What happened to my @#$%^ desktop icons?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PRW, Dec 22, 2006.

  1. PRW

    PRW Guest

    When I left for work this afternoon, the desktop on my Dell computer,
    running Windows XP Media Center, everything updated as far as security
    stuff from Microsoft, was as it usually is, with all the icons for my
    various programs showing little art elements representing said
    programs.

    When I got in from work tonight, the icons are still there and they
    still work, but all of the little art elements are gone. In their place
    are a bunch of little blue and white windows, like dialog boxes, with
    arrows down in the left-hand corner.

    Can anyone tell me what might have gone wrong or defaulted here ... my
    wife and kids probably used the computer in my absence, the Lord only
    knows what somebody might have done to it, especially the kids ... and
    how I can get things back to the way they were on my desktop? FYI, I
    tried doing a System Restore to a point earlier in the day, and it did
    not fix the problem.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    PRW, Dec 22, 2006

  2. PRW

    PRW Guest

    Following up, the icons in my start menu have also been replaced by the
    same blue and white boxes.

    PRW, Dec 22, 2006

  3. PRW

    Guest

    "PRW" <> wrote:

    >Following up, the icons in my start menu have also been replaced by the
    >same blue and white boxes.

    Right click on a changed desktop icon, Properties, Change Icon
    See what program is listed at the top (path to the icon).
    Google the results.

    Most default windows icons come from
    WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll
    Other icons should link to the program the icon is associated with.

    --
    http://necromanthus.com/Games/ShockWave/

    , Dec 22, 2006
  4. PRW

    PRW Guest

    OK, I tried this and it fixed things. It didn't fix my desktop shortcut
    to IE, so I deleted that one and created another one. There was another
    program, Word Perfect 12, where for some reason "change icon" was
    grayed out so I deleted that shortcut and created another one.

    After I posted, I noticed that my start menu had also done the same
    thing as far as the icons. I was able to go in and manually fix those,
    all except for the standard "Internet: Internet Explorer" and "E-Mail:
    Outlook Express" icons. I figure I can delete those and manually create
    new ones, or will that cause a problem with XP?

    It appears this happened while No. 1 son, 12, was on the computer. He
    swears he did nothing but "get on the Internet," although that's highly
    unlikely given what happened.

    Do you or anyone else have any idea what might have happened here?
    Because while I was able to fix this problem, every time anything
    happens with my computer, I like to try to find out exactly what caused
    the issue so that I can prevent any repeats in the future.

    PRW, Dec 22, 2006
  5. PRW wrote:

    > It appears this happened while No. 1 son, 12, was on the computer. He
    > swears he did nothing but "get on the Internet," although that's
    > highly unlikely given what happened.

    Set up each member of your family with their own separate logins. Do not
    allow them to be Administrators.

    Then, when you leave the computer, log out.

    I'm assuming you have router, firewall ,anti-virus/anti-spyware
    applications?
    http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 22, 2006
  6. PRW

    PRW Guest

    Absolutely, am using NOD32 antivirus, Spybot and Ad-Aware, and Windows
    firewall.

    PRW, Dec 22, 2006
  7. "PRW" <> wrote in

    > When I left for work this afternoon, the desktop on my Dell computer,
    > running Windows XP Media Center, everything updated as far as security
    > stuff from Microsoft, was as it usually is, with all the icons for my
    > various programs showing little art elements representing said
    > programs.
    >
    > When I got in from work tonight, the icons are still there and they
    > still work, but all of the little art elements are gone. In their place
    > are a bunch of little blue and white windows, like dialog boxes, with
    > arrows down in the left-hand corner.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what might have gone wrong or defaulted here ... my
    > wife and kids probably used the computer in my absence, the Lord only
    > knows what somebody might have done to it, especially the kids ... and
    > how I can get things back to the way they were on my desktop? FYI, I
    > tried doing a System Restore to a point earlier in the day, and it did
    > not fix the problem.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.

    TweakUI has this dandy little tab called "Repair" that will fix
    broken system files and desktop icons.

    I like to use the v1.33, it has an older Win9x type interface.

    Here is some screenshots of it:

    http://www.snapfiles.com/screenshots/tweakui.htm

    Some peoples just have to have the newer v2.1, but it don't do
    certain things like the older one do. Here's a screenshot of
    the newer one:

    http://www.filehippo.com/screenshot/tweakui/6_3/

    I think a good movie would be about this guy
    who is a brain scientist, but he gets hit on the head
    and it damages exactly that part of the brain
    that makes you want to study the brain.
    So, everyday he wakes up to try to figure out
    what his life was all about before getting hit on the head.
    It could be a romantic comedy because when he wakes up
    with an ugly girl, he'd think he's being Punk'd by Ashton Kutcher.

    Bucky Breeder, Dec 22, 2006