What has happened to VCRs?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by The Man Behind The Curtain, Aug 19, 2005.

  1. I am in the market for a new VCR. It doesn't have to be anything fancy.
    A $100 model will do nicely, and even that is overkill. I just want
    the basics.

    Yet I'm dismayed by the choices I'm seeing. First of all, not many
    choices--either manufacturers have stopped making them or stores have
    stopped stocking them. A Circuit City I was in today had exactly TWO
    models, both of them junk. A Best Buy wasn't much better--they had
    four, the same two as the CC, plus two more cheapies.

    More to the point, they all look and feel like they are going to fall
    apart in a month. I mean, the obsolescence and wear-and-tear factors
    seem deliberately built in. I know I just want a basic model, but can't
    I get a machine that plays and records and is put together decently and
    doesn't feel like a cheap Fisher-Price toy? Seriously, some of the
    buttons on these models, if I pressed just a little harder I think they
    would snap or break. And these were "name" models: Panasonic, Sony,
    Pioneer, Hitachi, JVC.

    A few years ago I bought a basic VCR for about $100. It was reasonably
    well-built (though even it was a step down from my former model) and I
    liked it fine. But then I bought a combo unit and didn't need the
    separate player, and since I'm pressed for space I sold it. I always
    figured I could get something comparable in the future, and if anything
    it would be even better and cheaper, because that's the way I thought
    electronics were supposed to go. Wrong, apparently.

    I almost want to say screw it and not buy anything.

    John

    The Man Behind The Curtain, Aug 19, 2005

  2. The Man Behind The Curtain

    Biz Guest

    You do realize you're postin gthis question in a dvd NG, in fact you posted
    it in 2 dvd NGs. Thats what happened to vcrs....Almost zero demand. If you
    want to record tv, you buy/rent/lease a DVR/PVR or even a DVD recorder...If
    you like to rent movies, everyone has a dvd player now. The ONLY good
    reason to have a vcr today is for old stuff you have.

    Biz, Aug 19, 2005

  3. The Man Behind The Curtain

    Marv Soloff Guest

    Check with B&H on the web. Fast glance shows VHS machines from $55.00 to
    just under $1,000. I'm pretty sure the 1K machine will last more than a
    fortnight.

    Regards,

    Marv

    Marv Soloff, Aug 19, 2005
  4. On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 04:45:13 GMT, Marv Soloff
    <> wrote:

    >Check with B&H on the web. Fast glance shows VHS machines from $55.00 to
    >just under $1,000. I'm pretty sure the 1K machine will last more than a
    >fortnight.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Marv

    And don't overlook Goodwill and Cash Convertors/thrift stores. I have
    a great Toshiba machine, one of the best pictures I've seen, HiFi, 7
    heads, adjustable noise reduction and sharpness, editing with flying
    erase, and it cost $12 at Goodwill! Also I've seen SVHS decks at
    thrift shops, and Betamaxes in good shape.. (Have you tried to buy a
    Betamax on Ebay lately?)

    These older machines are very very well made. My twenty-one year old
    SLHF900 is still going strong.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Aug 19, 2005
  5. The Man Behind The Curtain wrote:
    > I am in the market for a new VCR. It doesn't have to be anything fancy.
    > A $100 model will do nicely, and even that is overkill. I just want
    > the basics.
    >
    > Yet I'm dismayed by the choices I'm seeing. First of all, not many
    > choices--either manufacturers have stopped making them or stores have
    > stopped stocking them. A Circuit City I was in today had exactly TWO
    > models, both of them junk. A Best Buy wasn't much better--they had
    > four, the same two as the CC, plus two more cheapies.

    Did you try looking at the combo players (which's what all the models
    have essentially been reduced to)?

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Aug 19, 2005
  6. The Man Behind The Curtain

    Mac Breck Guest

    "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message

    > (Have you tried to buy a Betamax on Ebay lately?)

    No. What are you inferring?

    --
    Mac Breck (KoshN)
    -------------------------------

    "Brimstone" (1998)
    [Stone lights a candle for the dead in a Catholic church]
    Gina: Who's that for?
    Ezekiel Stone: Me.

