    comparable prices to the ProDisks.

    Thanks,

    Marshall

    Marshall Dudley, Nov 15, 2004

  2. Marshall Dudley

    Biz Guest

    Dump that old POS A110. Its your cheapest solution that allows you to stick
    with your substandard media.

    Biz, Nov 15, 2004

  3. Marshall Dudley

    Pug Fugley Guest

    Good God, get rid of that 7 year old player. It's a miracle it still comes
    on.

    Pug Fugley, Nov 16, 2004
  4. >I have a Pioneer DVD recorder and a Panasonic A110 player.

    You have a very old player.

    Ignore the other responses, though. If it still works, continue using it until
    it won't go any further. The A110 does use a very good MPEG decoder, unlike
    the newest generation of Panasonic players where the MPEG decoders in those
    things went to crap, qualitywise.

    >When I first
    >bought the recorder, I purchased some Maxwell DVD-R disks to record on,
    >and they play fine on the Panasonic. However, I then orders 100 of the
    >ProDisk disks and found that they will not play reliably on the
    >Panasonic.

    Cheap media. Newer players *might* be able to deal with it, but ultimately due
    to the low quality of the ProDisc media that you are using, you will be writing
    flawed discs. The Panny may be more sensitive to that if you factor the
    player's age and hours of use.

    One way to work around this is to reduce the writing speed, especially if you
    are writing discs at maximum speed. Sometimes, you can make more accurate
    writes on less-than-perfect media and even on good media by reducing the
    writing speed.

    > I can get Fuji, Phillips and Memorex for
    >comparable prices to the ProDisks

    Try Fuji. Stay away from Memorex. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Nov 16, 2004
  5. Marshall Dudley

    Pug Fugley Guest

    "LASERandDVDfan" <> wrote in message
    > >I have a Pioneer DVD recorder and a Panasonic A110 player.

    > You have a very old player.
    >
    > Ignore the other responses, though. If it still works, continue using it

    until
    > it won't go any further.

    Sounds like that time has come. I replaced my A110 5 years ago because it
    would not read any type of recordable media nor would it read the new
    commercial DVD's that were being released at the time.

    Pug Fugley, Nov 16, 2004
  6. Marshall Dudley

    Big Boy Guest

    Marshall Dudley wrote:
    > I have a Pioneer DVD recorder and a Panasonic A110 player. When I first
    > bought the recorder, I purchased some Maxwell DVD-R disks to record on,
    > and they play fine on the Panasonic. However, I then orders 100 of the
    > ProDisk disks and found that they will not play reliably on the
    > Panasonic. If they will read at all they end up full of drop outs, and
    > within 30 minutes the player will lock up totally. I need to purchase
    > some more disks, but can't afford the $1.50 each I paid for the
    > Maxwell's (the prodisks were about $.36 each). It is a player issue
    > since I have tested playing the DVD-R disks on 6 other players, and they
    > play fine on them.
    >
    > Does anyone have experience with different DVD-R media and this player
    > who can advise me on a brand that will work reliably, but not be
    > expensive like the Maxwells? I can get Fuji, Phillips and Memorex for
    > comparable prices to the ProDisks.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Marshall

    I have the (even older) Panasonic A100 and I use Ritek DVD-R discs
    with no problems. Riteks cost ~$0.40 each.

    BB

    Big Boy, Nov 16, 2004
  7. Marshall Dudley

    Sydney Brown Guest

    I use the A110 as a backup player, and I've had many of the same problems
    you're talking about.

    Blank Sony's are the way to go. You can buy 25 and 50 packs at very affordable
    prices (I've bought a 50 pack at CompUSA for $25) and so far I have yet to have
    a problem in my old player. Verbatim's also have been pretty reliable, though
    not as easy to find and a little more expensive.

    It's kinda disturbing to think that owning ANYTHING for a few years makes it a
    POS. A computer yeah, but a DVD player? Geez.

    And another word of advice: Avoid Memorex.

    -Sydney Brown

    I'm just here to help.

    Sydney Brown, Nov 16, 2004
  8. Sydney Brown wrote:

    > And another word of advice: Avoid Memorex.

    Or not. It's the only media that after hundreds
    and hundreds of recordings on the home recorder
    and pc burner have never had an error and have
    never failed to play on any player of any person
    I've sent them to.

    drc :)

    Darrel Christenson, Nov 16, 2004
  9. 5 memorex dvd-rw (rewritables for $10)

    hoo-dair hoo-dat, Nov 16, 2004
  10. Marshall Dudley

    Jason Guest

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 02:40:38 GMT, "Pug Fugley" <> wrote:

    >"LASERandDVDfan" <> wrote in message
    >> >I have a Pioneer DVD recorder and a Panasonic A110 player.

