    (but my windows 98 copy can install and was a full version). I would
    like to know what files the OS will look for to distinguish whether
    the CD inserted is the one it wants ?

    Emil Lam, Apr 1, 2005

  2. Emil Lam

    Don Schmidt Guest

    I made a copy of the Win98 folder from my CD to the D: hard drive. Whenever
    a request for the Windows CD comes up, I point to D:\Win98 and it likes it
    fine.

    --
    Don
    Vancouver, USA

    Don Schmidt, Apr 1, 2005

  3. "Emil Lam" <> wrote in message

    > When I need to change some H/W settings (e.g. add/remove H/W) in my
    > computer, the windows 98 installed in my PC will prompt me to insert
    > CD labelled for windows 98 for file copy. If I insert the CD just
    > mentioned above, the OS will complain it couldn't recognize the CD
    > (but my windows 98 copy can install and was a full version). I would
    > like to know what files the OS will look for to distinguish whether
    > the CD inserted is the one it wants ?

    When the OS is installed the drive/path location of the Win98
    setup CABs is stored in a directory entry -- which can be edited
    via REGEDIT.EXE (if you are very careful) to pint to wherever
    on C:\ you copied these files.
    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Don Phillipson, Apr 1, 2005
  4. Emil Lam

    Emil Lam Guest

    "Don Phillipson" <> wrote in message news:<u#>...

    > When the OS is installed the drive/path location of the Win98
    > setup CABs is stored in a directory entry -- which can be edited
    > via REGEDIT.EXE (if you are very careful) to pint to wherever
    > on C:\ you copied these files.

    Don,

    Do you mean I need to search for cab file settings in registry then
    modify it to the directory where I place those cab files ? Could I
    just tell windows to look for directories in CD where cab files being
    stored instead ?

    Emil Lam, Apr 2, 2005
  5. Emil Lam

    Elmo Guest

    Emil Lam wrote:
    > "Don Phillipson" <> wrote in message news:<u#>...
    >
    >>When the OS is installed the drive/path location of the Win98
    >>setup CABs is stored in a directory entry -- which can be edited
    >>via REGEDIT.EXE (if you are very careful) to pint to wherever
    >>on C:\ you copied these files.

    > Don,
    >
    > Do you mean I need to search for cab file settings in registry then
    > modify it to the directory where I place those cab files ? Could I
    > just tell windows to look for directories in CD where cab files being
    > stored instead ?

    When Windows can't find the folder, you can redirect it to the CD
    folder. It's just easier to always have it available on the hd and have
    that as the default location.

    --
    Joe =o)

    Elmo, Apr 2, 2005

    > > When the OS is installed the drive/path location of the Win98
    > > setup CABs is stored in a directory entry -- which can be edited
    > > via REGEDIT.EXE (if you are very careful) to pint to wherever
    > > on C:\ you copied these files.

    > Don,
    >
    > Do you mean I need to search for cab file settings in registry then
    > modify it to the directory where I place those cab files ? Could I
    > just tell windows to look for directories in CD where cab files being
    > stored instead ?

    For case 1, my Registry location is
    My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\InstallLocationMRU
    where several keys (filepath locations) may appear.
    Your case 1 (looking to the CD) is the default setting
    on installation of the OS from its CD.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Don Phillipson, Apr 2, 2005
  7. Emil Lam

    Emil Lam Guest

    "Don Phillipson" <> wrote in message news:<#>...

    Don,

    Do you mean that windows is always looking for files stored inside
    ..cab files whenever it makes such prompt ?

    > For case 1, my Registry location is
    > My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\InstallLocationMRU

    Unfortunately, my computer don't has such subkey value so I couldn't
    make further checks.

    Emil Lam, Apr 3, 2005
  8. Emil Lam

    Colin Guest

    > Don,
    >
    > Do you mean that windows is always looking for files stored inside
    > .cab files whenever it makes such prompt ?
    >
    > > For case 1, my Registry location is
    > > My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\InstallLocationMRU

    > Unfortunately, my computer don't has such subkey value so I couldn't
    > make further checks.
    >
    > > where several keys (filepath locations) may appear.
    > > Your case 1 (looking to the CD) is the default setting
    > > on installation of the OS from its CD.

    Start/regedit/search sourcepath
    And change it to the location of your win98 cabs folder (as mentioned, very
    handy to copy them over to your harddrive); so C:\WIN98

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\SourcePat

    Colin, Apr 3, 2005
  9. Emil Lam

    Brian Inglis Guest

    On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 16:45:30 -0500 in comp.os.misc, "Don Phillipson"
    <> wrote:

    >"Emil Lam" <> wrote in message
    >> "Don Phillipson" <> wrote in message

    >> > When the OS is installed the drive/path location of the Win98
    >> > setup CABs is stored in a directory entry -- which can be edited
    >> > via REGEDIT.EXE (if you are very careful) to pint to wherever
    >> > on C:\ you copied these files.

    >> Don,
    >>
    >> Do you mean I need to search for cab file settings in registry then
    >> modify it to the directory where I place those cab files ? Could I
    >> just tell windows to look for directories in CD where cab files being
    >> stored instead ?

    >For case 1, my Registry location is
    >My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\InstallLocationMRU
    >where several keys (filepath locations) may appear.
    >Your case 1 (looking to the CD) is the default setting
    >on installation of the OS from its CD.

    These kinds of parameters always have the vendor and product in the
    path before the parameter name: try
    HKEY_Local_Machine/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup
    values SourcePath, OLSSrcPath, and CommandLine: make sure they're all
    consistent, and check for any other values with the same old path.

    (Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
    fake address use address above to reply

    Brian Inglis, Apr 3, 2005