    What Happened to Amazon?

    Their web site comes back with "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable"

    Are they still in business?
    SMS, Jun 6, 2008

  2. SMS

    SMS Guest

    Their Canadian site is still up, "http://www.amazon.ca/".
    SMS, Jun 6, 2008

  3. SMS

    just bob Guest

    Re: What Happened to Amazon? Their web site comes back with "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable"

    Seems to be working (now)
    just bob, Jun 6, 2008
  4. Re: What Happened to Amazon? Their web site comes back with "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable"

    BobW wrote:

    > "SMS" <> wrote in message
    >> What Happened to Amazon?
    >>
    >> Their web site comes back with "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable"
    >>
    >> Are they still in business?

    > I just got the same thing. Very odd.
    >
    > I used to work for a very large company ($4B/yr sales). One year, they
    > forgot to pay the fee to maintain their domain name. They nearly lost it.
    > Maybe that's what happened to Amazon.

    Their domain registration is paid up until 31-oct-2017.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Jun 7, 2008
  5. Re: What Happened to Amazon? Their web site comes back with "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable"

    The Bobert wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > "BobW" <> wrote:
    >

    >> Hmmm...I have a theory -- they have a bug in their software such that if
    >> someone orders the combination of a CD, two books, and a screwdriver
    >> then it takes down their website.
    >>
    >> Let me know what I've won.
    >>
    >> Bob

    > You get the No-Prize for the day.

    Can I have the booby prize? I like boobies.

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 7, 2008
  6. Re: What Happened to Amazon? Their web site comes back with "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable"

    BobW wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >> BobW wrote:
    >>

    >>> Hmmm...I have a theory -- they have a bug in their software such that
    >>> if someone orders the combination of a CD, two books, and a screwdriver
    >>> then it takes down their website.
    >>>
    >>> Let me know what I've won.
    >>>

    >> A dinner with Alexander Abian.
    >>
    >> In 1973 I had, for two days, the secret formula for crashing the ENTIRE
    >> INTERNET (Arpanet). It happened twice before the coders figured out what
    >> the bug was
    >> in their code. Such were the early days.
    >>
    >> Doug McDonald
    >>

    > Doug,
    >
    > Wow. You were active in networking during the Arpanet days? In 1973, I was
    > still trying to see how far I could pee.

    Once you get old enough, that will become important to you again. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 7, 2008
  7. SMS

    Gary Edstrom Guest

    Re: What Happened to Amazon? Their web site comes back with "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable"

    On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 17:06:11 -0700, "BobW"
    <> wrote:

    >Wow. You were active in networking during the Arpanet days? In 1973, I was
    >still trying to see how far I could pee.

    Let's see...In 1973 I was working in the secure communications center at
    Naval Air Station, Alameda, California. Worked on repairing
    cryptographic equipment and troubleshooting Navy's communications
    network on base whenever it went down. Those were the good old days!
    ASR33 teletypes pounding out hard copy at 60 words per minute. Keeping
    busy day and night. Good old punched paper tape with the 5-bit Baudot
    code for offline storage

    In 1974 I was worked in the communications center on Midway Island:
    http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway/Gary_Edstrom_2001/Buildings/Fortifications/Q0001107A.jpg
    (The above picture was taken during a return visit in 2001. The
    building had long-since been abandoned.)

    Gary
    Gary Edstrom, Jun 7, 2008
  8. SMS

    01dyna Guest

    Re: What Happened to Amazon? Their web site comes back with "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable"

    On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 18:20:19 -0700, Gary Edstrom
    <> you wrote:

    >On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 17:06:11 -0700, "BobW"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Wow. You were active in networking during the Arpanet days? In 1973, I was
    >>still trying to see how far I could pee.

    >Let's see...In 1973 I was working in the secure communications center at
    >Naval Air Station, Alameda, California. Worked on repairing
    >cryptographic equipment and troubleshooting Navy's communications
    >network on base whenever it went down. Those were the good old days!
    >ASR33 teletypes pounding out hard copy at 60 words per minute. Keeping
    >busy day and night. Good old punched paper tape with the 5-bit Baudot
    >code for offline storage
    >
    >In 1974 I was worked in the communications center on Midway Island:
    >http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway/Gary_Edstrom_2001/Buildings/Fortifications/Q0001107A.jpg
    >(The above picture was taken during a return visit in 2001. The
    >building had long-since been abandoned.)
    >
    >Gary

    Hey! I was a CT(T) back then. Ah the good ole days... the elephant
    cage, teletype and sonagrams...
    01dyna, Jun 7, 2008
  9. SMS

    m II Guest

    BobW wrote:

    > Hmmm...I have a theory -- they have a bug in their software such that if
    > someone orders the combination of a CD, two books, and a screwdriver then it
    > takes down their website.

