What equipment to go for?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by HangaS, Jan 9, 2008.

  1. HangaS

    HangaS Guest

    Hi

    I currently have in a network a Linux box acting as router. This box
    as acts an interVLAN router that connects 3 VLANs and provides DHCP
    to
    each VLAN. A fourth interface is connected to a Cisco 805 that does
    the NAT for each of the VLANs access the internet.


    I now want to replace this linux box with a dedicated router, which
    can have ate least 4 interfaces and can also provide DHPC to each
    one.


    It doesn't have to support VLANs, as VLANs are handled by a 3COM 3300
    Switch I just want a router with can router between the 3 vlans and
    the internet router.


    I was looking as the CISCO 2801 Integrated services router. Does It
    do
    what I need?
    Can anyone suggest a model for the job?


    Kind Regards
    Hangas
    HangaS, Jan 9, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. HangaS

    Theiss Guest

    Why can't you use the Cisco 805 to take over the routing job of the linux
    box?
    You should be able to use sub-interfaces on the lan port to do this.
    You still need the linux box to supply the DHCP, unless the Cisco 805 can
    supply it (I haven't worked much with that series).

    A router with 4 interfaces can be costly.

    Theiss

    "HangaS" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi
    >
    > I currently have in a network a Linux box acting as router. This box
    > as acts an interVLAN router that connects 3 VLANs and provides DHCP
    > to
    > each VLAN. A fourth interface is connected to a Cisco 805 that does
    > the NAT for each of the VLANs access the internet.
    >
    >
    > I now want to replace this linux box with a dedicated router, which
    > can have ate least 4 interfaces and can also provide DHPC to each
    > one.
    >
    >
    > It doesn't have to support VLANs, as VLANs are handled by a 3COM 3300
    > Switch I just want a router with can router between the 3 vlans and
    > the internet router.
    >
    >
    > I was looking as the CISCO 2801 Integrated services router. Does It
    > do
    > what I need?
    > Can anyone suggest a model for the job?
    >
    >
    > Kind Regards
    > Hangas
    >
    >
    Theiss, Jan 9, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. HangaS wrote:
    > I currently have in a network a Linux box acting as router. This box
    > as acts an interVLAN router that connects 3 VLANs and provides DHCP
    > to
    > each VLAN. A fourth interface is connected to a Cisco 805 that does
    > the NAT for each of the VLANs access the internet.
    >
    >
    > I now want to replace this linux box with a dedicated router, which
    > can have ate least 4 interfaces and can also provide DHPC to each
    > one.
    >
    >
    > It doesn't have to support VLANs, as VLANs are handled by a 3COM 3300
    > Switch I just want a router with can router between the 3 vlans and
    > the internet router.
    >
    >
    > I was looking as the CISCO 2801 Integrated services router. Does It
    > do
    > what I need?
    > Can anyone suggest a model for the job?


    I'm a big fan of the 877-sec-k9. It's like working with a layer 3 switch. Utilization of the dsl interface is optional. Just trunk it to a switch and rock out. Supports vlans, trunking, zone policy firewall, v6v4 tunneling, dmvpn. Very cool router.
    Network Blackjack, Jan 9, 2008
    #3
  4. HangaS

    HangaS Guest

    Hi Theiss,

    Well, I didn't knew I could.
    In fact altough I also have 805, the router that will be part of this
    setup is in fact a 836, but its also a 800 series so should be the
    same.

    The reason why I thought I couldn't use the 386 is because it only has
    2 interfaces ethernet0 and ethernet2(if enabled) and I though that I
    had to have
    an interface to terminate each VLAN.

    What you are saying also makes sense to me, hook all the VLAN "ends"
    in the ethernet0 and use subinterfaces. I'm not very familiar with
    subinterfaces in IOS
    but I believe it should be the same as IP aliasing in Linux.

    A few questions though.