    >> You have a very old player.
    >>
    >> Ignore the other responses, though. If it still works, continue using it

    >until
    >> it won't go any further.

    >Sounds like that time has come. I replaced my A110 5 years ago because it
    >would not read any type of recordable media nor would it read the new
    >commercial DVD's that were being released at the time.

    I'm still using the A110 that I bought in March of 1998 and have only
    had about 4 commercial DVD's that would not play in it; and I've
    purchased over 1000. I've tried maybe 10 or 12 recordable DVD's, and
    of those only 1 did not work.

    Jason, Nov 16, 2004
  11. "Pug Fugley" <> wrote in message news:<Nycmd.27439$>...
    > Good God, get rid of that 7 year old player. It's a miracle it still comes
    > on.
    >

    > "Marshall Dudley" <> wrote in message
    > > I have a Pioneer DVD recorder and a Panasonic A110 player. When I first
    > > bought the recorder, I purchased some Maxwell DVD-R disks to record on,
    > > and they play fine on the Panasonic. However, I then orders 100 of the
    > > ProDisk disks and found that they will not play reliably on the
    > > Panasonic. If they will read at all they end up full of drop outs, and
    > > within 30 minutes the player will lock up totally. I need to purchase
    > > some more disks, but can't afford the $1.50 each I paid for the
    > > Maxwell's (the prodisks were about $.36 each). It is a player issue
    > > since I have tested playing the DVD-R disks on 6 other players, and they
    > > play fine on them.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have experience with different DVD-R media and this player
    > > who can advise me on a brand that will work reliably, but not be
    > > expensive like the Maxwells? I can get Fuji, Phillips and Memorex for
    > > comparable prices to the ProDisks.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Marshall

    Well as you said you tried the ProDisks in 6 other players and they
    worked fine so obviously your problem is not the cheap media but your
    really-really-old Panasonic A110 that was a piece of shit when it was
    new. It was old when I bought my first player, a JVC 501BK, for $300
    all those years ago. I know it holds a lot of sentimental feelings
    but it's time to let it go and get a new cheap chinese-made dvd player
    that can handle anything you throw at it.

    Speaking of crappy name-brand dvd players, my JVC 501BK is still
    sitting in the living room of my parents house where I left it after
    moving out. It gets very little use since they watch satellite dish
    more than dvds. In fact when they did try to play "Gangs of New York"
    on it the second disc wouldn't work and I ended up having to lend them
    my portable dvd player just so they could see the second half of the
    movie. Now when I visit, just for kicks, I put in a burned vcd and
    see it go nuts trying to read it then after awhile I might do the
    "reset" prescribed by JVC to fix it like all their other crappy dvd
    players.

    Joseph Phillips, Nov 16, 2004
  12. Can you give me the brand names that did work? I bought some Fuji's last night,
    but they also have drop out problems with the A110. I have about a library of
    250 DVD's and the only one that does not work is Lady in White, which use to
    work.

    Thanks,

    Marshall

    Marshall Dudley, Nov 16, 2004
  13. In article <>,
    (Joseph Phillips) wrote:

    > Well as you said you tried the ProDisks in 6 other players and they
    > worked fine so obviously your problem is not the cheap media but your
    > really-really-old Panasonic A110 that was a piece of shit when it was
    > new.

    Add another who gave his A110 away to the less fortunate. That player
    was guaranteed to give me a problem with something at least once a
    month. With DVD player prices as low as they are there is NO reason to
    hold on to an old player like this.

    Reginald Dwight, Nov 16, 2004
  14. >Sounds like that time has come. I replaced my A110 5 years ago because it
    >would not read any type of recordable media nor would it read the new
    >commercial DVD's that were being released at the time.

    Then, yes, the time for replacement had come for you on your A110 since it's
    failure is, more or less, due to a design flaw in the optical pickup, for which
    the first and second generation Panasonics were famous for (and a problem which
    caused a class action suit to be filed against Panasonic).

    However, if the original poster's A110 is still working but only having
    problems with a specific brand of DVD-R media, then there is no reason to
    replace it, especially if all he uses it for is playing DVDs. I would keep the
    player and continue to use it until it won't go any further. Eventually, it
    may develop a problem where the player may suddenly stop playing a disc during
    a viewing and will no longer read anything from then on.

    The best players Panasonic ever produced were those made for the fourth
    generation, including the excellent DVD-RV30. Many of models of that
    particular generation are still in service and working reliably, although they
    used a single laser diode pickup rendering it useless with CD-R media.

    Things went downhill when Panasonic revised their players for the fifth
    generation and just kept getting worse as time went by with problems stemming
    from poorly designed spindle mechanisms (replacing the brushless motors that
    Pannys usually used with regular Mabuchi brush motors) up to using inferior
    MPEG decoders with the current generation. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Nov 16, 2004
  15. >Can you give me the brand names that did work? I bought some Fuji's last
    >night,
    >but they also have drop out problems with the A110. I have about a library
    >of
    >250 DVD's and the only one that does not work is Lady in White, which use to
    >work.