    Oh..they're using Windows Vista?

    mike

    --
    Due to the insane amount of spam and garbage, this filter
    blocks all postings from Gmail, Google Mail and Google Groups.

    http://improve-usenet.org/
    m II, Jun 7, 2008
  10. Re: What Happened to Amazon? Their web site comes back with "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable"

    Paul Allen wrote:

    > On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 11:19:29 -0700, SMS wrote:
    >
    >> What Happened to Amazon?
    >>
    >> Their web site comes back with "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable"
    >>
    >> Are they still in business?

    > Wow. At 11:32am, Pacific Time, they're still offline. I wonder how many
    > billion dollars they lose for each minute they're down? Some poor Unix
    > admin's sweating right now. :-(

    A CNET estimate that was slashdotted today was "more than $31,000 per
    minute on average", based on its last reported quarterly revenues.

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 7, 2008
  11. SMS

    Gary Edstrom Guest

    On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 02:37:37 GMT, 01dyna <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 18:20:19 -0700, Gary Edstrom
    ><> you wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 17:06:11 -0700, "BobW"
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Wow. You were active in networking during the Arpanet days? In 1973, I was
    >>>still trying to see how far I could pee.

    >>Let's see...In 1973 I was working in the secure communications center at
    >>Naval Air Station, Alameda, California. Worked on repairing
    >>cryptographic equipment and troubleshooting Navy's communications
    >>network on base whenever it went down. Those were the good old days!
    >>ASR33 teletypes pounding out hard copy at 60 words per minute. Keeping
    >>busy day and night. Good old punched paper tape with the 5-bit Baudot
    >>code for offline storage
    >>
    >>In 1974 I was worked in the communications center on Midway Island:
    >>http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway/Gary_Edstrom_2001/Buildings/Fortifications/Q0001107A.jpg
    >>(The above picture was taken during a return visit in 2001. The
    >>building had long-since been abandoned.)
    >>
    >>Gary

    >Hey! I was a CT(T) back then. Ah the good ole days... the elephant
    >cage, teletype and sonagrams...

    Out on Midway Island, they saved all communications for 1 year from the
    date of transmission or reception. They were stored as both a hard
    copy, and a punched paper tape copy. That amounted to quite a bit of
    paper stacking up each day.

    One of the daily tasks was to take the year old papers to a small
    incinerator we had just behind the comm center. There with a witness,
    the papers were burned and a statement signed certifying that they had
    been destroyed.

    With those 60wpm teletypes, long messages could take quite a while to
    print out. Some of the flight plans for outbound pilots would take up
    to 45 minutes to print. We had 2 such teletypes, and during daytime
    hours, both were busy almost all of the time.

    Gary
    Gary Edstrom, Jun 7, 2008
  12. SMS

    Ray Fischer Guest

    <> wrote:
    >BobW wrote:
    >

    >> Hmmm...I have a theory -- they have a bug in their software such that if
    >> someone orders the combination of a CD, two books, and a screwdriver then it
    >> takes down their website.
    >>
    >> Let me know what I've won.
    >>

    >A dinner with Alexander Abian.
    >
    >In 1973 I had, for two days, the secret formula for crashing the ENTIRE
    >INTERNET (Arpanet). It happened twice before the coders figured out what the bug was
    >in their code. Such were the early days.

    And how many computers did that actually affect? 100?

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Jun 7, 2008
  13. SMS

    SMS Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Paul Allen wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 11:19:29 -0700, SMS wrote:
    >>
    >>> What Happened to Amazon?
    >>>
    >>> Their web site comes back with "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable"
    >>>
    >>> Are they still in business?

    >> Wow. At 11:32am, Pacific Time, they're still offline. I wonder how many
    >> billion dollars they lose for each minute they're down? Some poor Unix
    >> admin's sweating right now. :-(

    > A CNET estimate that was slashdotted today was "more than $31,000 per
    > minute on average", based on its last reported quarterly revenues.