    Can I use acess lists to filter trafing between subinterfaces?
    Wouldn't the traffic from on VLAN "leak" to the other VLANs because
    their are also tied up in the same phisical connection?

    That's the main reason I tought of a router with several interfaces.

    Regarding the DHCP, yes the 836 (and I believe the 805 also) can
    provide a DHCP pool. I'm currently using one for the VPDN tunnel.


    Many thanks by the tip!
    HangaS


    On Jan 9, 6:13 pm, "Theiss" <> wrote:
    > Why can't you use the Cisco 805 to take over the routing job of the linux
    > box?
    > You should be able to use sub-interfaces on the lan port to do this.
    > You still need the linux box to supply the DHCP, unless the Cisco 805 can
    > supply it (I haven't worked much with that series).
    >
    > A router with 4 interfaces can be costly.
    >
    > Theiss
    >
    > "HangaS" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...
    >
    >
    >
    > > Hi

    >
    > > I currently have in a network a Linux box acting as router. This box
    > > as acts an interVLAN router that connects 3 VLANs and provides DHCP
    > > to
    > > each VLAN. A fourth interface is connected to a Cisco 805 that does
    > > the NAT for each of the VLANs access the internet.

    >
    > > I now want to replace this linux box with a dedicated router, which
    > > can have ate least 4 interfaces and can also provide DHPC  to each
    > > one.

    >
    > > It doesn't have to support VLANs, as VLANs are handled by a 3COM 3300
    > > Switch I just want a router with can router between the 3 vlans and
    > > the internet router.

    >
    > > I was looking as the CISCO 2801 Integrated services router. Does It
    > > do
    > > what I need?
    > > Can anyone suggest a model for the job?

    >
    > > Kind Regards
    > > Hangas- Hide quoted text -

    >
    > - Show quoted text -
    HangaS, Jan 10, 2008
    #4
  5. HangaS

    HangaS Guest

    Hi,

    As I mentioned in the previous reply, the router that I'm talking
    about is in fact an 836 (which I believe was replaced by the 876)
    So I can probably do the same with my 836.

    Do you say the 877 (same as the 876 by over ISDN) supports VLANs? You
    mean VLAN tagging et all?

    Miguel

    On Jan 9, 9:31 pm, Network Blackjack <> wrote:
    > HangaS wrote:
    > > I currently have in a network a Linux box acting as router. This box
    > > as acts an interVLAN router that connects 3 VLANs and provides DHCP
    > > to
    > > each VLAN. A fourth interface is connected to a Cisco 805 that does
    > > the NAT for each of the VLANs access the internet.

    >
    > > I now want to replace this linux box with a dedicated router, which
    > > can have ate least 4 interfaces and can also provide DHPC  to each
    > > one.

    >
    > > It doesn't have to support VLANs, as VLANs are handled by a 3COM 3300
    > > Switch I just want a router with can router between the 3 vlans and
    > > the internet router.

    >
    > > I was looking as the CISCO 2801 Integrated services router. Does It
    > > do
    > > what I need?
    > > Can anyone suggest a model for the job?

    >
    > I'm a big fan of the 877-sec-k9. It's like working with a layer 3 switch. Utilization of the dsl interface is optional. Just trunk it to a switch and rock out. Supports vlans, trunking, zone policy firewall, v6v4 tunneling, dmvpn. Very cool router.- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -
    HangaS, Jan 10, 2008
    #5
  6. HangaS

    Theiss Guest

    HangaS

    If you assign different subnet to your vlans, the router will route between
    the vlan/subnets. However, you can use access-list to filter our the
    traffic between vlan/subnet. You may need to assign a vlan/subnet
    exclusively for the server so that every other vlan can access the server
    but can't see/talk amongst themselves.

