    3. networking card for the laptop.

    Before I spend all of that money, can someone confirm that's what I need?
    Also, any suggestions on brand to buy?

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iYmVl?=, Oct 13, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iYmVl?=

    Malke Guest

    Bobbee wrote:

    > I have a dell laptop that is wireless. So I have the wireless router
    > working
    > with it. I also have a dell desktop that is not wireless. I am
    > "assuming" that I need to purchase the following:
    >
    > 1. Wireless card for the desktop
    > 2. networking card for desktop
    > 3. networking card for the laptop.
    >
    > Before I spend all of that money, can someone confirm that's what I
    > need? Also, any suggestions on brand to buy?

    I'm not really sure why you think you'd need to purchase anything for
    the laptop. Modern laptops come with a built-in ethernet port and you
    say you have wireless already built in and the wireless router is
    working.

    For the desktop - if you want to connect it to the router with ethernet
    cable, you need a network adapter card and a length of cat5e ethernet
    cable. If you want the desktop to connect wirelessly, you need a
    wireless network adapter card (or usb wireless adapter). You didn't say
    what operating system the desktop is running. If it is an older machine
    running Win9x, make sure it meets the system requirements for the
    wireless adapter.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Oct 13, 2005

  3. I don't need a network card for both??

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iYmVl?=, Oct 13, 2005
  4. I am confused. Can I network without a network card?

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iYmVl?=, Oct 13, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iYmVl?=

    Tom Lake Guest

    "Bobbee" <> wrote in message
    >I am confused. Can I network without a network card?

    The laptop already has a wireless network card built-in. You don't need to
    purchase another one for it.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Oct 13, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iYmVl?=

    Michael T Guest

    The desktop should already have a NIC (network card), so you should be fine
    unless you want to connect the desktop via a wireless connection - which
    seems unlikely.

    Michael T, Oct 13, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iYmVl?=

    Malke Guest

    Tom Lake wrote:

    > "Bobbee" <> wrote in message
    >>I am confused. Can I network without a network card?

    > The laptop already has a wireless network card built-in. You don't
    > need to purchase another one for it.
    >
    > Tom Lake

    No, you cannot network without a network card. But you've told us you
    have a modern laptop which has built-in wireless and I'm sure also
    built-in ethernet. You haven't told us anything about your desktop. If
    it is fairly new, it probably has built-in ethernet. If it is old or
    doesn't have built-in ethernet, you'd need either a network card for
    wired or a network card for wireless. Here is a link to information
    about wireless/wired networking that may be helpful to you:

    Linksys Learning Center - http://tinyurl.com/8ka4w

    Of course you don't have to buy Linksys, but their Learning Center is
    quite well done.

    Malke

    Malke, Oct 13, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iYmVl?=

    N. Miller Guest

    On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:35:06 -0700, Bobbee wrote:

    > I am confused. Can I network without a network card?

    No, but...

    You already have a network adapter in the laptop computer. You already have
    a network connection between that and the wireless router.

    All that you lack is a network connection between the desktop and the
    router. The desktop may, or may not have a network adapter built in. You
    can check your Device Manager in System Properties for a network adapter.

    So, on your desktop computer, what items do you have listed in Device
    Manager? Locate the "My Computer" icon on your desktop; right click on it,
    select the Device Manager tab. Look through the list for "Network
    adapters", and expand the list. What devices are listed? One? More than
    one? What description is given for the devices?

    In my case I have the following:

    Dial-up Adapter
    HP EN1207D-TX PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter
    LapLink USB Network Cable

    Let us know what you have, and we can take it from there.

    --
    Norman
    ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

    N. Miller, Oct 13, 2005
  9. Thanks all! I am trying to connect the two computers wirelessly. My
    Desktop is a Dell 844 purchased in January this year. I checked the Device
    Manager on it and it says this:

    Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller

    Seems to make sense to connect wirelessly, but now I am questioning the
    intelligence in that. Ugh!

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iYmVl?=, Oct 14, 2005
  10. ooop...typo....my Dell is an 8400

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iYmVl?=, Oct 14, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iYmVl?=

    Michael T Guest

    "Bobbee" <> wrote in message

    > Seems to make sense to connect my desktop wirelessly, but now I am
    > questioning the
    > intelligence in that. Ugh!

    I just spent the last week setting up a home network. On my network is a
    Dell desktop (wired) and a Dell laptop (wireless). So I am almost as new to
    this as you are. But I do recall that someone posted that if you are
    considering file sharing you may experience faster file transfers if your
    desktop is wired instead of wireless.

    Michael T, Oct 14, 2005
  12. Thanks Michael. I am ok with one being wired and the other wireless. I just
    need to know what equipment to buy to make it happen.

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iYmVl?=, Oct 14, 2005
  13. Malke, somehow I missed your post! Thanks for that link. It looks like I
    need a usb adapter for my desktop. WAY cool!

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iYmVl?=, Oct 14, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iYmVl?=

    Quaoar Guest

    "Bobbee" <> wrote in message
    > Malke, somehow I missed your post! Thanks for that link. It looks
    > like I
    > need a usb adapter for my desktop. WAY cool!
    >
    > "Malke" wrote:
    >
    >> Tom Lake wrote:
    >>
    >> > "Bobbee" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > The laptop already has a wireless network card built-in. You don't
    >> > need to purchase another one for it.
    >> >
    >> > Tom Lake

    >> No, you cannot network without a network card. But you've told us you
    >> have a modern laptop which has built-in wireless and I'm sure also
    >> built-in ethernet. You haven't told us anything about your desktop.
    >> If
    >> it is fairly new, it probably has built-in ethernet. If it is old or
    >> doesn't have built-in ethernet, you'd need either a network card for
    >> wired or a network card for wireless. Here is a link to information
    >> about wireless/wired networking that may be helpful to you:
    >>
    >> Linksys Learning Center - http://tinyurl.com/8ka4w
    >>
    >> Of course you don't have to buy Linksys, but their Learning Center is
    >> quite well done.
    >>
    >> Malke
    >> --
    >> Elephant Boy Computers
    >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
    >> "Don't Panic!"
    >> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Wireless management is getting easier, but I still recommend that all
    those new to networking and to wireless, in particular, to have one
    computer with the ability to switch to a wired (Ethernet, cat5 cable)
    connection. It is very easy to lock oneself out of the wireless network
    entirely and a wired connection to the router will save your bacon.
    (What does that mean, anyway?)

    Quaoar, Oct 14, 2005