    Mike Henley Guest

    What genre of photography appeals to you the least, and why?
    - genre as in landscape, portrait... etc
    Mike Henley, Dec 2, 2004

  2. Mike Henley

    Mark² Guest

    "Mike Henley" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > What genre of photography appeals to you the least, and why?
    > - genre as in landscape, portrait... etc

    As the photog?
    ....or as a VIEWER?

    As a photog...that's easy: Wedding photography...because the process is so
    unpleasant IMO...which is why I'd never do it professionally or otherwise.

    As a viewer?

    Fashion.

    Supposedly "great fashion shots" come a dime a dozen, and half the time what
    you're looking at is so often been severely re-touched that it's a
    crap-shoot whether you're looking at reality.
    Mark², Dec 2, 2004

  3. Mike Henley

    John Guest

    > What genre of photography appeals to you the least, and why?
    > - genre as in landscape, portrait... etc

    Portrait (or just people in-general), because I'm not very good at it.
    OTOH, I absolutely love _looking_ at a good portrait, so it's an area I plan
    to explore over time - maybe someday, it will be my favorite!

    - John
    John, Dec 2, 2004
  4. Mike Henley

    dm Guest

    > What genre of photography appeals to you the least, and why?
    > - genre as in landscape, portrait... etc

    I have the most trouble shooting nude and fashion with really attractive
    models (they're not always attractive, sometimes they look quite boyish).
    I'm always worried about my zoom telephoto making an unscheduled appearance
    dm, Dec 2, 2004
  5. Mike Henley

    Dave Busch Guest

    On 1 Dec 2004 22:37:09 -0800, "Mike Henley" <>
    wrote:

    >What genre of photography appeals to you the least, and why?
    >- genre as in landscape, portrait... etc

    Self-portraiture

    -------------------------------------
    Everything I know, and then some:
    http://www.auctionmyths.com
    Dave Busch, Dec 2, 2004
  6. Mike Henley

    Stu Guest

    > What genre of photography appeals to you the least, and why?
    > - genre as in landscape, portrait... etc

    Looking at photo's of still ife such as a a vase with twigs in, just don't
    see the point.
    I like a photo that makes me think of what was happening at the time or
    where 'that' path leads etc

    Stu
    Stu, Dec 2, 2004
  7. Mike Henley

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Crime scene, dead bodies. It smells!

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Dec 2, 2004
  8. "Dave Busch" <moc.seimmud4latigid@eriafresal> wrote in message
    > On 1 Dec 2004 22:37:09 -0800, "Mike Henley" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >What genre of photography appeals to you the least, and why?
    > >- genre as in landscape, portrait... etc

    > Self-portraiture

    Nude self-portraiture. I like neither doing it...or looking at the results
    of other people who have done it.
    Gene Palmiter, Dec 2, 2004
  9. Mike Henley

    BG250 Guest

    I agree. I'd hate to get talked into doing a Wedding. I'd hate fashion/glam
    as well.

    Love scenic, nature/wildlife and travel.
    bg

    BG250, Dec 2, 2004
  10. Mike Henley

    Skip M Guest

    > "Mike Henley" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> What genre of photography appeals to you the least, and why?
    >> - genre as in landscape, portrait... etc

    > As the photog?
    > ...or as a VIEWER?
    >
    > As a photog...that's easy: Wedding photography...because the process is
    > so
    > unpleasant IMO...which is why I'd never do it professionally or otherwise.
    >
    > As a viewer?
    >
    > Fashion.
    >
    > Supposedly "great fashion shots" come a dime a dozen, and half the time
    > what
    > you're looking at is so often been severely re-touched that it's a
    > crap-shoot whether you're looking at reality.

    Just out of curiosity, what do you find unpleasant about the process of
    wedding photography?
    I dragged my feet for years about doing it, but now that we're doing it,
    we're having a blast with it.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Dec 2, 2004
  11. Mike Henley

    Skip M Guest

    "dm" <> wrote in message
    > "Mike Henley" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> What genre of photography appeals to you the least, and why?
    >> - genre as in landscape, portrait... etc

    > I have the most trouble shooting nude and fashion with really attractive
    > models (they're not always attractive, sometimes they look quite boyish).
    > I'm always worried about my zoom telephoto making an unscheduled
    > appearance

    Keep busy, and think of what you're doing, not what you'd like to be doing,
    and your "lens" will remain unzoomed.
    I've been shooting nudes for better than 10 years, and never had that
    happen. I'm too concerned about lighting, posing, extraneous bits showing,
    the odd wrinkle at her hips, keeping that tattoo from showing, or making
    sure that tattoo does show completely, that I don't really have time to
    think about her as a sexual being.