    Theiss



    "HangaS" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi Theiss,
    >
    > Well, I didn't knew I could.
    > In fact altough I also have 805, the router that will be part of this
    > setup is in fact a 836, but its also a 800 series so should be the
    > same.
    >
    > The reason why I thought I couldn't use the 386 is because it only has
    > 2 interfaces ethernet0 and ethernet2(if enabled) and I though that I
    > had to have
    > an interface to terminate each VLAN.
    >
    > What you are saying also makes sense to me, hook all the VLAN "ends"
    > in the ethernet0 and use subinterfaces. I'm not very familiar with
    > subinterfaces in IOS
    > but I believe it should be the same as IP aliasing in Linux.
    >
    > A few questions though.
    >
    > Can I use acess lists to filter trafing between subinterfaces?
    > Wouldn't the traffic from on VLAN "leak" to the other VLANs because
    > their are also tied up in the same phisical connection?
    >
    > That's the main reason I tought of a router with several interfaces.
    >
    > Regarding the DHCP, yes the 836 (and I believe the 805 also) can
    > provide a DHCP pool. I'm currently using one for the VPDN tunnel.
    >
    >
    > Many thanks by the tip!
    > HangaS
    >
    >
    > On Jan 9, 6:13 pm, "Theiss" <> wrote:
    >> Why can't you use the Cisco 805 to take over the routing job of the linux
    >> box?
    >> You should be able to use sub-interfaces on the lan port to do this.
    >> You still need the linux box to supply the DHCP, unless the Cisco 805 can
    >> supply it (I haven't worked much with that series).
    >>
    >> A router with 4 interfaces can be costly.
    >>
    >> Theiss
    >>
    >> "HangaS" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:...
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> > Hi

    >>
    >> > I currently have in a network a Linux box acting as router. This box
    >> > as acts an interVLAN router that connects 3 VLANs and provides DHCP
    >> > to
    >> > each VLAN. A fourth interface is connected to a Cisco 805 that does
    >> > the NAT for each of the VLANs access the internet.

    >>
    >> > I now want to replace this linux box with a dedicated router, which
    >> > can have ate least 4 interfaces and can also provide DHPC to each
    >> > one.

    >>
    >> > It doesn't have to support VLANs, as VLANs are handled by a 3COM 3300
    >> > Switch I just want a router with can router between the 3 vlans and
    >> > the internet router.

    >>
    >> > I was looking as the CISCO 2801 Integrated services router. Does It
    >> > do
    >> > what I need?
    >> > Can anyone suggest a model for the job?

    >>
    >> > Kind Regards
    >> > Hangas- Hide quoted text -

    >>
    >> - Show quoted text -

    >
    Theiss, Jan 10, 2008
    #6
  7. HangaS wrote:
    > As I mentioned in the previous reply, the router that I'm talking
    > about is in fact an 836 (which I believe was replaced by the 876)
    > So I can probably do the same with my 836.
    >
    > Do you say the 877 (same as the 876 by over ISDN) supports VLANs? You
    > mean VLAN tagging et all?


    The 870 advanced image supports 4 vlans and 802.1q trunking. I have found the need to do extensive feature research when selecting a cisco router, as many devices lack a number of features. The sec-k9 is loaded. What type of wan connection do you have? There is probably no reason that one device can't do it all.
    Network Blackjack, Jan 10, 2008
    #7
  8. HangaS

    rpcblast Guest

    On Jan 10, 9:50 am, Network Blackjack <> wrote:
    > HangaS wrote:
    > > As I mentioned in the previous reply, the router that I'm talking
    > > about is in fact an 836 (which I believe was replaced by the 876)
    > > So I can probably do the same with my 836.

    >
    > > Do you say the 877 (same as the 876 by over ISDN) supports VLANs? You
    > > mean VLAN tagging et all?

    >
    > The 870 advanced image supports 4 vlans and 802.1q trunking. I have found the need to do extensive feature research when selecting a cisco router, as many devices lack a number of features. The sec-k9 is loaded. What type of wan connection do you have? There is probably no reason that one device can't do it all.


