    hardwired into the broadband connection and does not need to be wireless, the
    only thing which will move around the house is the laptop. What is the
    minimum hardware I need to achieve this?
    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBH?=, Mar 5, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBH?=

    BobC Guest

    On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 08:21:02 -0800, John G wrote:

    > I current have a desktop running Windows Xp connected to a Sagem ASDL Modem
    > and a swift 2.3Mbps Broadband connection. I also have a laptop networked in
    > using the 1394 firewire port. Using Internet Connection Sharing, the two
    > machines piggyback on the broadband connection, no problems. What I want to
    > do is connect either a PCMIA or USB wireless transceiver into the laptop, a
    > similar device into the desktop and remove the cable connection.
    >
    > Is this possible without a router? The shifty looking assistant I questioned
    > in Currys say not, but I am not convinced. My desktop will always be
    > hardwired into the broadband connection and does not need to be wireless, the
    > only thing which will move around the house is the laptop. What is the
    > minimum hardware I need to achieve this?

    Connect a usb wireless access point to the desktop, a pcmcia wireless NIC
    to the laptop, put them in adhoc (adhoc in wireless is the same as NIC to
    NIC wired) mode and you are set.
    BobC, Mar 5, 2005

  3. "BobC" <> wrote in message
    | On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 08:21:02 -0800, John G wrote:
    |
    | > I current have a desktop running Windows Xp connected to a Sagem ASDL
    Modem
    | > and a swift 2.3Mbps Broadband connection. I also have a laptop
    networked in
    | > using the 1394 firewire port. Using Internet Connection Sharing, the
    two
    | > machines piggyback on the broadband connection, no problems. What I
    want to
    | > do is connect either a PCMIA or USB wireless transceiver into the
    laptop, a
    | > similar device into the desktop and remove the cable connection.
    | >
    | > Is this possible without a router? The shifty looking assistant I
    questioned
    | > in Currys say not, but I am not convinced. My desktop will always be
    | > hardwired into the broadband connection and does not need to be
    wireless, the
    | > only thing which will move around the house is the laptop. What is the
    | > minimum hardware I need to achieve this?
    |
    | Connect a usb wireless access point to the desktop, a pcmcia wireless NIC
    | to the laptop, put them in adhoc (adhoc in wireless is the same as NIC to
    | NIC wired) mode and you are set.

    BobC's answer is correct. I would however add that it might be worthwhile to
    look at the difference in price between a wireless access point and a
    wireless router. I think you will find that the difference is negligible.

    Personally I would go with the router. It would enable you to stop using ICS
    (which I've always found kludgey at best) taking the NAT load off the host
    computer. The Desktop would not need to be on for the laptop to have
    Internet access. The router (depending on model) would have SPI for added
    security for both computers. A router is far easier to configure and offers
    more options than Windows ICS. The router would have open wired ports
    available for possible future needs.

    Just my opinion.

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.
    HillBillyBuddhist, Mar 5, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBH?=

    BobC Guest

    On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 13:00:34 -0500, HillBillyBuddhist wrote:

    > "BobC" <> wrote in message
    >| On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 08:21:02 -0800, John G wrote:
    >|
    >|> I current have a desktop running Windows Xp connected to a Sagem ASDL
    > Modem
    >|> and a swift 2.3Mbps Broadband connection. I also have a laptop
    > networked in
    >|> using the 1394 firewire port. Using Internet Connection Sharing, the
    > two
    >|> machines piggyback on the broadband connection, no problems. What I
    > want to
    >|> do is connect either a PCMIA or USB wireless transceiver into the
    > laptop, a
    >|> similar device into the desktop and remove the cable connection.
    >|>
    >|> Is this possible without a router? The shifty looking assistant I
    > questioned
    >|> in Currys say not, but I am not convinced. My desktop will always be
    >|> hardwired into the broadband connection and does not need to be
    > wireless, the
    >|> only thing which will move around the house is the laptop. What is the
    >|> minimum hardware I need to achieve this?
    >|
    >| Connect a usb wireless access point to the desktop, a pcmcia wireless NIC
    >| to the laptop, put them in adhoc (adhoc in wireless is the same as NIC to
    >| NIC wired) mode and you are set.
    >
    > BobC's answer is correct. I would however add that it might be worthwhile to
    > look at the difference in price between a wireless access point and a
    > wireless router. I think you will find that the difference is negligible.
    >
    > Personally I would go with the router. It would enable you to stop using ICS
    > (which I've always found kludgey at best) taking the NAT load off the host
    > computer. The Desktop would not need to be on for the laptop to have
    > Internet access. The router (depending on model) would have SPI for added
    > security for both computers. A router is far easier to configure and offers
    > more options than Windows ICS. The router would have open wired ports
    > available for possible future needs.
    >
    > Just my opinion.

    I agree.
    BobC, Mar 5, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBH?=

    DLink Guru Guest

    Routers, on average, cost less then APs, so if money is a concern, just go
    the easier and cheaper way and buy the router. It will be less headache for
    you in the future.....

    Robert....

    DLink Guru, Mar 5, 2005
  6. Thanks for all the replies. I went for an adhoc network using a pcmia card
    and a cardbus adapter. Speed seeems to be okay when surfing ,but my
    connection is 2.3Mbps which is fairly nifty anyway. For now the router
    remains in the box, this is because my asdl modem has no ethernet connection
    so not sure how to connect it into the router, I believe that my ISP will
    also demand that I setup a new account if I connect both machines via a
    router instead of ICS.

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBH?=, Mar 18, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBH?=

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi
    Check the TOS, most ISPs would not object to a Router ( they just would not
    support your connection past the Router).
    You would need to buy a stand alone External Ethernet DSL Modem.
    Check this page there is an explanation about the issues involved as well as
    a source to get a Modem.
    DSL and Cable/DSL Routers - http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), Mar 18, 2005