    camera's.

    I'm also interested in the file sizes for 4 meg and 5 meg camera's

    Regards Brian

    Brian, Sep 27, 2003

  2. Brian

    BuGz Guest

    umm 800 to 1100kbs depending on settings. 5 megapixel=1800 to 2300kbs
    depending on settings and subjects. these are jpg file sizes. for tiff
    multiply by 10. I never work with raw.
    BuGzY

    BuGz, Sep 27, 2003

  3. Brian

    jriegle Guest

    My 3.2mp camera makes 1200-1500KB files in the highest quality JPEG mode.
    I've seen them go just over 2000KB in models that compress even less. I
    imagine the 5mp cameras will write files in the 3000KB range.

    I carry two 128MB cards and one 16MB card (in case of over flow). These seem
    plenty for me for a day's shooting as long as I don't shoot any video.
    John

    jriegle, Sep 27, 2003
  4. Brian

    gr Guest

    "BuGz" <> wrote
    > umm 800 to 1100kbs depending on settings. 5 megapixel=1800 to 2300kbs
    > depending on settings and subjects. these are jpg file sizes. for tiff
    > multiply by 10. I never work with raw.

    For the Olympus C-5050 (5 megapixel), I find it's about 1000-1200kB for the
    HQ setting, which they state is a 1:11 JPEG compression. On SHQ, the file
    sizes are about 2800-3000kB, which they claim to be a 4:1 JPEG compression.
    So, the file sizes vary depending on how much compression the manufacturer
    decides to do.

    I don't really see much difference in quality between 1:11 and 1:4
    compression ratios. YMMV.

    TIFF will be the full uncomressed image size, about 3 bytes for every pixel.

    gr, Sep 27, 2003
  5. Brian

    BPR2 Guest

    My Canon D30 (3.2 MPixel) produces:

    2.6 to 4.4 MBtye files in RAW (most are around 4 MByte +/- 10%)

    AND

    0.9 to 3.9 MByte files in Large / Fine (High quality, low compression *.jpg
    .... average is about 1.5 MB, variability is substantial) the actual file
    size depends upon the content of the image.

    I don't bother with any of the other file size settings.

    --
    From BPR

    BPR2, Sep 27, 2003