    Mac Breck, Aug 19, 2005
  7. "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 04:45:13 GMT, Marv Soloff
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Check with B&H on the web. Fast glance shows VHS machines from $55.00
    >>to just under $1,000. I'm pretty sure the 1K machine will last more
    >>than a fortnight.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>
    >>Marv

    > And don't overlook Goodwill and Cash Convertors/thrift stores. I have
    > a great Toshiba machine, one of the best pictures I've seen, HiFi, 7
    > heads, adjustable noise reduction and sharpness, editing with flying
    > erase, and it cost $12 at Goodwill! Also I've seen SVHS decks at
    > thrift shops, and Betamaxes in good shape.. (Have you tried to buy a
    > Betamax on Ebay lately?)
    >
    > These older machines are very very well made. My twenty-one year old
    > SLHF900 is still going strong.

    While it's not for the budget-minded, Crutchfeld still stocks
    decent 4-head stereo units.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Aug 19, 2005
  8. The Man Behind The Curtain

    Donald Link Guest

    Great attitude. Try to buy a technology that has gone by the wayside
    and then wonder why the hell they do not make it anymore. Can you
    comprehend that the productin of VCRs are going the way of the film
    cameras. Having said that you should really check Ebay.

    Donald Link, Aug 19, 2005
  9. On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 02:28:42 -0400, "Mac Breck"
    <> wrote:

    >"Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> (Have you tried to buy a Betamax on Ebay lately?)

    >No. What are you inferring?

    They can go for 100s of dollars, which is ridiculous on the face of
    it.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Aug 19, 2005
  10. On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 03:52:23 -0400, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 02:28:42 -0400, "Mac Breck"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>"Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> (Have you tried to buy a Betamax on Ebay lately?)

    >>No. What are you inferring?

    >They can go for 100s of dollars, which is ridiculous on the face of
    >it.
    >
    >.. Steve ..

    Ebay is one of the biggest ripoffs around these days. I stopped using
    it a few years ago.

    ~~~~~~~~@dotdotdot.com, Aug 19, 2005
  11. The Man Behind The Curtain

    MCheu Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I am in the market for a new VCR. It doesn't have to be anything fancy.
    > A $100 model will do nicely, and even that is overkill. I just want
    >the basics.
    >
    >Yet I'm dismayed by the choices I'm seeing. First of all, not many
    >choices--either manufacturers have stopped making them or stores have
    >stopped stocking them. A Circuit City I was in today had exactly TWO
    >models, both of them junk. A Best Buy wasn't much better--they had
    >four, the same two as the CC, plus two more cheapies.
    >
    >More to the point, they all look and feel like they are going to fall
    >apart in a month. I mean, the obsolescence and wear-and-tear factors
    >seem deliberately built in. I know I just want a basic model, but can't
    >I get a machine that plays and records and is put together decently and
    >doesn't feel like a cheap Fisher-Price toy? Seriously, some of the
    >buttons on these models, if I pressed just a little harder I think they
    >would snap or break. And these were "name" models: Panasonic, Sony,
    >Pioneer, Hitachi, JVC.
    >
    >A few years ago I bought a basic VCR for about $100. It was reasonably
    >well-built (though even it was a step down from my former model) and I
    >liked it fine. But then I bought a combo unit and didn't need the
    >separate player, and since I'm pressed for space I sold it. I always
    >figured I could get something comparable in the future, and if anything
    >it would be even better and cheaper, because that's the way I thought
    >electronics were supposed to go. Wrong, apparently.
    >
    >I almost want to say screw it and not buy anything.
    >
    >John

    First off, don't compare those new VCRs to Fisher-Price toys.
    Fisher-Price toys are designed to take a lot of abuse. Those recent
    build VCRs could never stand up to the level of abuse those toys get
    in a single day with a kid.

    I doubt you could buy a better built unit new right now. Almost every
    VCR built today seem to be sourced from the same factory in China
    (similar circuit board and connector layout). Probably made by the
    same sweatshop kids that make your Nikes.

    If you've still got the old one and don't mind tinkering a bit, 90% of
    the time, the VCR is salvageable. The only parts that usually need
    replacing are the rubber rollers and belts. According to an old guy
    that repaired TVs and VCRs (before disposable units put him out of
    business), those parts are supposed to be replaced every 2-3 years
    anyways, which is typically why your average VCR also starts eating
    tapes at that point too. The older VCRs are much more durable and it
    usually only needs about $10 worth of parts to get them back in
    service. There are a bunch of sites online that give you detailed
    instructions on how to replace the parts, and some give links to site
    tht sell the parts -- you only need to specify the model# to get the
    right parts kit.
    Thanks.

