    preference?

    Cheers,
    Dany.
    Dany P. Wu, Aug 25, 2003

  2. Dany P. Wu

    Evil Bastard Guest

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:12:49 +1200, Dany P. Wu wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > A friend of mine has two XP comps networked at home. They asked me what
    > firewall program is best for home usage. I've got two in mind, Kerio
    > firewall and ZoneAlarm. Any recommendation? or is it down to personal
    > preference?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Dany.

    Search the web for AtGuard.

    It's abandonware, so pretty hard to find.
    However, it's a wonderful firewall, easy to set up, gives you whatever
    level of control you want, and is tighter than a gerbil's anus.
    Evil Bastard, Aug 25, 2003

  3. Dany P. Wu

    Dany P. Wu Guest

    "Evil Bastard" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:12:49 +1200, Dany P. Wu wrote:
    >
    > > Hi everyone,
    > >
    > > A friend of mine has two XP comps networked at home. They asked me what
    > > firewall program is best for home usage. I've got two in mind, Kerio
    > > firewall and ZoneAlarm. Any recommendation? or is it down to personal
    > > preference?
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > Dany.

    > Search the web for AtGuard.
    >
    > It's abandonware, so pretty hard to find.
    > However, it's a wonderful firewall, easy to set up, gives you whatever
    > level of control you want, and is tighter than a gerbil's anus.

    Thanks for that. And you reckon it works well on a gateway computer? do I
    need to install it on the client computer as well?

    Cheers,
    D.
    Dany P. Wu, Aug 25, 2003
  4. On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 17:32:01 +1200, Evil Bastard <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:12:49 +1200, Dany P. Wu wrote:
    >
    >> Hi everyone,
    >>
    >> A friend of mine has two XP comps networked at home. They asked me what
    >> firewall program is best for home usage. I've got two in mind, Kerio
    >> firewall and ZoneAlarm. Any recommendation? or is it down to personal
    >> preference?
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Dany.

    >Search the web for AtGuard.
    >
    >It's abandonware, so pretty hard to find.
    >However, it's a wonderful firewall, easy to set up, gives you whatever
    >level of control you want, and is tighter than a gerbil's anus.

    Nortons took it over.
    Robert Kramer, Aug 25, 2003
  5. Dany P. Wu

    Evil Bastard Guest

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 18:38:09 +1200, Dany P. Wu wrote:

    >> Search the web for AtGuard.
    >>
    >> It's abandonware, so pretty hard to find.
    >> However, it's a wonderful firewall, easy to set up, gives you whatever
    >> level of control you want, and is tighter than a gerbil's anus.

    > Thanks for that. And you reckon it works well on a gateway computer? do I
    > need to install it on the client computer as well?

    No need to install it on the clients. You only need to configure AtGuard
    to accept incoming connections from the client. And, if you're NATing
    incoming connections from the net *to* the client, you'll need to
    configure AtGuard to allow the outbound connection from gateway to client.

    Best to configure your clients with fixed IP addresses instead of
    DHCP'ing them.
    Evil Bastard, Aug 25, 2003
  6. Dany P. Wu

    mdew Guest

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:12:49 +1200, Dany P. Wu wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > A friend of mine has two XP comps networked at home. They asked me what
    > firewall program is best for home usage. I've got two in mind, Kerio
    > firewall and ZoneAlarm. Any recommendation? or is it down to personal
    > preference?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Dany.

    a seperate box running linux and iptables.

    --
    "Prayer has no place in Public School, just like facts have no place in organized religion." --The Simpsons
    mdew, Aug 25, 2003
  7. Dany P. Wu

    Dany P. Wu Guest

    "mdew" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:12:49 +1200, Dany P. Wu wrote:
    >
    > > Hi everyone,
    > >
    > > A friend of mine has two XP comps networked at home. They asked me what
    > > firewall program is best for home usage. I've got two in mind, Kerio
    > > firewall and ZoneAlarm. Any recommendation? or is it down to personal
    > > preference?
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > Dany.

    > a seperate box running linux and iptables.

    That's not what I'm asking. They have two computers running XP, and I would
    like a firewall solution using what they already have.

    D.
    Dany P. Wu, Aug 26, 2003
  8. In article <>,
    says...
    ..

    > That's not what I'm asking. They have two computers running XP, and I would
    > like a firewall solution using what they already have.
    >
    > D.

    I found Sygate Personal Firewall to be excellent on Win9x systems. Not
    too sure how it performs on XP though.
    ZoneAlarm behaves too much like a virus itself for me to even consider it
    (lots of people including myself have had incredible trouble uninstalling
    it ever again).
    I also remember seeing somebody explaining how the XP ICF is actually
    configurable - it's just hard to find - and I have never had it ask me if
    a certain app is allowed to connect _out_ either when I had to play with
    it.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Aug 26, 2003
  9. Dany P. Wu

    Paul Guest

    XP's firewall is only good to a point

    It lets u connect to whatever, BUT
    doesnt lock anything out (DENY access
    to anyone or anything).

    If u get a worm or trojan
    in the meantime. Turning the firewall on later
    wont make it disappear.

    I use Norton's Internet Security
    on XP. And yup I used to have Zonealarm
    and I uninstalled it once. IT CAN and WILL
    lock you out of the net !, if you're not careful!

    If it doesnt uninstall all it's files
    when u uninstall it. XP's firewall is
    pretty easy to configure, BUT I wouldn't
    recommend it on a long-term basis.

    It's too basic. And as you've noticed, it
    doesnt ask you or give u the option of
    whether you should run a program etc.

    Coz it hasnt got the option. It's not that
    advanced.

    In order to use the firewall, (If you dont know
    how to turn it off/on, you double-click
    on your dialup icon/properties/advanced
    and tick the first option. If you want to use
    MIRC for example, you would enable the firewall
    then click on Settings. In order to use the DCC
    option which in Mirc, you would click on Add
    And give it a name (Mirc). The ip, if on a network
    would be 192.168.0.1 (or whatever your ip is)
    the port, if you go into Mirc/File/DCC/Options
    you'll see that the DCC ports are 1024 (1st)
    and 5000 (last). Those are the numbers you
    would put in under External and Internal
    in the settings under the firewall options.
    under TCP and UDP.

    Just as long as you know what the ip addy
    is, you'll connect. NOTE tho. Entering ips
    in here will allow access. NOT deny them!

    So, be careful what you put in it.

    Paul, Aug 29, 2003
  10. Dany P. Wu

    Lennier Guest

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 17:32:01 +1200, Evil Bastard wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:12:49 +1200, Dany P. Wu wrote:
    >
    >> Hi everyone,
    >>
    >> A friend of mine has two XP comps networked at home. They asked me what
    >> firewall program is best for home usage. I've got two in mind, Kerio
    >> firewall and ZoneAlarm. Any recommendation? or is it down to personal
    >> preference?
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Dany.

    > Search the web for AtGuard.
    >
    > It's abandonware, so pretty hard to find. However, it's a wonderful
    > firewall, easy to set up, gives you whatever level of control you want,
    > and is tighter than a gerbil's anus.

    Also, if your friend wants to set up common internet access for both boxen
    s/he could resurrect an old, say, p120, and install Smoothwall on it.

    It makes a perfectly rock-solid highly configurable firewall for any
    network.

    Lennier
    Lennier, Nov 21, 2003