What format and what tools to compress dvds?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Neo, Jun 2, 2007.

  1. Neo

    Neo Guest

    Be peace and happiness upon you!

    People,

    I want to convert my DVDs into some compress format so that I could
    load my videos from my HD. One option is DIVX but is there any other
    format that is smaller in size and doesn't degrades that quality that
    much. All I want is to enjoy my old videos and quality is important
    but not that important.

    And what ever format you recommend, which is the most easiest tool to
    use? I have tried to use some tools but none were that easy to use. Is
    it possible to use Windows Movie Maker to compress my videos and use
    them cross platform(I prefer not to install unnecessary apps)?

    Free tools are more preferable. I am using Windows Xp Home SP2.

    Thanks,
    Fahad.
    Neo, Jun 2, 2007