What has gone wrong at Fuji?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MG, Feb 17, 2012.

  1. MG

    MG Guest

    Fuji's flagship cameras are taking a real knock by reviewers.

    Fujifilm X100: Look at this list of faults:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/FujifilmX100/page27.asp

    Fujifilm X10: Reviews like this:
    http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=4467

    Or this one:
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fuji/x10-review
    where the Conclusion has this to say:
    "That brings us to photo quality, which is the area in which the X10 needs
    the most improvement. On the positive side, exposure is usually accurate,
    colors are saturated, and purple fringing levels are low. Redeye is
    well-controlled, but only if the camera detects a face in the scene and uses
    its digital removal system. Images are a little bit soft for my taste,
    though that's easy enough to fix. The camera's biggest problems are jaggies,
    highlight clipping, and the occasional white disc/orb. Highlight clipping is
    shockingly bad for a camera in this price range, though if you're willing to
    increase the ISO sensitivity and use the DR correction feature, it becomes
    much more manageable. The white disc issue won't appear often, but when it
    does, you'll certainly notice. My view is that this is due to a flaw in the
    sensor design, and that it will not be fixed. The last few Fuji compacts I
    tested had some questionable quality control, and with the X10 I'm starting
    to wonder what's going on over in Japan. As I mentioned earlier, for those
    of you set on the X10, make sure you buy it from a store with a nice return
    policy, in case the white orbs (or highlight clipping) becomes unbearable."

    The X S1 has the same sensor as the X10, so similar problems can be
    expected.

    Those are their flagship cameras. What about their cheaper line:

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S4000/S4000A.HTM
    which has this to say:
    "But when we accidentally come across a camera that's too bad to review, we
    still feel like we should let you know. The Fujifilm S4000 is one such
    camera, whose images are so bad we had to just hit the gong and stop testing
    altogether."

    or this one:
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/TRAVELZOOM/TRAVELZOOMA6.HTM
    (scroll down to the #6 Fuji F550EXR)
    "Sadly, the Fujifilm F550 doesn't just lose by comparison to the others,
    it's really not worthy of consideration thanks to the very poor lens
    quality"

    Would you consider buying a Fuji camera. I won't.

    --
    MG
    MG, Feb 17, 2012

  2. MG

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 17/02/2012 12:03, MG wrote:
    > Fuji's flagship cameras are taking a real knock by reviewers.
    >
    > Fujifilm X100: Look at this list of faults:
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/FujifilmX100/page27.asp
    >

    > Fujifilm X10: Reviews like this:
    > http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=4467
    >
    > Or this one:
    > http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fuji/x10-review
    > where the Conclusion has this to say:
    > "That brings us to photo quality, which is the area in which the X10 needs
    > the most improvement. On the positive side, exposure is usually accurate,
    > colors are saturated, and purple fringing levels are low. Redeye is
    > well-controlled, but only if the camera detects a face in the scene and uses
    > its digital removal system. Images are a little bit soft for my taste,
    > though that's easy enough to fix. The camera's biggest problems are jaggies,
    > highlight clipping, and the occasional white disc/orb. Highlight clipping is
    > shockingly bad for a camera in this price range, though if you're willing to
    > increase the ISO sensitivity and use the DR correction feature, it becomes
    > much more manageable. The white disc issue won't appear often, but when it
    > does, you'll certainly notice. My view is that this is due to a flaw in the
    > sensor design, and that it will not be fixed. The last few Fuji compacts I
    > tested had some questionable quality control, and with the X10 I'm starting
    > to wonder what's going on over in Japan. As I mentioned earlier, for those
    > of you set on the X10, make sure you buy it from a store with a nice return
    > policy, in case the white orbs (or highlight clipping) becomes unbearable."

    The white orbs are almost certainly dust in the air illuminated by the
    powerful but almost point like on camera flash. I get exactly the same
    problem with my Ixus 100is using the on camera flash at Ceilidhs and
    other situations where there is dust in the air. Uncorrected red eye
    doesn't bother me that much - it can be retouched if needed afterwards.
    In fact I prefer that the camera does not try to molest my images.

