    what? Doesn't sound like that's what happens since that would be
    completely silent, and it isn't. So does the shutter close, then
    open again for the Tv time, then close again, then open again?

    Peabody, Jun 1, 2011

  2. Peabody

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Peabody
    <> wrote:

    > In Live View, the mirror is up and shutter is open all the time.
    > So when you actually take a picture, what happens? Does the
    > shutter stay open and the picture is taken "electronically"? Or
    > what? Doesn't sound like that's what happens since that would be
    > completely silent, and it isn't. So does the shutter close, then
    > open again for the Tv time, then close again, then open again?

    canon has an electronic first curtain and physically closes the shutter
    when needed and then drops the mirror. it *is* silent up until the 2nd
    curtain and mirror drop. nikon cycles the mirror and goes through a
    normal cycle so it's a little noisier than normal, although i think
    they now avoid the mirror drop on the latest models so it's just the
    shutter.

    nospam, Jun 1, 2011

  3. Peabody

    Peabody Guest

    nospam says...

    > canon has an electronic first curtain and physically
    > closes the shutter when needed and then drops the
    > mirror.

    I'm having trouble with that. Does the electronic shutter
    mean the entire sensor is initially exposed at the same
    time? If so, closing the mechanical shutter to end the
    exposure would result in parts of the sensor being exposed
    for different periods of time.

    Peabody, Jun 2, 2011
  4. Peabody

    DanP Guest

    On Jun 2, 2:02 pm, Peabody <> wrote:
    > nospam says...
    >
    >  > canon has an electronic first curtain and physically
    >  > closes the shutter when needed and then drops the
    >  > mirror.
    >
    > I'm having trouble with that.  Does the electronic shutter
    > mean the entire sensor is initially exposed at the same
    > time?  If so, closing the mechanical shutter to end the
    > exposure would result in parts of the sensor being exposed
    > for different periods of time.

    I think the shutter is closed, sensor is electronically discharged,
    shutter opened for the exposure and shut again.
    Otherwise there will be a residual noise on the sensor.

    DanP

    DanP, Jun 2, 2011