    MCheu

    MCheu, Aug 19, 2005
  12. The Man Behind The Curtain

    Large Farva Guest

    What's a VCR?

    Large Farva, Aug 19, 2005
  13. The Man Behind The Curtain

    Adrian Guest

    Large Farva wrote:
    > What's a VCR?

    Look at a history site.
    --
    Adrian A

    Adrian, Aug 19, 2005
  14. The Man Behind The Curtain

    TokaMundo Guest

    On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 17:10:06 +0100, "Adrian" <> Gave
    us:

    >Large Farva wrote:
    >> What's a VCR?

    >Look at a history site.

    His nym should be "large feces"

    TokaMundo, Aug 19, 2005
  15. The Man Behind The Curtain

    Mark Jones Guest

    http://www.crutchfield.com/

    Mark Jones, Aug 19, 2005
  16. Donald Link wrote:
    > Great attitude. Try to buy a technology that has gone by the wayside
    > and then wonder why the hell they do not make it anymore.

    Why is that a "great attitude"? I have 20 years worth of VHS tapes that
    I would still like to watch. What are you telling me, that I can't
    watch them anymore? That I have to buy a DVD recorder and burn them to
    DVD? What happens five years from now when the next technology comes
    out: transfer my 100+ DVDs to that new technology? That's the "bad
    attitude." It keeps businesses making money off retarded consumers who
    just keep lining up with their wallets open.

    > Can you
    > comprehend that the productin of VCRs are going the way of the film
    > cameras.

    Can you comprehend that you're a rude asshole? can you comprehend that
    some people have lives and don't want to convert their libraries to the
    format-of-the-month every few years?

    John

    The Man Behind The Curtain, Aug 19, 2005
  17. Donald Link <> wrote:

    > Try to buy a technology that has gone by the wayside
    >and then wonder why the hell they do not make it anymore.

    I'm glad I didn't ask you for advice on buying a turntable--which I just
    did, btw, a very nice one.

    The problem is the stores, which don't want to serve anyone except the
    lowest common denominator. You're going to have to shop online, like I did
    for my turntable. I suggest using froogle.google.com -- over 24,000 hits
    for VHS VCR, ranging in price from $40 to $5300.

    Kimba W. Lion, Aug 19, 2005
  18. Donald Link <> wrote:

    > Try to buy a technology that has gone by the wayside
    >and then wonder why the hell they do not make it anymore.

    I'm glad I didn't ask you for advice on buying a turntable--which I just
    did, btw, a very nice one.

    The problem is the stores, which don't want to serve anyone except the
    lowest common denominator. The best thing to do is to shop online, like I

    Kimba W. Lion, Aug 19, 2005
  19. Kimba W. Lion wrote:
    > Donald Link <> wrote:
    >

    >>Try to buy a technology that has gone by the wayside
    >>and then wonder why the hell they do not make it anymore.

    > I'm glad I didn't ask you for advice on buying a turntable--which I just
    > did, btw, a very nice one.

    Yeah, really. I just love the mentality--oh, they don't make that
    anymore, so let's just throw everything we have away and buy it in new
    format, even as they're telling us they won't be making this in five
    years either. No consumer left behind.

    What about those of us who have material that has not been put on DVD,
    or hasn't been put on DVD in region 1? (This whole region crap just
    hurts DVD sales in my opinion; it prevents me from buying things I
    want!) --Oh, burn the tape to DVD yourself. But what about the
    packaging, the booklets, photographs, etc? What if we don't want BOTH
    DVD copies and VHS copies cluttering our already-limited shelf space?
    What if we don't want to pay the cost of buying a DVDR just so we can
    have what we should be able to have access to in the first place?

    Just because DVDs are now the thing, that should not invalidate 20+
    years' worth of VHS.

    John

    The Man Behind The Curtain, Aug 19, 2005
  20. Kimba W. Lion wrote:
    > Donald Link <> wrote:

    > The problem is the stores, which don't want to serve anyone except the
    > lowest common denominator. The best thing to do is to shop online, like I
    > did for my turntable. I suggest using froogle.google.com -- over 24,000
    > hits for VHS VCR, ranging in price from $40 to $5300.

    Thanks. I'll give that a try!

    John

    The Man Behind The Curtain, Aug 19, 2005