    And you have to be careful about the objectivity of reviews. One man's
    highlight clipping is anothers excellent detail in the shadows (very
    often scenes contain specular highlights that are not important). White
    wedding dresses are the obvious counterexample where you are completely
    and utterly stuffed if the camera burns out the highlights.

    I wouldn't buy a Fuji camera now, but that is because I already have a
    significant investment in other makers kit.

    --
    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Feb 17, 2012

  3. MG

    MG Guest

    "Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On 17/02/2012 12:03, MG wrote:
    >> Fuji's flagship cameras are taking a real knock by reviewers.
    >>
    >> Fujifilm X100: Look at this list of faults:
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/FujifilmX100/page27.asp
    >>

    >> Fujifilm X10: Reviews like this:
    >> http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=4467
    >>
    >> Or this one:
    >> http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fuji/x10-review
    >> where the Conclusion has this to say:
    >> "That brings us to photo quality, which is the area in which the X10
    >> needs
    >> the most improvement. On the positive side, exposure is usually accurate,
    >> colors are saturated, and purple fringing levels are low. Redeye is
    >> well-controlled, but only if the camera detects a face in the scene and
    >> uses
    >> its digital removal system. Images are a little bit soft for my taste,
    >> though that's easy enough to fix. The camera's biggest problems are
    >> jaggies,
    >> highlight clipping, and the occasional white disc/orb. Highlight clipping
    >> is
    >> shockingly bad for a camera in this price range, though if you're willing
    >> increase the ISO sensitivity and use the DR correction feature, it
    >> becomes
    >> much more manageable. The white disc issue won't appear often, but when
    >> it
    >> does, you'll certainly notice. My view is that this is due to a flaw in
    >> the
    >> sensor design, and that it will not be fixed. The last few Fuji compacts
    >> tested had some questionable quality control, and with the X10 I'm
    >> starting
    >> to wonder what's going on over in Japan. As I mentioned earlier, for
    >> those
    >> of you set on the X10, make sure you buy it from a store with a nice
    >> return
    >> policy, in case the white orbs (or highlight clipping) becomes
    >> unbearable."

    > The white orbs are almost certainly dust in the air illuminated by the
    > powerful but almost point like on camera flash.

    No. White orbs are there even when no flash is used. Fuji promised a
    firmware fix for the white orbs. But that didn't improve matters at all. It
    is almost certainly a sensor problem that Fuji can't fix.

    > And you have to be careful about the objectivity of reviews. One man's
    > highlight clipping is anothers excellent detail in the shadows

    Fuji's high light clipping is worse than other cameras in a similar class.

    --
    MG
    MG, Feb 17, 2012
  4. MG

    RichA Guest

    On Feb 17, 7:26 am, Martin Brown <|||>
    wrote:

    > The white orbs are almost certainly dust in the air illuminated by the
    > powerful but almost point like on camera flash. I get exactly the same
    > problem with my Ixus 100is using the on camera flash at Ceilidhs and
    > other situations where there is dust in the air. Uncorrected red eye
    > doesn't bother me that much - it can be retouched if needed afterwards.
    > In fact I prefer that the camera does not try to molest my images.
    >
    > And you have to be careful about the objectivity of reviews. One man's
    > highlight clipping is anothers excellent detail in the shadows (very
    > often scenes contain specular highlights that are not important). White
    > wedding dresses are the obvious counterexample where you are completely
    > and utterly stuffed if the camera burns out the highlights.
    >
    > I wouldn't buy a Fuji camera now, but that is because I already have a
    > significant investment in other makers kit.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Martin Brown

    You REALLY have to get a hold of one of them and try it. Because you
    cannot possibly be excusing that fault. The flaw is HORRIBLY
    obtrusive and distracting and UNFIXABLE!
    RichA, Feb 17, 2012
  5. MG <> wrote:
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    Do you have permission from Anything.com Ltd. on the on
    the Caymans to use their domain? No? Thought so.

    > "Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

    >> And you have to be careful about the objectivity of reviews. One man's
    >> highlight clipping is anothers excellent detail in the shadows

    > Fuji's high light clipping is worse than other cameras in a similar class.

    So Fuji's detail in the shadows is better than other cameras
    in a similar class?

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Feb 23, 2012