    Is there a wireless product, preferably one box, that will
    connect to the AP and to the wireless LAN?

    --David

    David Ellis, Dec 15, 2005

  2. You could connect the computers with 2 wireless adapters and retain the
    existing wireless/ICS arrangement:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.
    mspx

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Dec 16, 2005

  3. David Ellis

    David Ellis Guest

    Doug, I'm confused. Too new to understand. I followed a lot
    of the links to which the URL you supplied lead and cannot
    find anything that explains the hardware setup of interest.

    Do I understand correctly, from what you've said here, that
    I can have one wireless adapter in each computer and no
    additional wireless hardware is required at the host
    computer to "talk to" both the access point and the LAN?

    --David

    David Ellis, Dec 16, 2005
  4. No, you would need two wireless adapters in the ICS computer - ie. replace
    the regular wired LAN adapter with a wireless adapter; install a wireless
    adapter in the other computer as well; and set up an ad hoc network per the
    article. Instead of a second wireless card, you could connect the existing
    LAN adapter on the ICS machine to a wireless AP or a wireless router. If
    you use a router, you would have to turn off the usual default DHCP service
    provided by the router and connect your LAN adapter to a LAN or uplink port
    on the router. Prices for wireless routers are frequently cheaper than for
    access points.

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Dec 16, 2005
  5. David Ellis

    David Ellis Guest

    OK. I think I understand. I need four products. Let's assume
    one is a wireless router. In addition to that I need a
    wireless adapter that plugs into the router and talks to the
    access point. I need another wireless adapter that plugs
    into the router for the LAN and a third wireless adapter for
    the client on the LAN. Right?
    Thanks for hanging in here with this network neophyte.
    --D

    David Ellis, Dec 17, 2005
  6. No, if you are going to use the wireless router option, leave your "host"
    machine exactly as it is. Plug the host machine's ethernet cable into one
    of the router's LAN ports - exactly the way you do now with your switch
    (assuming you now use a switch). Install a wireless adapter in your second
    machine - this is the only new wireless adapter you need. The confusion is
    caused by the fact that with this configuration you will not be using the
    wireless router as a "router". It will act as a wired/wireless switch.

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Dec 20, 2005
  7. David Ellis

    David Ellis Guest

    Finally, I understand.