    for anything named. It's fine if anything mentioned is primarily
    cell
    phone - mobile phone related, but it doesn't have to be.
    Steve, Dec 4, 2008

  2. Steve

    caveat Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > What specific gadget/s (as in the brand and model) can't you
    > currently
    > (seriously or humorously) leave your home without and please say why,
    > for anything named. It's fine if anything mentioned is primarily
    > cell
    > phone - mobile phone related, but it doesn't have to be.

    In my life so far I have installed WANs (Cisco routers, microwave radios,
    work with T-1s T-3s and up to OC-48 and Fore/Marconi ATM switches - install
    hardware and do the programming), install and do M.A.C.s of PBXs (Nortel
    Option 81c, Opt. 11c, Callpilot, etc. - install and do the programming), ran
    a computer repair department (both PCs and APPLE Macs), repair TVs, VCRs and
    Pioneer Laser Disc units and worked in the prototype department of a LORAN-C
    manufacturer, worked in a plastics chemistry lab and designed assembly lines
    complete with the programming and installation of programmable controllers,
    plus other experiences. In college I studied such things as Psychology,
    mechanical engeniering, physics, ergonomics and human factors ( human -
    machine interactions ) and math. Thus, I am no stranger to High-Tech..

    My wife is a gadget person and has a blog, a facebook page, an iPhone, etc.
    and thinks I'm strange because I seldom even use a cell phone, I pay bills
    by checks through the mail, don't like to buy anything unless I have the
    cash for it (almost never use credit cards) and seldom watch TV or listen to
    the radio.

    After all that, I have to say that, though it may be ironic, I can't think
    of anything that I would feel bad about leaving at home.

    I would personally be happy if I could live a simple life, ride a horse or
    my mt bike to work and look forward to only having a good book and good
    dinner to come home to.

    As far as gadgets go, I can't think of anything since the late 1800's that I
    would feel bad about leaving at home.

    Sorry for cutting the number of NGs to four but my host sucks and limits it
    to 4 max..
    caveat, Dec 4, 2008

  3. Steve

    sandy58 Guest

    Re: What gadget/s can't you currently leave your home without and why?

    On Dec 4, 8:13 am, "caveat" <> wrote:
    > "Steve" <> wrote in message

    > > What specific gadget/s (as in the brand and model) can't you
    > > currently
    > > (seriously or humorously) leave your home without and please say why,
    > > for anything named.   It's fine if anything mentioned is primarily
    > > cell
    > > phone - mobile phone related, but it doesn't have to be.

    > In my life so far I have installed WANs (Cisco routers, microwave radios,
    > work with T-1s T-3s and up to OC-48 and Fore/Marconi ATM switches - install
    > hardware and do the programming), install and do M.A.C.s of  PBXs (Nortel
    > Option 81c, Opt. 11c, Callpilot, etc. - install and do the programming), ran
    > a computer repair department (both PCs and APPLE Macs), repair TVs, VCRs and
    > Pioneer Laser Disc units and worked in the prototype department of a LORAN-C
    > manufacturer, worked in a plastics chemistry lab and designed assembly lines
    > complete with the programming and installation of programmable controllers,
    > plus other experiences. In college I studied such things as Psychology,
    > mechanical engeniering, physics, ergonomics and human factors ( human -
    > machine interactions ) and math. Thus, I am no stranger to High-Tech..
    >
    > My wife is a gadget person and has a blog, a facebook page, an iPhone, etc.
    > and thinks I'm strange because I seldom even use a cell phone, I pay bills
    > by checks through the mail, don't like to buy anything unless I have the
    > cash for it (almost never use credit cards) and seldom watch TV or listen to
    > the radio.
    >
    > After all that, I have to say that, though it may be ironic, I can't think
    > of anything that I would feel bad about leaving at home.
    >
    > I would personally be happy if I could live a simple life, ride a horse or
    > my mt bike to work and look forward to only having a good book and good
    > dinner to come home to.
    >
    > As far as gadgets go, I can't think of anything since the late 1800's that I
    > would feel bad about leaving at home.
    >
    > Sorry for cutting the number of NGs to four but my host sucks and limits it
    > to 4 max..

    ..................and you dabble in rec.org.mensa too. What about a wee
    dictionary....to help you SPELL, gadget-head. Shocking! :)
    sandy58, Dec 4, 2008
  4. If you're looking for something that isn't obvious -- cell phone, navigator,
    jukebox, PDA, etc -- I can't think of any.

