what exactly is progressive music?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sjef Öllers, Apr 9, 2004.

  1. Sjef Öllers

    Sjef Öllers Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > can somebody please explain thanks

    Please check this:
    http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=UIDCASS80311111324170992&sql=C3
    74

    Prog-Rock/Art Rock
    genre: Rock
    Progressive rock and art rock are two almost interchangeable terms
    describing a mostly British attempt to elevate rock music to new levels of
    artistic credibility. The differences between prog-rock and art rock are
    often slight in practice, but do exist. Prog-rock tends to be more
    traditionally melodic (even when multi-sectioned compositions replace normal
    song structures), more literary (poetry or sci-fi/fantasy novels), and more
    oriented toward classically trained instrumental technique (with the
    exception of Pink Floyd). Art rock is more likely to have experimental or
    avant-garde influences, placing novel sonic texture above prog-rock's
    symphonic ambitions. Both styles are intrinsically album-based, taking
    advantage of the format's capacity for longer, more complex compositions and
    extended instrumental explorations. In fact, many prog bands were fond of
    crafting concept albums that made unified statements, usually telling an
    epic story or tackling a grand overarching theme. In addition to pushing
    rock's technical and compositional boundaries, prog-rock was also arguably
    the first arena where synthesizers and electronic textures became
    indispensable parts of a rock ensemble. The earliest rumblings of
    progressive and art rock could be heard in the poetry of Bob Dylan and
    conceptually unified albums like the Mothers of Invention's Freak Out! and
    the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, all of which suggested
    that rock was more than just teenagers' music and should be taken seriously
    as an art form. Prog-rock began to emerge out of the British psychedelic
    scene in 1967, specifically a strain of classical/symphonic rock led by the
    Nice, Procol Harum, and the Moody Blues (Days of Future Passed). King
    Crimson's 1969 debut In the Court of the Crimson King firmly established the
    concept of progressive rock, and a quirky, eclectic scene was taking shape
    in Canterbury, led by the jazzy psychedelia of the Soft Machine. Prog-rock
    became a commercial force in the early '70s, with Emerson, Lake & Palmer,
    Yes, Jethro Tull, Genesis, and Pink Floyd leading the way. Meanwhile, a more
    avant-garde scene (dubbed Kraut-rock) was developing in Germany, and
    eccentric, unclassifiable bands continued to emerge in the U.K. By the
    mid-'70s, a backlash was beginning to set in; prog-rock sometimes mistook
    bombast for majesty, and its far-reaching ambition and concern with artistic
    legitimacy could make for overblown, pretentious music. Its heyday soon came
    to an end with the advent of punk, which explicitly repudiated prog's
    excesses and aimed to return rock & roll to its immediate, visceral roots.
    Still, prog-rock didn't completely go away. A number of AOR bands used prog
    ideas in more concise songs; plus, Pink Floyd, Yes, and Genesis all had
    number one singles in the '80s by retooling their approaches. A small cult
    of neo-prog bands catered to faithful audiences who still liked grandiose
    concepts and flashy technique; the first was Marillion, and many more popped
    up in the late '80s and early '90s.

    Related Styles: Industrial Psychedelic Goth Rock Glam Rock Euro-Rock
    Kraut Rock Acid Rock Arena Rock British Metal Jazz-Rock Neo-Psychedelia
    Space Rock Guitar Virtuoso Progressive Metal Neo-Prog Experimental Rock
    Neo-Classical Metal Album Rock Canterbury Scene Obscuro Symphonic Black
    Metal Avant-Prog

    I think this is fair account ! Also click on the related styles that you're
    interested in.

    Sjef Öllers, Apr 9, 2004

  2. Zero the Hero, Apr 9, 2004

  3. Sjef Öllers

    mike schmidt Guest

    Wow!!!

    I was turned off at first by what seemed to be a doctoral thesis, but this
    is chock full of things I didn't know.

    mike schmidt, Apr 10, 2004