    --
    Eric Babula
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

    Eric Babula, Apr 14, 2005

  2. "Eric Babula" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns9638ACD97C07Cebabulacare2com@66.192.254.230...
    > I've seen the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5 for sale on a bunch of sites,
    > right when the camera came out in the US (10 April, I believe). Prices
    > were even dropping already - down to $429.00 on butterflyphoto.com.
    >
    > Then, prices started going back up to the $499.99 price originally
    > listed. Now, less than a week later, no one seems to have it in stock
    > anymore! Even the Panasonic website says delivery date is expected to be
    > 30 May 2005!
    >
    > What happened? Anyone have any news? I didn't see anything about it on
    > the Panasonic website. Maybe I'll have to give them a call at their 800
    > number.

    Hmmm. Interesting. I ordered one and, of course, it is on back-order.
    Please post back if you learn more.

    Charles Schuler, Apr 14, 2005

  3. Eric Babula

    badsushi Guest

  4. On 14 Apr 2005 21:58:52 GMT, Eric Babula <>
    wrote:

    >I've seen the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5 for sale on a bunch of sites,
    >right when the camera came out in the US (10 April, I believe). Prices
    >were even dropping already - down to $429.00 on butterflyphoto.com.
    >
    >Then, prices started going back up to the $499.99 price originally
    >listed. Now, less than a week later, no one seems to have it in stock
    >anymore! Even the Panasonic website says delivery date is expected to be
    >30 May 2005!
    >
    >What happened? Anyone have any news? [...]

    Eric,

    they discovered a major flaw causing the camera to freeze up for
    good when certain objects are photographed. So they stopped
    production and are still working on the firmware. Buyers of the
    first batch will be offered a firmware upgrade in due time.

    Or a container ship loaded with a million FZ5 cameras was
    hijacked in the Malacca Strait, robbed and unloaded entirely.
    The cameras are still in pirate custody while the pirates are
    discussing for how much to sell them.

    Or a big American company that has nothing to do with cameras
    was just about to bring out a new product called FZ5. Their
    legal department immediately sued Panasonic in an American
    court, issued a cease and desist order, and now the lawyers are
    at it.

    Any more possibilities?

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Apr 15, 2005
  5. Hans-Georg Michna wrote:
    []
    > Any more possibilities?
    >
    > Hans-Georg

    It was too value for money, and they are all sold out now. The
    replacement will cost 50% more.

    David

    David J Taylor, Apr 15, 2005
  6. Eric Babula

    John Bean Guest

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:31:25 +0200, Hans-Georg Michna wrote:
    > they discovered a major flaw causing the camera to freeze up for
    > good when certain objects are photographed. So they stopped
    > production and are still working on the firmware.

    Hey, my KM A2 really did that with the original firmware!

    > Buyers of the first batch will be offered a firmware upgrade in due time.

    KM did that too :)

    --
    John Bean

    And malt does more than Milton can
    To justify God's ways to man (A. E. Housman)

    John Bean, Apr 15, 2005
  7. Eric Babula

    Renee Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    wrote in message news:6_M7e.12535$...
    > Hans-Georg Michna wrote:
    > []
    >> Any more possibilities?
    >>
    >> Hans-Georg

    > It was too value for money, and they are all sold out now. The
    > replacement will cost 50% more.
    >
    > David

    David, if you keep up these shameless daily plugs you're going to break
    George You-Know-Who's record . . .

    .. . . if you haven't already

    ;-)

    Renee, Apr 15, 2005
  8. Renee wrote:
    > "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
    > message news:6_M7e.12535$...
    >> Hans-Georg Michna wrote:
    >> []
    >>> Any more possibilities?
    >>>
    >>> Hans-Georg

    >> It was too value for money, and they are all sold out now. The
    >> replacement will cost 50% more.
    >>
    >> David
    >>

    > David, if you keep up these shameless daily plugs you're going to
    > break George You-Know-Who's record . . .
    >
    > . . . if you haven't already
    >
    > ;-)

    Well.....

    I make no claims about technical superiority, I don't rubbish other
    people's choices as they have different selection criteria, and I will
    also say that the Nikon 990, 5700 and 8400 are excellent cameras as well.
    I try to restrict my remarks to my own direct experience, as there seem to
    be a lot of folks who only have access to the review sites. If I had
    shares in the company it might be different!

    I hope you recognised the missing <G>.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Apr 15, 2005
  9. Eric Babula

    wrote in message news:bFO7e.12597$...
    > Renee wrote:
    >> David, if you keep up these shameless daily plugs you're going to
    >> break George You-Know-Who's record . . .
    >>
    >> . . . if you haven't already

    > Well.....

    <snippy snip snip>

    Two can play at that game . . . I'm taking back my <G>

    :p

    Renee, Apr 15, 2005
  10. Renee wrote:
    []
    > Two can play at that game . . . I'm taking back my <G>
    >
    > :p

    There must have been an element of truth, then!

    <G>

    David J Taylor, Apr 15, 2005
  11. Eric Babula

    Big Bill Guest

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:37:17 GMT, "Renee" <> wrote:

    >"David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    >wrote in message news:6_M7e.12535$...
    >> Hans-Georg Michna wrote:
    >> []
    >>> Any more possibilities?
    >>>
    >>> Hans-Georg

    >> It was too value for money, and they are all sold out now. The
    >> replacement will cost 50% more.
    >>
    >> David
    >>

    >David, if you keep up these shameless daily plugs you're going to break
    >George You-Know-Who's record . . .
    >
    >. . . if you haven't already
    >
    >;-)

    Not possible.