What has happened to this group?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by divoch, Dec 12, 2009.

  1. divoch

    divoch Guest

    It is many months I last posted here but I cannot recognize the group. There
    is so much spam rubbish posted now.
    divoch
    divoch, Dec 12, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. divoch

    Dave Higton Guest

    In message <fWTUm.34340$2>
    "divoch" <> wrote:

    > It is many months I last posted here but I cannot recognize the group.
    > There is so much spam rubbish posted now


    Get yourself a good news service. Hint: it may not be free of
    charge.

    I use news.individual.de and it's rare for me to see spam here.

    Dave
    Dave Higton, Dec 12, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. divoch

    Graham. Guest

    "divoch" <> wrote in message news:fWTUm.34340$2...
    > It is many months I last posted here but I cannot recognize the group. There is so much spam rubbish posted now.
    > divoch


    I can see about 5 such posts since the beginning of the month, if you are seeing considerably
    more I suggest you change your newsserver for one with better filters.
    Mind you, the number of legitimate posts has been low recently, consequently the signal
    to noise ratio looks bad.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Dec 12, 2009
    #3
  4. divoch

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 23:32:24 +0000, Graham. wrote:

    > "divoch" <> wrote in message
    > news:fWTUm.34340$2...
    >> It is many months I last posted here but I cannot recognize the group.
    >> There is so much spam rubbish posted now. divoch

    >
    > I can see about 5 such posts since the beginning of the month, if you
    > are seeing considerably more I suggest you change your newsserver for
    > one with better filters. Mind you, the number of legitimate posts has
    > been low recently, consequently the signal to noise ratio looks bad.

    I agree that this group has changed. I think that the spam has driven
    some people away. Some of the regulars, who were the bedrock of this
    group, are rarely seen now - very sad! It might be that some people come
    here for the first time, and see all the rubbish, so they don't take the
    group seriously and just go away. I use filters in my News Client. I use
    'Pan' on Ubuntu Linux. So, look around for a News client that has good
    filters.
    Having said all that I think that these spammers are a b****y nuisance.
    It is like having a new carpet and then these people come in and ruin it
    with their muddy boots. I really hate them but what can you do?
    Something needs to be done about spam in general, on the Net, it is a
    massive waste of data. It slows the Net down and is bad for everyone.






    --
    Please remove 'no_spam_' from email address
    Brian A, Dec 13, 2009
    #4
  5. divoch

    Ivor Jones Guest

    On 13/12/09 21:20, Brian A wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 23:32:24 +0000, Graham. wrote:
    >
    >> "divoch"<> wrote in message
    >> news:fWTUm.34340$2...
    >>> It is many months I last posted here but I cannot recognize the group.
    >>> There is so much spam rubbish posted now. divoch

    >>
    >> I can see about 5 such posts since the beginning of the month, if you
    >> are seeing considerably more I suggest you change your newsserver for
    >> one with better filters. Mind you, the number of legitimate posts has
    >> been low recently, consequently the signal to noise ratio looks bad.

    > I agree that this group has changed. I think that the spam has driven
    > some people away. Some of the regulars, who were the bedrock of this
    > group, are rarely seen now - very sad! It might be that some people come
    > here for the first time, and see all the rubbish, so they don't take the
    > group seriously and just go away. I use filters in my News Client. I use
    > 'Pan' on Ubuntu Linux. So, look around for a News client that has good
    > filters.
    > Having said all that I think that these spammers are a b****y nuisance.
    > It is like having a new carpet and then these people come in and ruin it
    > with their muddy boots. I really hate them but what can you do?
    > Something needs to be done about spam in general, on the Net, it is a
    > massive waste of data. It slows the Net down and is bad for everyone.


    I'm still here (it was me who started the group, for those with long
    enough memories :D) but I find there doesn't seem to be a lot to say
    these days.