    Skip M, Dec 2, 2004
  12. Mike Henley

    Skip M Guest

    > On 1 Dec 2004 22:37:09 -0800, "Mike Henley" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>What genre of photography appeals to you the least, and why?
    >>- genre as in landscape, portrait... etc

    > Self-portraiture
    >
    > -------------------------------------
    > Everything I know, and then some:
    > http://www.auctionmyths.com

    I'm with you on that one!

    Skip M, Dec 2, 2004
  13. In article <>,
    Mike Henley <> wrote:

    > What genre of photography appeals to you the least, and why?
    > - genre as in landscape, portrait... etc

    Having built a career on portraiture, I'm somewhat partial. Now that
    I'm out of it as a business I've been concentrating on pictorials but
    still enjoy doing portraits.
    Randall Ainsworth, Dec 2, 2004
  14. "Skip M" <> wrote in message

    > > "Mike Henley" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> What genre of photography appeals to you the least, and why?
    > >> - genre as in landscape, portrait... etc

    > > As the photog?
    > > ...or as a VIEWER?
    > >
    > > As a photog...that's easy: Wedding photography...because the process is
    > > so
    > > unpleasant IMO...which is why I'd never do it professionally or

    otherwise.

    > > As a viewer?
    > >
    > > Fashion.
    > >
    > > Supposedly "great fashion shots" come a dime a dozen, and half the time
    > > what
    > > you're looking at is so often been severely re-touched that it's a
    > > crap-shoot whether you're looking at reality.
    > >

    > Just out of curiosity, what do you find unpleasant about the process of
    > wedding photography?
    > I dragged my feet for years about doing it, but now that we're doing it,
    > we're having a blast with it.

    As a working photojournalist and arts photographer I lurk and wait for
    something to happen. At a wedding you direct. Two different ways of working.
    I will do a few weddings a year as an extra camera. I make it clear that I
    am there for the candids and they need someone else for the formals.
    Gene Palmiter, Dec 2, 2004
  15. Mike Henley

    Jeremy Guest

    > What genre of photography appeals to you the least, and why?
    > - genre as in landscape, portrait... etc

    Cityscapes. Documentary photos.

    I have always been fascinated with a camera's ability to freeze a moment in
    time. For over 30 years I have been shooting scenes from my hometown, and
    from my current home in Philadelphia. It is amazing how things have
    changed, and I have the only photos of the way things used to
    look--especially when it comes to scenes from my home town, where there were
    really no other photographers recording those places.

    I typically shoot with a normal lens, on a tripod, using lens hood, and I
    try to record the scene exactly as it appeared in real life. No "posing,"
    no trying to embellish the view by shooting at "interesting angles," no
    attempt to remove litter on the sidewalks, no post-shoot color corrections
    or any sort of improvements to the view. Just real-life photos, designed to
    offer a glimpse of what things actually looked like, to future generations.

    There is no lack of subject matter for this kind of photography. You can
    start by photographing the homes on your block. In 5 years, the scene will
    have changed as people change their landscaping, house color, etc.

    Photograph ever house you lived in as a child. Photograph your old schools,
    churches, friends' homes, relatives' homes. As time passes, some of those
    places will change or be demolished, and those photos will be all that
    remain as memories.

    Photograph all your automobiles, prized possessions, pets, favorite
    hangouts. These things will all pass, and your photos will become all the
    more precious to you.

    I have submitted many photos to my high school alumni website for posting,
    and I constantly hear from people that now live great distances away from
    our home town, telling me how great it was to see the old sites once again.
    Some of our alumni live on other continents, and have not been home in
    decades. They are the ones that are particularly gratified to see my
    images.

    I became interested in this style of photography after seeing picture
    postcards of rather mundane scenes, that were sold in the first 3 decades of
    the 20th century. It was fascinating to see photos of places I was familiar
    with, but that looked different back then.

    Another inspiration was the series of books under the heading "Images of
    America," that featured old photos of places all across America, primarily
    in small towns--photos that no one even knew existed because their subject
    matter was so obscure. When I saw the book featuring my own home town, my
    eyes popped out! The images were not of the best quality, many of them
    having been taken by very old equipment, but it was amazing to see what my
    town looked like over a hundred years ago.

