    and Rebel that! Are they actually vaporware, or are people just not buying
    them?

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Oct 23, 2003

  2. Fred McKenzie

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Neither is actually on the market yet.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
    The Improved Links Pages are at
    "Fred McKenzie" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > A few weeks back there were glowing reviews posted on early copies of the
    > Olympus and Pentax DSLRs. By now they should be in the stores, but I

    don't see
    > any recent threads in rec.photo.digital about them. All I see is Canon

    this

    Tony Spadaro, Oct 23, 2003

  3. Fred McKenzie

    Todd Walker Guest

    Todd Walker, Oct 23, 2003
  4. In article <>,
    Todd Walker <> wrote:

    > In article <JgUlb.4491$>,
    > says...
    > > Neither is actually on the market yet.
    > >

    > The Pentax *istD is.

    So is the E-1
    Several people here have them.
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1022

    --
    Charlie Dilks
    Newark, DE USA

    Charlie Dilks, Oct 23, 2003
  5. Fred McKenzie

    Bob Niland Guest

    >> says...
    > Todd Walker <> wrote:

    >> Neither is actually on the market yet.

    > The Pentax *istD is.

    Steve's has a production *istD, and has
    been updating their preview review to a
    final all week.

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/istd.html

    My guess is that the *istD, in addition to
    having a revolting name that will inhibit
    market penetration, is priced way too high
    vs. the EOS-300D and DSC-F828, and will
    consequently sell in only modest numbers,
    primarily to people with large investments
    in K-mount AF lenses.

    --
    Regards, PO Box 248
    Bob Niland Enterprise

    Unless otherwise specifically stated, expressing
    personal opinions and NOT speaking for any
    employer, client or Internet Service Provider.

    Bob Niland, Oct 23, 2003
  6. Fred McKenzie

    Darrell Guest

    "Bob Niland" <> wrote in message
    > >> says...

    > > Todd Walker <> wrote:

    > >> Neither is actually on the market yet.

    > > The Pentax *istD is.

    > Steve's has a production *istD, and has
    > been updating their preview review to a
    > final all week.
    >
    > http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/istd.html
    >
    > My guess is that the *istD, in addition to
    > having a revolting name that will inhibit
    > market penetration, is priced way too high
    > vs. the EOS-300D and DSC-F828, and will
    > consequently sell in only modest numbers,
    > primarily to people with large investments
    > in K-mount AF lenses.

    The *ist D was designed to be priced the same as a Nikon D100 or Canon 10D,
    The 300D (Digital Rebel) is a smaller and lighter (which many will claim is
    less robust). I think Sony's product and pricing is the result of heavy Sake
    drinking within Sony's marketing staff. The Pentax prices has come down in
    Canada a touch, and is priced a bit lower than the 10D and D100.

    Darrell, Oct 24, 2003
  7. Fred McKenzie

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <58Zlb.259867$ko%.195048
    @news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>, says...
    > The *ist D was designed to be priced the same as a Nikon D100 or Canon 10D,
    > The 300D (Digital Rebel) is a smaller and lighter (which many will claim is
    > less robust).

    The 300D is larger and heavier than the istD. Or were you saying it's
    smaller and lighter than the D100 and 10D?

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Oct 24, 2003
  8. Fred McKenzie

    Ryan Guest

    "Tony Spadaro" <> wrote in message news:<JgUlb.4491$>...
    > Neither is actually on the market yet.

    The *ist D has been out for a month now; I have one. It's a very good
    camera. My only problem has been a hot pixel that Pentax is going to
    look at for me under the warranty. Other than that, it's brilliant.

    Ryan, Oct 24, 2003
  9. Fred McKenzie

    Darrell Guest

    "Todd Walker" <> wrote in message
    > In article <58Zlb.259867$ko%.195048
    > @news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>, says...
    > > The *ist D was designed to be priced the same as a Nikon D100 or Canon

    10D,
    > > The 300D (Digital Rebel) is a smaller and lighter (which many will claim

    is
    > > less robust).
    > >

    > The 300D is larger and heavier than the istD. Or were you saying it's
    > smaller and lighter than the D100 and 10D?

    That's what I was trying to say. Some relate weight to ruggedness! The
    Pentax offers more features than the Digital Rebel, but Nikon and Pentax may
    have to counter with a cheaper version, like a Digital N55 from Nikon for
    example.

    Darrell, Oct 24, 2003