    I am not sure fmo a performance standpoint, but from a features
    standpoint it sounds like a 1721 might be another option. I have this
    set up at home where I have one physical connection to my
    router(802.1q trunk between my switch), and everything plugs into my
    switch. One vlan is for the internet connetion from comcast, one is
    for my main internal network, one is for my wireless, one is for a
    test network. As far as I can tell nothing leaks between Vlans. Now
    performance may be an issue as I have found it is fairly easy to
    overload the 1721 with p2p programs or extensive vpn use.
    rpcblast, Jan 10, 2008
    #8
  9. HangaS

    HangaS Guest

    I have an ADSL connection over ISDN. That was the reason I elected the
    836 in the past.
    I also had an 805 on Leased Line but was disabled in the beggining of
    the year.
    So now I only have the 836 connected to the linux router. In a near
    future I will also have another ADSL2+ connection so I may connect a
    837 that I have in the closet.

    HangaS

    On Jan 10, 2:50 pm, Network Blackjack <> wrote:
    > HangaS wrote:
    > > As I mentioned in the previous reply, the router that I'm talking
    > > about is in fact an 836 (which I believe was replaced by the 876)
    > > So I can probably do the same with my 836.

    >
    > > Do you say the 877 (same as the 876 by over ISDN) supports VLANs? You
    > > mean VLAN tagging et all?

    >
    > The 870 advanced image supports 4 vlans and 802.1q trunking. I have found the need to do extensive feature research when selecting a cisco router, as many devices lack a number of features. The sec-k9 is loaded. What type of wan connection do you have? There is probably no reason that one device can't do it all.
    HangaS, Jan 10, 2008
    #9
  10. > > HangaS wrote:
    > > > As I mentioned in the previous reply, the router that I'm talking
    > > > about is in fact an 836 (which I believe was replaced by the 876)
    > > > So I can probably do the same with my 836.

    > >
    > > > Do you say the 877 (same as the 876 by over ISDN) supports VLANs? You
    > > > mean VLAN tagging et all?


    > Network Blackjack wrote:
    > > The 870 advanced image supports 4 vlans and 802.1q trunking. I have found the need to do extensive feature research when selecting a cisco router, as many devices lack a number of features. The sec-k9 is loaded. What type of wan connection do you have? There is probably no reason that one device can't do it all.


    rpcblast wrote:
    > I am not sure fmo a performance standpoint, but from a features
    > standpoint it sounds like a 1721 might be another option. I have this
    > set up at home where I have one physical connection to my
    > router(802.1q trunk between my switch), and everything plugs into my
    > switch. One vlan is for the internet connetion from comcast, one is
    > for my main internal network, one is for my wireless, one is for a
    > test network. As far as I can tell nothing leaks between Vlans. Now
    > performance may be an issue as I have found it is fairly easy to
    > overload the 1721 with p2p programs or extensive vpn use.


    I used a 1721 before I migrated to the 877. The difference in cost is substantial: 1200 for the 1721 base image vs. 500 for the 877 advanced image. Obviously, the 1700 probably offers superior performance. Just had to go with the advanced image for v6 tunneling.
    Network Blackjack, Jan 10, 2008
    #10
  11. I personally would lean toward a layer3 switch. If a 3650/3750 isn't in
    your budget range, I would look for a used 3550 running the layer3 image.

    Scott
    www.xpresslearn.com

    HangaS wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I currently have in a network a Linux box acting as router. This box
    > as acts an interVLAN router that connects 3 VLANs and provides DHCP
    > to
    > each VLAN. A fourth interface is connected to a Cisco 805 that does
    > the NAT for each of the VLANs access the internet.
    >
    >
    > I now want to replace this linux box with a dedicated router, which
    > can have ate least 4 interfaces and can also provide DHPC to each
    > one.
    >
    >
    > It doesn't have to support VLANs, as VLANs are handled by a 3COM 3300
    > Switch I just want a router with can router between the 3 vlans and
    > the internet router.
    >
    >
    > I was looking as the CISCO 2801 Integrated services router. Does It
    > do
    > what I need?
    > Can anyone suggest a model for the job?
    >
    >
    > Kind Regards
    > Hangas
    >
    >
    xpresslearn.com, Jan 11, 2008
    #11
  12. HangaS

