What happens when I delete with Shift+Delete

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Sridhar Panatula, Sep 28, 2008.

  1. How to see the files which are deleted in this way

    Sridhar Panatula, Sep 28, 2008

  2. Those files are gone forever, short of spending large amounts of money to a
    forensic analyst. It is certainly possible to recover them. If you
    immediately shut down the computer and pay someone with data recovery skills
    substantial amounts to recover the file.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 29, 2008

  3. Sridhar Panatula

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Sridhar.

    Use that method of deleting files that you INTEND to be gone FOREVER.

    But, it erases only the pointers to the file, not the file itself. So there
    are two ways that you might recover the file. But do NOT continue to use
    that partition; anything you write there may overwrite the file that you
    want to have back, making recovery almost impossible.

    First, you could use a file recovery service, which is generally quite
    expensive.

    Second, you could use one of the several file recovery utilities available.
    They are generally not free, but affordable, and require some computer
    expertise on your part. One that has worked a few times for me (not
    recently) is R-Studio, which you can find at www.r-tt.com for under $100.

    Only YOU know how much time, expense and effort those files are worth to
    you.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Sep 29, 2008
  4. Thanks RC,
    That is wonderful explanation

    Now going onto my quest of recovering, what is the way I can find out what
    files are deleted.

    Is there any API call I can make or how to approach this problem. If I get
    starting pointer I would like to develop an open source utility for this

    Regards
    Sridhar

    Sridhar Panatula, Sep 30, 2008
  5. Sridhar Panatula

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Sridhar.

    I'm glad it helped. But I'm not a programmer, so somebody else will have to
    help with API questions. If you post back with your eventual solution it
    might help someone else with a similar problem.

    (And please use Reply to the Group, rather than Reply All, which sent me an
    email in addition to posting here.)

    Good luck.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Sep 30, 2008
  6. It's been a long time since I did any programming, but I would be surprised
    if the API contains the functionality to make this distinction. I am pretty
    sure, however, that creative scripting could do this.

    Studying MS TechNet, might be helpful?

    http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9522229

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 30, 2008
  7. On Sep 29, 1:31 am, "Sridhar Panatula" <> wrote:
    > How to see thefileswhich aredeletedin this way

    Files deleted using Shift+Delete combination can be recovered with
    Easy File Undelete software:

    http://www.munsoft.com/EasyFileUndelete/

    It uses unique modern algorithms to recover files that other software
    either recovers incorrectly or is unable to detect.

    Sergey Wasilenkow, Oct 6, 2008