What has fastest 3D? PCI GF2 MX, or inbuilt S3 Savage4.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris Wilkinson, Nov 26, 2003.

  1. Hi there,

    My PC has two graphics options...

    1. A 32MB PCI GeForce2/MX-200...
    2. An integrated S3 Savage4 in a VIA VT8364A Northbridge chip
    that can use up-to 64MB of system RAM for video...

    Since I run Linux, and there is no Windows at all on my system,
    there is no 3D hardware support for the Savage4 chip (S3 never
    released development specs for the chip until recently, but its
    now a legacy device so 3rd party drivers are not that likely).
    Of course nVidia write very good Detonator driver for Linux, so
    the GF2 gets a good test almost daily (UT being my pick!)

    If I installed Windows I'd be curious as to which chip would
    give the fastest 3D. I'd plump for the GF2 (I've already seen
    the level of 3D I'd also expect under Windows), but since the
    Savage4 is on a 'virtual AGP 4x bus' or some shit I'm curious
    whether it would better the PCI GeForce2...

    Has anyone experienced what the Savage4 is like in 3D from an
    integrated mobo?

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Nov 26, 2003

  2. Chris Wilkinson

    T.N.O. Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Has anyone experienced what the Savage4 is like in 3D from an
    > integrated mobo?

    In my experience, the Savage used to 'win' in benchmarks marginally, but
    it used to look ugly, so the GF2MX would be my choice.

    T.N.O., Nov 26, 2003

  3. On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 18:13:01 +1300, Chris Wilkinson
    <> wrote:

    >Has anyone experienced what the Savage4 is like in 3D from an
    >integrated mobo?

    Nowhere near as good as a GeForce2 MX, and the screen quality is not
    as good either.

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, Nov 26, 2003
  4. On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:04:20 +1300, "Kristofer Clayton" <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 18:13:01 +1300, Chris Wilkinson
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Has anyone experienced what the Savage4 is like in 3D from an
    >>integrated mobo?

    >Nowhere near as good as a GeForce2 MX, and the screen quality is not
    >as good either.

    Intergrated MoBo's are no good for games Full stop..

    Gregory Parker, Nov 26, 2003
  5. Chris Wilkinson

    Fran Guest

    Gregory Parker wrote:

    > On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:04:20 +1300, "Kristofer Clayton" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 18:13:01 +1300, Chris Wilkinson
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Has anyone experienced what the Savage4 is like in 3D from an
    >>>integrated mobo?

    >>Nowhere near as good as a GeForce2 MX, and the screen quality is not
    >>as good either.

    > Intergrated MoBo's are no good for games Full stop..

    Except for the ones that are.

    Obviously for differing values of "good".

    Fran
    :):):)

    Fran, Nov 26, 2003
  6. Hi there,

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone experienced what the Savage4 is like in 3D from an
    >> integrated mobo?

    > In my experience, the Savage used to 'win' in benchmarks marginally, but
    > it used to look ugly, so the GF2MX would be my choice.

    I would kinda expect so. Still I'm probably gonna give my PC to my
    father, who isn't really a gamer, so I can upgrade to a newer mobo
    and an FX5600/Ultra. I'd probably fob off the GF2 since the Savage4
    is fine for what he wants to do (MIDI, DVD-authoring)...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Nov 27, 2003
  7. Chris Wilkinson

    Brendan Guest

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 17:28:20 +1300, Chris Wilkinson
    <> wrote:

    >I would kinda expect so. Still I'm probably gonna give my PC to my
    >father, who isn't really a gamer, so I can upgrade to a newer mobo
    >and an FX5600/Ultra. I'd probably fob off the GF2 since the Savage4
    >is fine for what he wants to do (MIDI, DVD-authoring)...

    Expect to have driver issues with the s3.

    --

    ....Brendan

    Under capitalism, man exploits man.
    Under communism, it's just the opposite.
    J.K.Galbraith

    Note: All comments are copyright 2003, and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always 'to the best of my reccollection'.

    Brendan, Nov 28, 2003
  8. Hi there,

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 17:28:20 +1300, Chris Wilkinson
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>I would kinda expect so. Still I'm probably gonna give my PC to my
    >>father, who isn't really a gamer, so I can upgrade to a newer mobo
    >>and an FX5600/Ultra. I'd probably fob off the GF2 since the Savage4
    >>is fine for what he wants to do (MIDI, DVD-authoring)...

    > Expect to have driver issues with the s3.

    What driver issues? I've got the Windows drivers for all flavours
    from 95 thru to XP on a bundled CD. Mandrake Linux 9.0 also has a
    driver which works flawlessly for 2D (no 3D support, 3D falls back
    to software rendering).

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Nov 28, 2003
  9. Chris Wilkinson

    Brendan Guest

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 17:04:14 +1300, Chris Wilkinson
    <> wrote:

    >>>I would kinda expect so. Still I'm probably gonna give my PC to my
    >>>father, who isn't really a gamer, so I can upgrade to a newer mobo
    >>>and an FX5600/Ultra. I'd probably fob off the GF2 since the Savage4
    >>>is fine for what he wants to do (MIDI, DVD-authoring)...

    >> Expect to have driver issues with the s3.

    >What driver issues? I've got the Windows drivers for all flavours
    >from 95 thru to XP on a bundled CD. Mandrake Linux 9.0 also has a
    >driver which works flawlessly for 2D (no 3D support, 3D falls back
    >to software rendering).

    3d is what I am talking about.

    And there are some bugs in them besides that in my experiance. s3's
    biggest downfall was their drivers.

    The gf2 would have better drivers.

    Brendan, Nov 29, 2003
  10. Hi there,

    Brendan wrote:

    >>>Expect to have driver issues with the s3.

    >>What driver issues? I've got the Windows drivers for all flavours

    >>from 95 thru to XP on a bundled CD. Mandrake Linux 9.0 also has a

    >>driver which works flawlessly for 2D (no 3D support, 3D falls back
    >>to software rendering).

    > 3d is what I am talking about.
    >
    > And there are some bugs in them besides that in my experiance. s3's
    > biggest downfall was their drivers.

    Yes. One would hope they could improve that when they (if they) start
    shipping the new Deltachrome cards...

    > The gf2 would have better drivers.

    Agreed. nVidia always have seemed to put a lot of effort into their
    driver support, even for minnows like me running linux! :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Nov 29, 2003