    azev Guest

    On Jan 10, 5:28 pm, "xpresslearn.com" <>
    wrote:
    > I personally would lean toward a layer3 switch.  If a 3650/3750 isn't in
    > your budget range, I would look for a used 3550 running the layer3 image.
    >
    > Scottwww.xpresslearn.comHangaS wrote:
    > > Hi

    >
    > > I currently have in a network a Linux box acting as router. This box
    > > as acts an interVLAN router that connects 3 VLANs and provides DHCP
    > > to
    > > each VLAN. A fourth interface is connected to a Cisco 805 that does
    > > the NAT for each of the VLANs access the internet.

    >
    > > I now want to replace this linux box with a dedicated router, which
    > > can have ate least 4 interfaces and can also provide DHPC  to each
    > > one.

    >
    > > It doesn't have to support VLANs, as VLANs are handled by a 3COM 3300
    > > Switch I just want a router with can router between the 3 vlans and
    > > the internet router.

    >
    > > I was looking as the CISCO 2801 Integrated services router. Does It
    > > do
    > > what I need?
    > > Can anyone suggest a model for the job?

    >
    > > Kind Regards
    > > Hangas


    2801 and a managed switch can do exactly what you wanted.
    azev, Jan 11, 2008
    #12
  13. HangaS

    HangaS Guest

    Yes, it is way far behond my buget range.
    I was hopping something in the price range of the 2801 or cheaper.


    On Jan 11, 1:28 am, "xpresslearn.com" <>
    wrote:
    > I personally would lean toward a layer3 switch.  If a 3650/3750 isn't in
    > your budget range, I would look for a used 3550 running the layer3 image.
    >
    > Scottwww.xpresslearn.com
    >
    >
    >
    > HangaS wrote:
    > > Hi

    >
    > > I currently have in a network a Linux box acting as router. This box
    > > as acts an interVLAN router that connects 3 VLANs and provides DHCP
    > > to
    > > each VLAN. A fourth interface is connected to a Cisco 805 that does
    > > the NAT for each of the VLANs access the internet.

    >
    > > I now want to replace this linux box with a dedicated router, which
    > > can have ate least 4 interfaces and can also provide DHPC  to each
    > > one.

    >
    > > It doesn't have to support VLANs, as VLANs are handled by a 3COM 3300
    > > Switch I just want a router with can router between the 3 vlans and
    > > the internet router.

    >
    > > I was looking as the CISCO 2801 Integrated services router. Does It
    > > do
    > > what I need?
    > > Can anyone suggest a model for the job?

    >
    > > Kind Regards
    > > Hangas- Hide quoted text -

    >
    > - Show quoted text -
    HangaS, Jan 14, 2008
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Bob La Londe

    Best Small Wireless Equipment

    Bob La Londe, Aug 2, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,434
    =?Utf-8?B?Q29uZnVzZWRpblRleGFz?=
    Aug 21, 2004
  2. Joel Dorfan

    Replacing UTP with wireless, what equipment?

    Joel Dorfan, Oct 30, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    543
    Joel Dorfan
    Oct 31, 2004
  3. =?Utf-8?B?bWFyc2h1cg==?=

    Wireless help getting the right equipment

    =?Utf-8?B?bWFyc2h1cg==?=, Aug 9, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    438
    =?Utf-8?B?bWFyc2h1cg==?=
    Aug 9, 2005
  4. George

    Wireless Equipment

    George, Sep 14, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    457
    Jack \(MVP\)
    Sep 14, 2005
  5. Giuen
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    831
    Giuen
    Sep 12, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page