    It could be possible that the player's pickup is starting to become marginal.
    - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Nov 16, 2004
  16. >Or not. It's the only media that after hundreds
    >and hundreds of recordings on the home recorder
    >and pc burner have never had an error and have
    >never failed to play on any player of any person
    >I've sent them to.

    The problem with Memorex is that they constantly change OEM suppliers, which
    makes judging their overall quality difficult. At one point, they have discs
    made by CMC. Then, they start having discs made by Ritek. And, etc.

    Rather than play a game, I choose not to buy Memorex or Dysan media. -
    Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Nov 17, 2004
  17. >It was old when I bought my first player, a JVC 501BK, for $300
    >all those years ago. I know it holds a lot of sentimental feelings
    >but it's time to let it go and get a new cheap chinese-made dvd player
    >that can handle anything you throw at it.

    That's strange, I've seen Apex players completely choke on RSDL discs when the
    cheap pickups in some of their IDE drives went south.

    >Speaking of crappy name-brand dvd players, my JVC 501BK is still
    >sitting in the living room of my parents house where I left it after
    >moving out.

    Older Panasonic and JVC players were awful. Awful enough to have a class
    action suit brought against Matsushita for problems arising from players made
    during the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generations.

    Now, fast forward to today. I'd only buy a 4th generation Panasonic while I'd
    not hesistate to buy a current model JVC.

    >It gets very little use since they watch satellite dish
    >more than dvds. In fact when they did try to play "Gangs of New York"
    >on it the second disc wouldn't work

    Possible that how the disc was authored caused a compatibility problem with the
    older JVC player.

    >Now when I visit, just for kicks, I put in a burned vcd and
    >see it go nuts trying to read it then after awhile I might do the
    >"reset" prescribed by JVC to fix it like all their other crappy dvd
    >players.

    How brilliant. You surmise that a player is crappy just because it can't deal
    with CD-R media ... when most players produced during the time that the JVC was
    made weren't capable of reading them anyways since they used a single laser
    diode optimized for DVD.

    Just because a DVD player, especially a vintage machine, can't read a CD-R
    doesn't mean that it's crappy. It means that it just isn't capable of reading
    CD-R discs, which isn't a reason why someone buys a DVD player to begin with.
    It's nice to be able to read CD-Rs in a DVD player, but you don't need it if
    all you will use the player for is playing DVDs. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Nov 17, 2004
  18. (LASERandDVDfan) wrote in message news:<>...
    > >It was old when I bought my first player, a JVC 501BK, for $300
    > >all those years ago. I know it holds a lot of sentimental feelings
    > >but it's time to let it go and get a new cheap chinese-made dvd player
    > >that can handle anything you throw at it.

    > That's strange, I've seen Apex players completely choke on RSDL discs when the
    > cheap pickups in some of their IDE drives went south.
    >
    > >Speaking of crappy name-brand dvd players, my JVC 501BK is still
    > >sitting in the living room of my parents house where I left it after
    > >moving out.

    > Older Panasonic and JVC players were awful. Awful enough to have a class
    > action suit brought against Matsushita for problems arising from players made
    > during the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generations.
    >
    > Now, fast forward to today. I'd only buy a 4th generation Panasonic while I'd
    > not hesistate to buy a current model JVC.
    >
    > >It gets very little use since they watch satellite dish
    > >more than dvds. In fact when they did try to play "Gangs of New York"
    > >on it the second disc wouldn't work

    > Possible that how the disc was authored caused a compatibility problem with the
    > older JVC player.
    >
    > >Now when I visit, just for kicks, I put in a burned vcd and
    > >see it go nuts trying to read it then after awhile I might do the
    > >"reset" prescribed by JVC to fix it like all their other crappy dvd
    > >players.

    > How brilliant. You surmise that a player is crappy just because it can't deal
    > with CD-R media ... when most players produced during the time that the JVC was
    > made weren't capable of reading them anyways since they used a single laser
    > diode optimized for DVD.
    >
    > Just because a DVD player, especially a vintage machine, can't read a CD-R
    > doesn't mean that it's crappy. It means that it just isn't capable of reading
    > CD-R discs, which isn't a reason why someone buys a DVD player to begin with.
    > It's nice to be able to read CD-Rs in a DVD player, but you don't need it if
    > all you will use the player for is playing DVDs. - Reinhart

    Yes I know it is incapable of reading burned discs. I do it for fun.
    It's my way of getting back at the piece of shit for having so much
    trouble with read dvds and vcds.

    Joseph Phillips, Nov 17, 2004