    I normally carry my cell phone -- for emergencies or long-distance calls, as
    it's normally turned off -- and my PDA, which stores a lot of useful and
    necessary information. But I wouldn't "die" if I left these or the other
    items at home.
    William Sommerwerck, Dec 4, 2008
  5. Steve

    K Ludger Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > What specific gadget/s (as in the brand and model) can't you
    > currently
    > (seriously or humorously) leave your home without and please say why,
    > for anything named. It's fine if anything mentioned is primarily
    > cell
    > phone - mobile phone related, but it doesn't have to be.

    Pacemaker & insulin pump.
    K Ludger, Dec 4, 2008
  6. In message news:08b5b8e3-74b3-4159-8c63-

    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411534932
    Father Guido Sarducci, Dec 4, 2008
  7. In article <gh8g87$rm1$>,
    "William Sommerwerck" <> wrote:

    > If you're looking for something that isn't obvious -- cell phone, navigator,
    > jukebox, PDA, etc -- I can't think of any.

    ummm....I can leave home without ALL of those things.
    Elmo P. Shagnasty, Dec 4, 2008
  8. Steve

    PanHandler Guest

    "caveat" <> wrote in message

    Hard to believe you could be a technophobe! :)
    PanHandler, Dec 4, 2008
  9. Steve

    PeterD Guest

    On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 20:49:35 -0800 (PST), Steve <>
    wrote:

    >What specific gadget/s (as in the brand and model) can't you
    >currently
    >(seriously or humorously) leave your home without and please say why,
    >for anything named. It's fine if anything mentioned is primarily
    >cell
    >phone - mobile phone related, but it doesn't have to be.

    The only thing that I absolutely must have are my pants. My wife says
    that were I to leave them home, the women would mob me, and the men
    would lynch me.

    Cell phone is the only thing. I don't have anythign else that I carry.
    I even leave my car keys in the car so I don't carry them either.
    PeterD, Dec 4, 2008
  10. > The only thing that I absolutely must have are my pants.
    > My wife says that were I to leave them home, the women
    > would mob me, and the men would lynch me.

    <Lynde>
    Oh? Would the noose be snug enough?
    </Lynde>
    William Sommerwerck, Dec 4, 2008
  11. In message news:, "Ron T." <not@home>
    said:

    > "Father Guido Sarducci" <> wrote in message
    >> In message news:08b5b8e3-74b3-4159-8c63-
    >> , Steve <>
    >> said:
    >>
    >>> What specific gadget/s (as in the brand and model) can't you
    >>> currently
    >>> (seriously or humorously) leave your home without and please say why,
    >>> for anything named. It's fine if anything mentioned is primarily
    >>> cell
    >>> phone - mobile phone related, but it doesn't have to be.

    >> https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411534
    >> 932

    > They make a shoulder holster for that?

    If you're Yao Ming.
    Father Guido Sarducci, Dec 4, 2008
  12. Steve

    PeterD Guest

    On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 11:40:46 -0500, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    <> wrote:

    >PeterD wrote:
    >> On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 20:49:35 -0800 (PST), Steve <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> What specific gadget/s (as in the brand and model) can't you
    >>> currently
    >>> (seriously or humorously) leave your home without and please say why,
    >>> for anything named. It's fine if anything mentioned is primarily
    >>> cell
    >>> phone - mobile phone related, but it doesn't have to be.

    >> The only thing that I absolutely must have are my pants. My wife says
    >> that were I to leave them home, the women would mob me, and the men
    >> would lynch me.
    >>
    >> Cell phone is the only thing. I don't have anythign else that I carry.
    >> I even leave my car keys in the car so I don't carry them either.

    >I see a quick profit here! Where do you park your car?

    In my garage... <g> However many people where I live don't take their
    keys out of the car. It is not uncommon to see a car running at the
    convience store in the winter, no one in it. (Yea, a few get stolen,
    too...)
    PeterD, Dec 4, 2008
  13. Steve

    Justin Guest

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote on [Thu, 04 Dec 2008 15:39:02 -0500]:

    > We now live in a much better neighborhood but we do not tempt our
    > neighbors or their children. We installed deadbolt locks, and we use
    > them without fail. Our neighbors think we're crazy but we will be the
    > last on the block, not the first, to have a breakin.