    So all those people that would have placed orders immediately gave up
    and went to other vendor's web sites to place orders.
    SMS, Jun 7, 2008
  14. SMS

    01dyna Guest

    Re: What Happened to Amazon? Their web site comes back with "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable"

    On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 23:45:15 -0700, Gary Edstrom
    <> you wrote:

    <snip>

    >Out on Midway Island, they saved all communications for 1 year from the
    >date of transmission or reception. They were stored as both a hard
    >copy, and a punched paper tape copy. That amounted to quite a bit of
    >paper stacking up each day.
    >
    >One of the daily tasks was to take the year old papers to a small
    >incinerator we had just behind the comm center. There with a witness,
    >the papers were burned and a statement signed certifying that they had
    >been destroyed.
    >
    >With those 60wpm teletypes, long messages could take quite a while to
    >print out. Some of the flight plans for outbound pilots would take up
    >to 45 minutes to print. We had 2 such teletypes, and during daytime
    >hours, both were busy almost all of the time.
    >
    >Gary

    yep..we'd store them in burnbags and once a week we rotated duty
    to take them to the shredder out back. First we'd shred a couple
    hundred bags, and then the shreded material would be taken
    off-site and burned.

    That shredder would of been a very convienent way to get rid of
    undesirables. That honker was *huge* and we used 2 ft long planks
    of 2x4's to sharpen the blades.
    01dyna, Jun 7, 2008
  15. SMS

    Chris H Guest

    Re: What Happened to Amazon? Their web site comes back with "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable"

    In message <484a2f70$0$17164$>, Ray Fischer
    <> writes
    > <> wrote:
    >>BobW wrote:
    >>

    >>> Hmmm...I have a theory -- they have a bug in their software such that if
    >>> someone orders the combination of a CD, two books, and a screwdriver
    >>>then it
    >>> takes down their website.
    >>>
    >>> Let me know what I've won.
    >>>

    >>A dinner with Alexander Abian.
    >>
    >>In 1973 I had, for two days, the secret formula for crashing the ENTIRE
    >>INTERNET (Arpanet). It happened twice before the coders figured out
    >>what the bug was
    >>in their code. Such were the early days.

    >And how many computers did that actually affect? 100?

    Arpanet and the Internet are two different things. There ware may WAN
    networks around the works. All the Internet did was connect them.

    The good thing about the Internet, such as it was, in those days is that
    there was an entrance exam.

    You had to be at a Government/military establishment, a good university.
    a research organisation etc this generally meant the majority were
    University graduates and/or technically aware.

    Not any idiot can get on.

    Chris H, Jun 7, 2008
  16. SMS

    Chris H Guest

    Re: What Happened to Amazon? Their web site comes back with "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable"

    In message <>, Chris H
    <> writes
    >In message <484a2f70$0$17164$>, Ray Fischer
    ><> writes
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>A dinner with Alexander Abian.
    >>>
    >>>In 1973 I had, for two days, the secret formula for crashing the ENTIRE
    >>>INTERNET (Arpanet). It happened twice before the coders figured out
    >>>what the bug was
    >>>in their code. Such were the early days.

    >>And how many computers did that actually affect? 100?

    What I typed and what appeared are two different things :)

    >Arpanet and the Internet are two different things. There ware may WAN
    >networks around the works.

    world
    > All the Internet did was connect them.
    >
    >The good thing about the Internet, such as it was, in those days is
    >that there was an entrance exam.
    >
    >You had to be at a Government/military establishment, a good
    >university. a research organisation etc this generally meant the
    >majority were University graduates and/or technically aware.
    >
    >Not

    NOW
    > any idiot can get on.

    In

    Including me it seems:)))))
    Chris H, Jun 7, 2008
  17. Re: What Happened to Amazon? Their web site comes back with "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable"

    Shawn Hirn <> wrote:

    >Yes, and sadly, some of those idiots are in universities. I know because
    >I work in the IT department at at one of the largest universities in the
    >USA. We have people fall for every phishing scheme that comes down the
    >pike. Fortunately, the vast majority of my school's Internet users are
    >smart enough to ignore such things.

    It's been interesting to see the net evolve since the early days. Even when it
    was pretty much a university/government thing, initially access was restricted
    to CS400 and grad student types. Undergrads who could finagle a net connected
    machine password and email friends at other schools were few and far between.
    Those were the days when most 100 level CS classes required that you go to a
    central keypunch area, then turn in a card deck and hope for a response 24 hours
    later...
    Robert Neville, Jun 8, 2008