    I'm wondering how worthwhile it would be to charge/discharge new Eneloops.

    PS: How does that improvement compare to the improvement of conventional
    NiMH by doing a few power cycles?

    david, Apr 21, 2011

  2. david

    ASCII Guest

    david wrote:
    >Approx how much additional charge would an Eneloop AA cell hold after it
    >has been through a few charge/discharge cycles?
    >
    >I'm wondering how worthwhile it would be to charge/discharge new Eneloops.
    >
    >PS: How does that improvement compare to the improvement of conventional
    >NiMH by doing a few power cycles?

    Don't have any precise results but whenever I get new eneloops, hybrio, or any
    other low self discharge nimmies, I treat them as I did the earlier versions
    by doing a 'conditioning' cycle first thing before usage. [Maha MH C808M]
    Yet to experience any issues using my method.

    ASCII, Apr 21, 2011

  3. david

    david Guest

    On 17:15 21 Apr 2011, ASCII wrote:

    > david wrote:
    >>Approx how much additional charge would an Eneloop AA cell hold after
    >>it has been through a few charge/discharge cycles?
    >>
    >>I'm wondering how worthwhile it would be to charge/discharge new
    >>Eneloops.
    >>
    >>PS: How does that improvement compare to the improvement of
    >>conventional NiMH by doing a few power cycles?

    > Don't have any precise results but whenever I get new eneloops,
    > hybrio, or any other low self discharge nimmies, I treat them as I did
    > the earlier versions by doing a 'conditioning' cycle first thing
    > before usage. [Maha MH C808M] Yet to experience any issues using my
    > method.

    A single conditioning cycle is probably a agood idea anyway because ISTR
    Eneloops are sold with only a 75% charge.

    Do you know how much increased capacity you get by doing a second or third
    conditioning cycle from low self discharge NiMHs?

    david, Apr 21, 2011
  4. david

    ASCII Guest

    david wrote:
    >On 17:15 21 Apr 2011, ASCII wrote:
    >
    >> david wrote:
    >>>Approx how much additional charge would an Eneloop AA cell hold after
    >>>it has been through a few charge/discharge cycles?
    >>>
    >>>I'm wondering how worthwhile it would be to charge/discharge new
    >>>Eneloops.
    >>>
    >>>PS: How does that improvement compare to the improvement of
    >>>conventional NiMH by doing a few power cycles?

    >> Don't have any precise results but whenever I get new eneloops,
    >> hybrio, or any other low self discharge nimmies, I treat them as I did
    >> the earlier versions by doing a 'conditioning' cycle first thing
    >> before usage. [Maha MH C808M] Yet to experience any issues using my
    >> method.

    >A single conditioning cycle is probably a agood idea anyway because ISTR
    >Eneloops are sold with only a 75% charge.
    >
    >Do you know how much increased capacity you get by doing a second or third
    >conditioning cycle from low self discharge NiMHs?

    Since I often just top off the batteries before a planned photo session I only
    do subsequent 'condition' cycles about every fourth charge event or after a
    prolonged non-use spell and haven't tried to measure the results. I also have
    the [Maha MH-C777PLUS] which does do a capacity evaluation but it's only for
    the battery packs on my handy talkies. I did notice recently that after only a
    little over five years one of the Lithium packs for the handie is down to
    about half capacity. When the batteries seem to not be holding a sustained
    charge even after a conditioning cycle, I usually just replace them.
    Next 'must have' item for the process will likely be a ZTS-MBT tester.

    ASCII, Apr 21, 2011