    Locks only keep the honest or lazy out. How do you know that you having
    deadbolts doesn't mean the thieves think you have something worth
    protecting?
    Justin, Dec 4, 2008
  14. Inspector-
    Gadget

    Sorry couldn't resist LOL ;) :)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Dec 4, 2008
  15. Ok,

    Now I have to make up for more stupid/sillyness.

    Only thing I take with me is my watch:

    In case somebody asks:

    "What time is it ?" ;) :)

    The watch is kinetic so my body-movement provides for the energy and it has
    a little battery...

    And when I press a button the pointers move around and then stop to show how
    much energy it has...

    Then it waits for the extra time to elapse again... and then it starts
    ticking as normal again.

    When it's low on energy the pointers start making a hearbeat movement...

    Like tick-tick, tick-tick, tick-tick to indicate it's last hearbeats ;)

    Kinda cool isn't it ? ;)

    I only wish it had special paint on the pointers so it would light up in the
    dark ! ;) :)

    Bye,
    Skybuck =D
    Skybuck Flying, Dec 4, 2008
  16. Reminds me of a story of my dad, can't remember exactly but it went
    something like this:

    He had a store... had cash in the store... was about to go home... or maybe
    it was in the morning.

    His store was very long... I think he heard something in the back... so he
    went to take a look.

    Then somebody snuck into the store at the front... went into the middle of
    the store where the money bag was... stole it and went outside.

    My farther did hear the doorbell.. so he went to the front of the store...
    and saw the door was left standing open... I think he saw a nigga
    walking/running away or something like that...

    Then he went back into the middle of the store and he noticed his money bag
    was gone !

    It all happened in under one minute.

    Seems reasonable to suspect it must have been two persons... one in the back
    causing the distraction... and one sneaking into the front to steal stuff.

    Also long ago my brother lost an expensive kinda-golden plated speed-bicycle
    he made himself...

    He parked it outside for 30 seconds or so... he went inside came back...
    poof gone.

    I was like 5 years old or so... at the time... so I saw how fast it went...

    I didn't see nobody.. it was like... now you see it... now you dont...

    Thiefs are hell-fast !

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Dec 4, 2008
  17. Steve

    Rich Grise Guest

    On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 20:49:35 -0800, Steve wrote:

    > What specific gadget/s (as in the brand and model) can't you currently
    > (seriously or humorously) leave your home without and please say why, for
    > anything named. It's fine if anything mentioned is primarily cell
    > phone - mobile phone related, but it doesn't have to be.

    My cash and my reading glasses. ;-)

    Cheers!
    Rich
    Rich Grise, Dec 4, 2008
  18. Steve

    krw Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 20:49:35 -0800 (PST), Steve <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >What specific gadget/s (as in the brand and model) can't you
    > >currently
    > >(seriously or humorously) leave your home without and please say why,
    > >for anything named. It's fine if anything mentioned is primarily
    > >cell
    > >phone - mobile phone related, but it doesn't have to be.

    > Shoes.

    A 'fransiscan who wears shoes? Shock!

    --
    Keith
    krw, Dec 5, 2008
  19. Steve

    krw Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 20:49:35 -0800, Steve wrote:
    >
    > > What specific gadget/s (as in the brand and model) can't you currently
    > > (seriously or humorously) leave your home without and please say why, for
    > > anything named. It's fine if anything mentioned is primarily cell
    > > phone - mobile phone related, but it doesn't have to be.

    > My cash and my reading glasses. ;-)

    I left the house without my wallet last week to go Black Friday
    shopping. Good thing I had my brother along with me. ;-) OTOH, I
    didn't even thinl about the latter when the question was asked. The
    glasses are a must (though never wore them as recently as two years
    ago).

    --
    Keith
    krw, Dec 5, 2008
  20. Steve

    MJKolodziej Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > What specific gadget/s (as in the brand and model) can't you
    > currently
    > (seriously or humorously) leave your home without and please say why,
    > for anything named. It's fine if anything mentioned is primarily
    > cell
    > phone - mobile phone related, but it doesn't have to be.

    American Express: because Karl Malden ingrained it in my head years ago.
    mk
    I could walk out of the house naked but I'd feel naked without my
    Leatherman.
    MJKolodziej, Dec 5, 2008