    This certainly is another reason for me to strongly consider bailing
    and going back to Mozilla suite.

    Jim
    Jim, Jul 6, 2005

  2. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 12:02:59 -0500, Jim <> wrote:

    >Well Firefox did it again! I shut it down normally before going out
    >for a couple hours. Started it up when I came back and all the links
    >in my bookmark home page showed as not recently visited and the
    >autocomplete feature typing a web address had no matches and the
    >history file shrunk from 3 mb to 3kb. Norton goback seems to indicate
    >that the proper history file was loaded at startup but then
    >disappeared 2 minutes later. Unlike the last time this happened, my
    >form completion and saved passwords are intact.
    >
    >I reloaded history.dat from earlier today but that does not seem to
    >solved the history or autocomplete problem. Is there another file, or
    >more than one, required to be restored to bring this back.?
    >
    >This certainly is another reason for me to strongly consider bailing
    >and going back to Mozilla suite.
    >
    >Jim

    Well, I tried going back another 12 hours to a similar sized history
    file and now my history & autocomplete are is back so I guess
    history.dat is the only required file.

    This intermittent, maddeningly erratic behavior of Firefox remains
    disgusting.
    Jim, Jul 6, 2005

  3. Re: What file is used to autocomplete web address-Firefox blew awayhistory again

    Jim wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 12:02:59 -0500, Jim <> wrote:
    >

    >>Well Firefox did it again! I shut it down normally before going out
    >>for a couple hours. Started it up when I came back and all the links
    >>in my bookmark home page showed as not recently visited and the
    >>autocomplete feature typing a web address had no matches and the
    >>history file shrunk from 3 mb to 3kb. Norton goback seems to indicate
    >>that the proper history file was loaded at startup but then
    >>disappeared 2 minutes later. Unlike the last time this happened, my
    >>form completion and saved passwords are intact.
    >>
    >>I reloaded history.dat from earlier today but that does not seem to
    >>solved the history or autocomplete problem. Is there another file, or
    >>more than one, required to be restored to bring this back.?
    >>
    >>This certainly is another reason for me to strongly consider bailing
    >>and going back to Mozilla suite.
    >>
    >>Jim

    > Well, I tried going back another 12 hours to a similar sized history
    > file and now my history & autocomplete are is back so I guess
    > history.dat is the only required file.
    >
    > This intermittent, maddeningly erratic behavior of Firefox remains
    > disgusting.

    Go the Suite! :)
    dryd[takethisout], Jul 7, 2005
  4. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 12:19:37 GMT, "dryd[takethisout]"
    <"dryd[takethisout]"@bigpond.com> wrote:

    >Jim wrote:
    >> On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 12:02:59 -0500, Jim <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Well Firefox did it again! I shut it down normally before going out
    >>>for a couple hours. Started it up when I came back and all the links
    >>>in my bookmark home page showed as not recently visited and the
    >>>autocomplete feature typing a web address had no matches and the
    >>>history file shrunk from 3 mb to 3kb. Norton goback seems to indicate
    >>>that the proper history file was loaded at startup but then
    >>>disappeared 2 minutes later. Unlike the last time this happened, my
    >>>form completion and saved passwords are intact.
    >>>
    >>>I reloaded history.dat from earlier today but that does not seem to
    >>>solved the history or autocomplete problem. Is there another file, or
    >>>more than one, required to be restored to bring this back.?
    >>>
    >>>This certainly is another reason for me to strongly consider bailing
    >>>and going back to Mozilla suite.
    >>>
    >>>Jim

    >> Well, I tried going back another 12 hours to a similar sized history
    >> file and now my history & autocomplete are is back so I guess
    >> history.dat is the only required file.
    >>
    >> This intermittent, maddeningly erratic behavior of Firefox remains
    >> disgusting.
    >>

    >Go the Suite! :)

    Crapware, just did it again. I simply closed the program and 30
    seconds later reopened it and the history was gone. Will be trying to
    figure out ASAP how to move things over!
    Jim, Jul 7, 2005
  5. Jim

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Jim wrote:

    > On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 12:19:37 GMT, "dryd[takethisout]"
    > <"dryd[takethisout]"@bigpond.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Jim wrote:

    >>>Well, I tried going back another 12 hours to a similar sized history
    >>>file and now my history & autocomplete are is back so I guess
    >>>history.dat is the only required file.
    >>>
    >>>This intermittent, maddeningly erratic behavior of Firefox remains
    >>>disgusting.
    >>>

    >>Go the Suite! :)

    > Crapware, just did it again. I simply closed the program and 30
    > seconds later reopened it and the history was gone. Will be trying to
    > figure out ASAP how to move things over!

    Before you go too crazy, try starting FF in Safe Mode and see what
    happens: it might be an extension conflict. If that doesn't work, try
    creating a new profile and see if the behavior persists. If not,
    migrate only the essential data from the old one. If it does, the next
    step is to try uninstall and re-install with a fresh profile.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jul 7, 2005
  6. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 16:12:23 -0400, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    >Jim wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 12:19:37 GMT, "dryd[takethisout]"
    >> <"dryd[takethisout]"@bigpond.com> wrote:

    >>>Go the Suite! :)

    >> Crapware, just did it again. I simply closed the program and 30
    >> seconds later reopened it and the history was gone. Will be trying to
    >> figure out ASAP how to move things over!

    >Before you go too crazy, try starting FF in Safe Mode and see what
    >happens: it might be an extension conflict. If that doesn't work, try
    >creating a new profile and see if the behavior persists. If not,
    >migrate only the essential data from the old one. If it does, the next
    >step is to try uninstall and re-install with a fresh profile.

    The one time I started it in Safe Mode, all was fine. But then again
    90% or more of the time when I start it in regular mode all is fine.
    Meanwhile...thank goodness for goback and ability to rescue the last
    good history file.
    Jim, Jul 8, 2005
  7. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 21:59:22 -0500, Jim <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 16:12:23 -0400, Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >
    >>Jim wrote:

    >>> Crapware, just did it again. I simply closed the program and 30
    >>> seconds later reopened it and the history was gone. Will be trying to
    >>> figure out ASAP how to move things over!

    >>Before you go too crazy, try starting FF in Safe Mode and see what
    >>happens: it might be an extension conflict. If that doesn't work, try
    >>creating a new profile and see if the behavior persists. If not,
    >>migrate only the essential data from the old one. If it does, the next
    >>step is to try uninstall and re-install with a fresh profile.

    >The one time I started it in Safe Mode, all was fine. But then again
    >90% or more of the time when I start it in regular mode all is fine.
    >Meanwhile...thank goodness for goback and ability to rescue the last
    >good history file.

    Happened again. This time, I restore the old history file, and every
    time I do so and restart Firefox it gets deleted and replaced by an
    empty one. Same thing even happened when started in safe mode. Same
    thing happened after restoring, rebooting and starting in safe mode.

    Time to give Mozilla Suite a whirl. The suggestion 2 paragraphs up
    may be valid but I've had enough grief.

    Jim

    Why should this be happening only very sporadically?!
    Jim, Oct 4, 2005