what files should i use to update my bios??

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Daniel Farley, Jul 18, 2003.

  1. I have a J-7zxas m/b (the manal dosen't say what manafature makes it) and i
    need to update the bios, i just got a 40G hard disk, and it cant see it, its
    two big for it.

    Now i did a web search for that model, and it looks like it must be a jetway
    one. http://www.jetway.com.tw/evisn/download/bioslist.htm

    Now if you go two this page, there is two listed by this model number.

    -7ZXAS /AN (2M) 7ZXASL01.BIN 256K
    Version:L01 For 7ZXAS/AN
    2M Flash ROM Use
    (08-17-99)

    J-7ZXAS /AN (1M) ZXAS2D01.BIN 128K
    Version:D01 Update BIOS Code
    (1M Flash ROM Use)
    (08-17-99)

    You see one is listed as 256k and the other as 128k

    Whats with that??

    Daniel
    Daniel Farley, Jul 18, 2003

  2. Daniel Farley

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 23:41:04 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >This refers to the size of the chip the BIOS is in. My old mobo had a
    >1meg BIOS chip which I upgraded from versoin 1 to 4. I had to get a
    >new 2meg chip fitted to upgrade to version 6. You will have to find
    >out what BIOS you have. Watch for the string on boot-up.
    >
    >http://www.jetway.com.tw/evisn/download/d7zxas.htm
    >
    >Tells you how to tell what you have. If D series it is 1M, if B
    >series, 2M.

    You need the awdflash.exe file (click on [How To Update] on
    http://www.jetway.com.tw/evisn/index.html ) and the appropriate .bin
    file. This is a risky operation, though I haven't had one fail on me.
    Make sure you have a good quality floppy disc, format it and make a
    system disc (bootable). Copy the .exe and .bin file to it. Then I
    would check it with Nortons Disc Doctor to make sure that there isn't
    a problem with the disc. You don't want data on a bad sector or
    you're stuffed. With it being a risky operation, so some say, I would
    switch off the computer to erase the possibility of something staying
    in the memory, which can happen, then boot up with the boot disc.

    GraB, Jul 18, 2003

  3. In article <>,
    says...
    > You need the awdflash.exe file (click on [How To Update] on
    > http://www.jetway.com.tw/evisn/index.html ) and the appropriate .bin
    > file. This is a risky operation, though I haven't had one fail on me.
    > Make sure you have a good quality floppy disc, format it and make a
    > system disc (bootable). Copy the .exe and .bin file to it. Then I
    > would check it with Nortons Disc Doctor to make sure that there isn't
    > a problem with the disc. You don't want data on a bad sector or
    > you're stuffed. With it being a risky operation, so some say, I would
    > switch off the computer to erase the possibility of something staying
    > in the memory, which can happen, then boot up with the boot disc.

    Typically the flash program also allows you to make a backup of the
    existing bios. So you first make a backup, then try to burn the new
    image; if it doesn't take you can still attempt to reinstall the old one,
    so long as you ***don't turn the computer off*** in-between.
    (having it on a UPS at this point is also a good insurance)

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Jul 18, 2003
  4. And mine says its a C01?? which would be???

    Daniel Farley, Jul 18, 2003