suitable thermal compounds and
    >>aftermarket coolers not made by AMD are sold by computer part vendors
    >>with the recommendation that they are suitable for AMD processors. The
    >>warranty could only be void if overheating due to an incorrect cooling
    >>system was the cause of the failure, not an automatic consequence of
    >>using a different but correct type of heat transfer compound as clearly
    >> stated by the OP.

    >
    > No, I am not back pedalling, and no I am not "bullshitting" as you so
    > aloquently put it in another post.
    >
    > Fact is, using a non-AMD Approved cooling solution voids the warranty
    > on an AMD processor. It doesn't matter what "computer part vendors"
    > say. It doesn't matter what is and isn't available. What matters is
    > that AMD say using an alternative cooling solution other than the one
    > that is supplied with the processor is regarded as inappropriate use,
    > and voids the warranty. Period. You must use the cooling solution
    > provided by AMD in the box the processor comes in. It really isn't
    > very hard to understand, and if you do a little research you will find
    > that I am completely correct.
    >
    > As I said, this is not just an opinion, but something that is taught
    > as part of the Gold Certification Programme from AMD. You must know
    > this to achieve Gold Certification.
    >
    > I would think an apology from people like you and ~misfit~ for calling
    > me names for stating a fact would be appropriate, but history tells me
    > not to hold my breath.


    Reasonable Question: On what basis are you assuming that the CPU I am
    working with is an AMD device?

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.


    .... All bleeding stops ... eventually.
     
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 21, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. buffy

    Thermal compound or not

    buffy, Oct 9, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    665
    Dead_Dad
    Oct 14, 2003
  2. da_sly_1

    Thermal compound removal

    da_sly_1, Jan 8, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,668
  3. Michael Ware

    Heatsink+thermal compound

    Michael Ware, Feb 19, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    549
    Unknown
    Feb 21, 2004
  4. Donald McTrevor

    Cheaper heatsink compound.

    Donald McTrevor, Aug 8, 2005, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    731
    bambam
    Aug 9, 2005
  5. SS
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    2,851
Loading...

Share This Page