    Commerce Server (70-234). Does anyone know anything about these last two and
    what the market demand is? Thanks for your input.

    Rick

    Rick, Dec 16, 2003

  2. BizTalk is a product for extranet type communication. It allows an
    Enterprise to easily map their schema to other schemas. Input and output in
    XML, as well as many other common formats (like EDI). BizTalk is a good
    skill to have, but I am not sure it outweighs SQL Server, as databases are
    everywhere. It could be a great niche skill, but you should note that
    BizTalk 2004 is out soon, which will be a completely different bear.

    Commerce Server is aimed more for B2C websites that sell something. I have
    seen it used in different business I have consulted for, but it is not
    extremely prevalent. Nice system, but I find many organizations would rather
    custom build their commerce pipelines.

    I would recommend SQL Server first, unless you see yourself in a niche,
    which could be profitable for your career. If so, I would choose BizTalk. I
    see no reason for Commerce Server at this time, even though it is a great
    product. If you have a local company (or companies) advertising Commerce
    Server, you might change your mind, but SQL would be preferable, as would
    BizTalk.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!
    "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm pretty close to deciding to go through with this and get myself
    > certified. For the elective I'm leaning toward SQL (70-229) since I'm

    seeing

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Dec 16, 2003

  3. I would definitely second what Greg has recommended. Go for SQL Server 2000
    all the way!

    On a somewhat side note, I would also recommend getting some Oracle practice
    under your belt after passing the SQL Exam. You can download evaluation
    software from Oracle's site to play with. You'll find that some shops are
    either all SQL Server or all Oracle, but most large shops have some mix of
    both. Picking up Oracle after you're familiar isn't that tough, but some
    things are a bit different.

    HTH,

    --
    Leigh Kendall
    MCSD, MCDBA, MCT

    message news:%...

    Leigh Kendall, Dec 16, 2003
  4. Rick

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >I'm seeing
    >some demand out there in the job ads.

    Unless you have experience, no exam on it's own will do you any good.
    Nevertheless, 229 is easy although 230 did have a ridiculously low
    passing score.

    Kline Sphere, Dec 16, 2003
  5. The site for Oracle: http://technet.oracle.com - you have to join, but then
    you can download any Oracle software for your personal use.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Dec 17, 2003
  6. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks for the responses. The consensus is definitely SQL which is what I'll
    take.

    Rick

    Rick, Dec 19, 2003
  7. Rick

    Crystal Guest

    Biztalk is a piece of crap. (Maybe 2004 will change my mind, but 2002
    sucks.) Noone uses it except for a handful of companies. I'd take the SQL
    exam if I were you.

    Crystal, Jan 6, 2004
  8. >Noone uses it except for a handful of companies.

    This should be rephrased to 'No none understands how to use it except
    for a handful of companies'.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jan 7, 2004