    This is why I can't work with programmers anymore....f-ing brilliant when it
    somes to writing code and not a lick of common sense.

    jim
    jim, Jul 6, 2007

  2. jim wrote:
    > Why would any thinking programmer make Firefox (a) ask you if you want to
    > update your plugins and (b) make you click on continue after the stupid
    > screen in "a"?
    >
    > I'll go out on a limb here and say that 99.999% of all users want the most
    > up to date version of their extensions.
    >
    > I'll wander out even further on said limb and say that 100% of the people
    > that launched Firefox and got that damned stupid update dialog box actually
    > want to "continue" and open Firefox.
    >
    > This is why I can't work with programmers anymore....f-ing brilliant when it
    > somes to writing code and not a lick of common sense.
    >
    > jim

    some people want to be notified when an update happens, but
    they want to manually download the file and manually install
    it. Some, like me, want a copy of the file on their hard
    drive, just incase something goes wrong with their profile
    or computer. This way, I don't have to hunt all over the
    net for my extensions.

    And, if you don't like the notification, then turn it off.

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jul 6, 2007

  3. jim

    jim Guest

    "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo" <>
    wrote in message news:...
    > jim wrote:
    >> Why would any thinking programmer make Firefox (a) ask you if you want to
    >> update your plugins and (b) make you click on continue after the stupid
    >> screen in "a"?
    >>
    >> I'll go out on a limb here and say that 99.999% of all users want the
    >> most up to date version of their extensions.
    >>
    >> I'll wander out even further on said limb and say that 100% of the people
    >> that launched Firefox and got that damned stupid update dialog box
    >> actually want to "continue" and open Firefox.
    >>
    >> This is why I can't work with programmers anymore....f-ing brilliant when
    >> it somes to writing code and not a lick of common sense.
    >>
    >> jim

    > some people want to be notified when an update happens, but they want to
    > manually download the file and manually install it. Some, like me, want a
    > copy of the file on their hard drive, just incase something goes wrong
    > with their profile or computer. This way, I don't have to hunt all over
    > the net for my extensions.
    >
    > And, if you don't like the notification, then turn it off.

    Under Tools>Options>Advanced>Updates....I have the following set ("X" =
    selected & "O" = NOT selected)....

    Automatically check for updates to:
    X Firefox
    X Installed Add-Ons
    X Search Engines

    When updates to Firefox are found:
    O Ask me what I want to do
    X Automatically download and install the update
    X Warn me if this will disable any of my add-ons

    So where do I turn off this idiot dialog?

    jim
    jim, Jul 6, 2007
  4. jim wrote:
    > So where do I turn off this idiot dialog?

    right here:

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jul 6, 2007
  5. Once Upon A Time Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >jim wrote:
    >> So where do I turn off this idiot dialog?

    >right here:
    >
    >> Automatically check for updates to:
    >> X Firefox
    >> X Installed Add-Ons
    >> X Search Engines

    Wow, you're totally missing his point. The thing is, there's no need
    for a "continue" dialog. It should just install the extension and then
    start up the program, which is what the user wants to do in the first
    place.

    **
    Captain Infinity
    Captain Infinity, Jul 6, 2007
  6. jim

    jim Guest

    "Captain Infinity" <> wrote in message
    > Once Upon A Time Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >
    >>jim wrote:
    >>> So where do I turn off this idiot dialog?

    >>right here:
    >>
    >>> Automatically check for updates to:
    >>> X Firefox
    >>> X Installed Add-Ons
    >>> X Search Engines

    > Wow, you're totally missing his point. The thing is, there's no need
    > for a "continue" dialog. It should just install the extension and then
    > start up the program, which is what the user wants to do in the first
    > place.
    >
    > **
    > Captain Infinity

    Exactly!

    And, from the Mozilla Forums - "At this point there is a bug that would make
    constant errors on Firefox start for XP users with limited accounts if all
    would be set up as you required..."

    So, perhaps that is it.

    You can follow the forum discussion at
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=2955985#2955985, if you so
    desire.

    jim
    jim, Jul 7, 2007
  7. jim

    Timo Salmi Guest

    In article <gpxji.6856$>,
    jim <> wrote:
    > Why would any thinking programmer make Firefox (a) ask you if you want to
    > update your plugins

    Not everyone is constantly connected via broadband, e.g. on a trip
    with a laptop and a modem. One may wish to choose when updates are
    made.

    All the best, Timo

    Department of Accounting and Business Finance ; University of Vaasa
    mailto: <http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/> ; FIN-65101, Finland
    Timo's FAQ materials at http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/tsfaq.html
    Timo Salmi, Jul 7, 2007
  8. jim

    Bob Guest

    Timo Salmi wrote:
    > In article <gpxji.6856$>,
    > jim <> wrote:
    >> Why would any thinking programmer make Firefox (a) ask you if you want to
    >> update your plugins

    > Not everyone is constantly connected via broadband, e.g. on a trip
    > with a laptop and a modem. One may wish to choose when updates are
    > made.

    That is fine but we have set our choices to "Automatically Update" and
    it does not.

    --
    Bob
    Bob, Jul 7, 2007