    Still, at least we seem to have lost Ron Chew (although he's still
    around on uk.transport.buses amongst other places :-( )

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 14, 2009
    #5
  6. divoch

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    divoch wrote:
    > It is many months I last posted here but I cannot recognize the group.
    > There is so much spam rubbish posted now.


    Is there?

    I think you need to get a new provider and/or investigate usenet spam
    filtering.
    Desk Rabbit, Dec 14, 2009
    #6
  7. divoch

    divoch Guest

    "Desk Rabbit" <> wrote in message
    news:hg51rc$c32$...
    > divoch wrote:
    >> It is many months I last posted here but I cannot recognize the group.
    >> There is so much spam rubbish posted now.

    >
    > Is there?


    Yes.

    > I think you need to get a new provider and/or investigate usenet spam
    > filtering.


    My provider, ntl , now virginmedia, has not changed. Maybe I need to do
    something about filtering but only because there is that much more spam.
    Maybe I shall not bother because, as Ivor pointed out, there is probably not
    that much new and relevant to say.

    divoch
    divoch, Dec 14, 2009
    #7
  8. divoch

    Mike Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:

    > Still, at least we seem to have lost Ron Chew


    Maybe that's the problem Ivor? Hey Ron ..... :)
    Mike, Dec 14, 2009
    #8
  9. divoch

    Ivor Jones Guest

    On 14/12/09 23:38, Mike wrote:
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Still, at least we seem to have lost Ron Chew

    >
    > Maybe that's the problem Ivor? Hey Ron ..... :)
    >


    Oh no, don't encourage him..! :p

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 15, 2009
    #9
  10. divoch

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 14/12/2009 20:45, divoch wrote:
    >
    > "Desk Rabbit" <> wrote in message
    > news:hg51rc$c32$...
    >> divoch wrote:
    >>> It is many months I last posted here but I cannot recognize the
    >>> group. There is so much spam rubbish posted now.

    >>
    >> Is there?

    >
    > Yes.


    That's because your news provider is doing nothing about it.


    >> I think you need to get a new provider and/or investigate usenet spam
    >> filtering.

    >
    > My provider, ntl , now virginmedia, has not changed.


    Indeed, they were crap before and still are.
    Desk Rabbit, Dec 18, 2009
    #10
  11. divoch

    James Guest

    On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 12:10:17 +0000, Desk Rabbit <>
    wrote:

    >On 14/12/2009 20:45, divoch wrote:
    >>
    >> "Desk Rabbit" <> wrote in message
    >> news:hg51rc$c32$...
    >>> divoch wrote:
    >>>> It is many months I last posted here but I cannot recognize the
    >>>> group. There is so much spam rubbish posted now.
    >>>
    >>> Is there?

    >>
    >> Yes.

    >
    >That's because your news provider is doing nothing about it.
    >
    >
    >>> I think you need to get a new provider and/or investigate usenet spam
    >>> filtering.

    >>
    >> My provider, ntl , now virginmedia, has not changed.

    >
    >Indeed, they were crap before and still are.

    Indeed Virginmedia are only good at collecting their monthly
    subscriptions the whole of the rest of what they provide are like you
    say CRA including their staff ((.
    James , Dec 18, 2009
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Linda Leverno

    Wot has happened to FireBird

    Linda Leverno, Jul 10, 2004, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    602
    Moz Champion
    Jul 10, 2004
  2. Chris Williams

    WHAT ON EARTH HAS HAPPENED??

    Chris Williams, Jul 20, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    19
    Views:
    732
    Brian H¹©
    Jul 23, 2003
  3. Unk
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    490
  4. Rachael the Wiccan Rat

    Camera theft - has it happened to you ?

    Rachael the Wiccan Rat, Jul 19, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    30
    Views:
    1,073
    Paul L. Madarasz
    Aug 25, 2003
  5. Jan Nademlejnsky

    What happened to this group?

    Jan Nademlejnsky, Jun 9, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    561
    Bill R
    Jun 10, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page