    The key to getting started in this style of photography is to try to think
    of the most mundane places--then go out and photograph them. Maybe it's the
    old cemetery at the edge of town--the one with the overgrown vegetation. Or
    maybe it is the abandoned industrial site (it WILL be demolished one day!).
    How about that little corner store, where you bought candy as a child? You
    think it will be there forever? Believe me, it won't. Or maybe the
    interior of your grandparents' home, if you still have access to it. One
    day, that place will be only a memory for you.

    Use a tripod and shoot at the lens' sweet spot (usually around f/8) for
    maximum resolution. Carefully document each photo with date, time, place,
    NAMES OF ANY PEOPLE IN PHOTO, any historical details, architectural details,
    etc. You will find that, one day, you will have quite a selection of rare
    historical photographs. Quite simply, no one else is doing this work, so
    your photos will be the only ones in existence, for good or ill.

    With digital photography, it is possible to accumulate many thousands of
    images and store them on CD or DVD, without the cost of buying film or
    printing each one.

    Happy snapping.
    Jeremy, Dec 2, 2004
  16. Mike Henley

    Mark² Guest

    "Skip M" <> wrote in message

    > > "Mike Henley" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> What genre of photography appeals to you the least, and why?
    > >> - genre as in landscape, portrait... etc

    > > As the photog?
    > > ...or as a VIEWER?
    > >
    > > As a photog...that's easy: Wedding photography...because the process is
    > > so
    > > unpleasant IMO...which is why I'd never do it professionally or

    otherwise.

    > > As a viewer?
    > >
    > > Fashion.
    > >
    > > Supposedly "great fashion shots" come a dime a dozen, and half the time
    > > what
    > > you're looking at is so often been severely re-touched that it's a
    > > crap-shoot whether you're looking at reality.
    > >

    > Just out of curiosity, what do you find unpleasant about the process of
    > wedding photography?
    > I dragged my feet for years about doing it, but now that we're doing it,
    > we're having a blast with it.

    All the stressed out people (bride/mom and etc)...the pressure of getting
    the perfect shots...the realization that they'll likely get divorced anyway
    <g>...and just the atmoshphere of stress that often comes with weddings.

    For some, I'm sure this is no prob, but it would drive me crazy/take the fun
    out of it for me.
    Mark², Dec 2, 2004
  17. Mike Henley

    Mark² Guest

    "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote in message

    > "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    > > "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Mike Henley" <> wrote in message

    > > > As the photog?
    > > > ...or as a VIEWER?
    > > >
    > > > As a photog...that's easy: Wedding photography...because the process

    is
    > > > so
    > > > unpleasant IMO...which is why I'd never do it professionally or

    > otherwise.
    > > >
    > > > As a viewer?
    > > >
    > > > Fashion.
    > > >
    > > > Supposedly "great fashion shots" come a dime a dozen, and half the

    time
    > > > what
    > > > you're looking at is so often been severely re-touched that it's a
    > > > crap-shoot whether you're looking at reality.
    > > >

    > > Just out of curiosity, what do you find unpleasant about the process of
    > > wedding photography?
    > > I dragged my feet for years about doing it, but now that we're doing it,
    > > we're having a blast with it.

    > As a working photojournalist and arts photographer I lurk and wait for
    > something to happen. At a wedding you direct. Two different ways of

    working.
    > I will do a few weddings a year as an extra camera. I make it clear that I
    > am there for the candids and they need someone else for the formals.

    Agree. I don't mind doing candids as an extra shooter either, and have done
    so many times.
    Mark², Dec 2, 2004
  18. Mike Henley

    bob Guest

    "Mike Henley" <> wrote in

    > What genre of photography appeals to you the least, and why?
    > - genre as in landscape, portrait... etc

    Least is the stuff that graces the covers in the grocery checkout.

    Most is probably architectural. It's a genre where the image is
    intentionally distorted in order to try to present a more accurate version
    of reality.

    Bob
    bob, Dec 2, 2004
  19. Mike Henley

    Frank ess Guest

    Jeremy wrote:
    > "Mike Henley" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> What genre of photography appeals to you the least, and why?
    >> - genre as in landscape, portrait... etc
    >>

    > Cityscapes. Documentary photos.

    Liked tat least, eh?

    I can't wait to see youir dissertation on something you like.

    (smiley face)

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Dec 2, 2004
  20. > "Mike Henley" <> wrote in message

    >> What genre of photography appeals to you the least, and why?
    >> - genre as in landscape, portrait... etc

    Amateur nudes and "glamour," oddly enough.

    Not because of prudery, but because we see very little original art or
    original subject matter in such things. What I've seen (far from
    exhaustive) all looks alike.
    Michael A. Covington, Dec 2, 2004