    down as much as possible.

    Thanks in advance for any recommendations, advice or opinions.

    Bill
    Bill & Debbie, Jul 19, 2005

  2. Bill & Debbie

    Jordan Guest

    Bare minimum if you're going to display it in HDTV (which implies a
    16:9 screen) is that it be anamorphic widescreen (on the back it will
    either say "anamorphic" or it will say "enhanced for widescreen TVs").

    For audio there's an argument between Dolby Digital and DTS... DTS
    sounds louder to me at the same volume level but other than that I
    can't really tell them apart.

    - Jordan
    Jordan, Jul 19, 2005

  3. Bill & Debbie

    Ed Kim Guest

    Bill & Debbie wrote:
    > I wish to purchase a DVD to display movies on an HDTV Monitor. All I'm
    > really interested in is good audio and video. I'll probably record the
    > movie on my DVR and view it at a later time. I would like to keep the price
    > down as much as possible.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any recommendations, advice or opinions.
    >
    > Bill

    get the OPPO 971H (http://oppodigital.com/)

    The key features that it has that are important, Faroudja DCDi upsample
    to 720p, DVI out, PAL/NTSC, region free hack, Divx/MPEG support, $199
    price tag.

    i have it and display it on my Samsung 50" DLP and it looks beauteous.
    THere are a couple of minor interface nigglings and the Faroudja chip
    does exhibit some macroblocking, but overall, i love it.

    -goro-
    Ed Kim, Jul 19, 2005