    I need to connect these two together so I can lock my neighbors out of my
    access point but can't resolve the difference in terms.

    TIA
    Andy Whitney, Aug 18, 2008

  2. Hi
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 18, 2008

  3. Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > Hi
    > From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    > No Security
    > MAC______(Band Aid if nothing else is available).
    > WEP64____(Easy, to "Break" by knowledgeable people).
    > WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
    > WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    > WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    > WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    > Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
    > Note 2: If you use WinXP and did not updated it you would have to
    > download the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357
    > The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and
    > Wireless Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is
    > available with your Wireless hardware.
    > All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
    > phrase.
    > Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best
    > possible of one of the Wireless devices.
    > I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to
    > the max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to
    > max . of WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
    > If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that
    > can do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network,
    > replace the device with a better one.
    > Setting Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Andy Whitney" <> wrote in message
    >> Security on my netgear router has only WEP
    >> Authentication type is: Automatic, Shared Key and Open System
    >> with the encryption strength of Disable, 64 bit and 128 bit
    >>
    >> How do these relate to Vista and its Security of
    >>
    >> Shared, WPA-2 Personal, WPA-Personal, 802.1x, and two enterprise WPA's
    >>

    >> I need to connect these two together so I can lock my neighbors out of
    >> my access point but can't resolve the difference in terms.
    >>
    >> TIA

    The problem is matching the 54terms from the router to the terms of the
    vista configuration.

    I did Automatic and enable with WEP 64 bit encryption at the router with
    13 character passphrase, then went to Vista, Open and entered the
    passphrase. I can connect to the router but cannot get through to the
    internet. A direct connected computer to the router has no problems
    getting to the internet.
    When I dropped the encryption, all laptops connect to the router and the
    internet.

    Some incompatability in the configurations between the router and the
    vista laptops.

    GWB
    George W. Barrowcliff, Aug 19, 2008
  4. Andy Whitney

    Lem Guest

    Andy Whitney wrote:
    > Security on my netgear router has only WEP
    > Authentication type is: Automatic, Shared Key and Open System
    > with the encryption strength of Disable, 64 bit and 128 bit
    >
    > How do these relate to Vista and its Security of
    >
    > Shared, WPA-2 Personal, WPA-Personal, 802.1x, and two enterprise WPA's
    >

    > I need to connect these two together so I can lock my neighbors out of my
    > access point but can't resolve the difference in terms.
    >
    > TIA

    Unless you have an old Netgear router, it should be capable of WPA2 or
    at least WPA. You may have to install up-to-date firmware. What model
    Netgear do you have?

    As far as the Vista options go:

    Use WPA2-Personal (preferably) or WPA-Personal.

    Do *NOT* use 802.1x or either of the "enterprise" WPA options.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Aug 19, 2008
  5. Andy Whitney

    Lem Guest

    George W. Barrowcliff wrote:
    > Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    >> No Security
    >> MAC______(Band Aid if nothing else is available).
    >> WEP64____(Easy, to "Break" by knowledgeable people).
    >> WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
    >> WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    >> WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    >> WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    >> Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
    >> Note 2: If you use WinXP and did not updated it you would have to
    >> download the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357
    >> The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and
    >> Wireless Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is
    >> available with your Wireless hardware.
    >> All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
    >> phrase.
    >> Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best
    >> possible of one of the Wireless devices.
    >> I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to
    >> the max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to
    >> max . of WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
    >> If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card
    >> that can do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole
    >> Network, replace the device with a better one.
    >> Setting Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "Andy Whitney" <> wrote in message
    >>> Security on my netgear router has only WEP
    >>> Authentication type is: Automatic, Shared Key and Open System
    >>> with the encryption strength of Disable, 64 bit and 128 bit
    >>>
    >>> How do these relate to Vista and its Security of
    >>>
    >>> Shared, WPA-2 Personal, WPA-Personal, 802.1x, and two enterprise WPA's
    >>>

    >>> I need to connect these two together so I can lock my neighbors out
    >>> of my access point but can't resolve the difference in terms.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>

    > The problem is matching the 54terms from the router to the terms of the
    > vista configuration.
    >
    > I did Automatic and enable with WEP 64 bit encryption at the router with
    > 13 character passphrase, then went to Vista, Open and entered the
    > passphrase. I can connect to the router but cannot get through to the
    > internet. A direct connected computer to the router has no problems
    > getting to the internet.
    > When I dropped the encryption, all laptops connect to the router and the
    > internet.
    >
    > Some incompatability in the configurations between the router and the
    > vista laptops.
    >
    > GWB

    Read Jack's post. A "direct connected" computer (i.e., one that is
    connected to the router with an Ethernet cable) does not use any
    encryption. Encryption is a security model for wireless networking only.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Aug 19, 2008
  6. Andy Whitney

    Barb Bowman Guest

    As Lem mentioned, unless the Netgear is an old 802.11b wireless
    router, there may be firmware that enables WPA2/WPA. What modem
    router and what hardware version?

    If it is an old 802.11b only router, you should replace it, since
    WEP is just NOT safe to use.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP